Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

I just checked several Heathrow real estate sites ... and they all say Heathrow is in Lake Mary, FL. I always thought that Heathrow was a development and Lake Mary was a municipality. So it make sense that you can be in Heathrow and Lake Mary. Now Sanford is another story.

You are correct in that Heathrow is a development and Lake Mary is a municipality. Lake Mary is East of I-4, Heathrow is West of I-4. The only part of Lake Mary that is West of I-4 is the Lake Mary Marroitt. They grabbed that little parcel. Everything North of 46A is Sanford on the East of I-4 and unicorporated Seminole County on the West of I-4.

Heathrow is not in Lake Mary it just shares the same zip code. Just like Sweetwater shares it's zip code with Apopka even though it is in Seminole County. Sweetwater residents have tried, unsuccessfully, to get their zip code changed to 32779, (Longwood), for years.

Funny how these areas don't wanna be associated with Sanford. Is Sanford that bad of a city?

having lived there the first 20 years of my life, i'd say it's a "worn" city. but it's still home to me, so when i go there, i see how far it's come as opposed to what it's lacking.

having lived there the first 20 years of my life, i'd say it's a "worn" city. but it's still home to me, so when i go there, i see how far it's come as opposed to what it's lacking.

I agree, "worn" is a good choice of word. Sometimes I feel our local gov't has given up on Sanford and if you notice all other cities surrounding it are alot nicer. Just my opinion.

Edited by Franchise

I don't live there, but I agree. Sanford has improved considerably over the years, but is still a little rough around the edges. I see it continually getting better though. The commuter rail stop will help.

^^

they redid 1st Street or whatever and it's real nice now; downtown is surrounded by lots of historic neighborhoods... and some blight. it is a result of the suburb phenomenon... some new stuff on the Lake... could take a while to get downtown revitalized.

^^

they redid 1st Street or whatever and it's real nice now; downtown is surrounded by lots of historic neighborhoods... and some blight. it is a result of the suburb phenomenon... some new stuff on the Lake... could take a while to get downtown revitalized.

Moving the municipal function to the southern end of the county away from the CBD doesn't help either.

Angry residents are fighting Lake County's approval of the controversial Plaza Collina shopping center.

Officials in Clermont and Oakland have complained about potential impacts to the fast-growing area. Then many residents joined the dispute when partners Phoenicia Development and The Goodman Co. floated plans by the county to create a mostly commercial layout of 988,000 square feet of buildings anchored by a 207,000-square-foot Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Wow,, have they Bamboozeled area residents, Clermont doesn't need Two HUGE Walmarts in same town.

Angry residents are fighting Lake County's approval of the controversial Plaza Collina shopping center.

Officials in Clermont and Oakland have complained about potential impacts to the fast-growing area. Then many residents joined the dispute when partners Phoenicia Development and The Goodman Co. floated plans by the county to create a mostly commercial layout of 988,000 square feet of buildings anchored by a 207,000-square-foot Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Wow,, have they Bamboozeled area residents, Clermont doesn't need Two HUGE Walmarts in same town.

It sounded like they showed them a plan with 'upscale' shops and restaurants which they liked, then after approval Wal-Mart decided to move in.

If it was a deliberate deception, that's pretty bad. And knowing Wal-Mart, it probably was. But still, you rent to whoever's buying, it might be a little too late to complain now....

• 2 weeks later...

Celebration consistently pumps out high quality development. Much of Orlando metro's most notable architecture comes right out of that little town.

Just a few "celebrity" architects I can think of without researching that have designed buildings there: Robert Stern, Michael Graves, Philip Johnson, Cesar Pelli, Venturi Scott Brown and Associates.

For all the negative criticism this town receives, it is the only new urbanist town (outside of Seaside) that has so successfully implemented the new urbanist principles. In a sense, Celebration has gone right in every way that Baldwin Park went wrong.

I'm curious, what is your criticism of Celebration?

I would think the whole point of such a development is to get things back to a 'human scale', i.e. homes, goods and services (reasonably priced), and of course jobs, in an area you could walk or bike to. Seaside is ok as the vacation destination it is, but I'm not sure I get the point of Celebration. Is it a vacation place near Disney? Or is it a place where people can actually live? Are there people who live there and work nearby?

And this is no fault of Celebration/Disney, but why is such a development unique? It's sure a big improvement over some other places in the Orlando area. However, the overall layout of the place could have been planned better in my opinion.

I don't really care if they have celebrity architects, I'd just like something designed for our climate and to the site it is built on. That was relatively well done in Seaside, I'm not so sure about Celebration.