Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

That intersection will be wonderful when all of this work is completed. It never amazes me anymore the lengths to which our local government will got to make our quality of life as $h!tty as possible.

Not to sound like I speak from both sides of my mouth but, developers in this town call all the shots. Something has to give, as a whole we cannot continue to allow our local government to develope every f-ing corner because there is nothing else there yet.

Guess the residents of Dr Phillips need a Whole Foods to feel like they have arrived.

If I remember correctly, I think the current Dollywood Dixie Stampede attraction originally wanted to post up on this Whole Foods site but county officials wouldn't allow it. I guess they like their strip malls.

On the other hand, yes, I think most Dr. Phillips residents (aka soccer moms) will welcome the Whole Foods and other higher-brow retail options but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who is happy with the traffic situation in and around DP.

If I remember correctly, I think the current Dollywood Dixie Stampede attraction originally wanted to post up on this Whole Foods site but county officials wouldn't allow it. I guess they like their strip malls.

maybe that was under Chapin, hence the change in philosophy for Turkey Lake Road.

On the other hand, yes, I think most Dr. Phillips residents (aka soccer moms) will welcome the Whole Foods and other higher-brow retail options but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who is happy with the traffic situation in and around DP.

Higher-brow as in Wal-Mart? but its a lake front Wal-Mart so i guess that fixes it :dontknow: . Traffic around here in DP just blows......even if I go south I have to deal with the Disney traffic.

Once upon a time in the not so distant past Turkey Lake Road was a nice, scenic alternative. What a shame how things turned out--truly terrible. So many other cities in the same position would have found a way to preserve this land (and road) and open the lake up to the public.

What does Orlando get instead? a super walmart...

Edited by prahaboheme

Dr. Phillips Wal-mart looks good from the outside and is on the West side of 4.

Aren't you talking about Sand Lake Road and that's on the East side of 4.

Isn't there an old cliche about dressing up a piece of sh*t?

It's amazing how opposed to going UP we are in this entire region. All of Florida is pretty much a mess because everyone has to drive everywhere to get to everything. The entire state was built around the invention of the car... it sucks.

Dr. Phillips Wal-mart looks good from the outside and is on the West side of 4.

Aren't you talking about Sand Lake Road and that's on the East side of 4.

Last time I checked Sand Lake continued west of I-4 into DP. Either way, I don't believe the Wal-Mart or the Whole Foods should be there. If Weingarden needed Whole Foods sooooo bad, they had an empty Gooding's for years that they needed to fill. BTW Weingarden deals with the Marketplace, the Wal-Mart shopping center, and the Whole Foods Center, and I know 2 out of the 3 have about 50% vacancy. Sorry just venting.

well, one thing that i am extremely worried about is the turkey lake / sand lake intersection. it already blows and is only going to get worse. i really dont see an acute solution that could be made. my home is in sand lake point off apopka vineland and there is really no avoiding the traffic. the only alternative is to roll the dice with the lake buena vista exit off I-4 but the odds of having a positive outcome there are worse then winning the lottery.

i guess hopefully that new I-4 interchange by the old rest area through midtown will be a solution. when that happens is the question.

Isn't there an old cliche about dressing up a piece of sh*t?

It's amazing how opposed to going UP we are in this entire region. All of Florida is pretty much a mess because everyone has to drive everywhere to get to everything. The entire state was built around the invention of the car... it sucks.

Sure, lipstick on a pig, perfume on a turd, and what not.

Have we got the worlds biggest strip malls here in Central Fl or what? Right next to the worlds biggest Chez McDo playground! Surely the size of our parking lots is unrivaled as well.

Speaking of Publix, isn't there one on Little Sand Lake already?

Okay then one side is Turkey Lake Road meaning West of 4 and East Side is Sand Lake Road that can get you to Orange Blossom Trail.

Theirs probley a Publix and Ablertsons over their.

Sand Lake Extends east and west of I-4 (Publix, on little sand lake, and Albertsons on the west, Florida Mall on the east). Turkey Lake is north and south and intersects Sand Lake virtually at the I-4 ramp on the west side. That's why there's an issue with Whole Foods. With it being on the corner of what is essentially an intersection of 3 major roads. Less than a mile south of Whole Foods is Wal-Mart Supercenter. To the west of that intersection is the planned 11 story office building as well as the Rialto. The Dellagio is about another mile to the west. Sand Lake doesn't end until Apopka-Vineland about 2 miles west of the I-4, Sand Lake Interchange.

well, one thing that i am extremely worried about is the turkey lake / sand lake intersection. it already blows and is only going to get worse. i really dont see an acute solution that could be made. my home is in sand lake point off apopka vineland and there is really no avoiding the traffic. the only alternative is to roll the dice with the lake buena vista exit off I-4 but the odds of having a positive outcome there are worse then winning the lottery.

i guess hopefully that new I-4 interchange by the old rest area through midtown will be a solution. when that happens is the question.

Logistically, I don't know if it's possible, but I'd love to see a flyover for the people exiting westbound from I-4 at Sand Lake -- one that squeezes between the Whole Foods property and the on-ramp to westbound I-4 (from Sand Lake) and connects into Turkey Lake there at that curve between Whole Foods and Wal-Mart. That, at least, would allow people to bypass that Turkey Lake/Sand Lake intersection -- if their purpose is to visit anything on south Turkey Lake Road (the hospital, Whole Foods, Wal-Mart, the condos, etc.).

Better yet, an off-ramp from westbound I-4 that works in tandem with the Beach Line exit, but allows you to exit onto Turkey Lake.

Logistically, I don't know if it's possible, but I'd love to see a flyover for the people exiting westbound from I-4 at Sand Lake -- one that squeezes between the Whole Foods property and the on-ramp to westbound I-4 (from Sand Lake) and connects into Turkey Lake there at that curve between Whole Foods and Wal-Mart. That, at least, would allow people to bypass that Turkey Lake/Sand Lake intersection -- if their purpose is to visit anything on south Turkey Lake Road (the hospital, Whole Foods, Wal-Mart, the condos, etc.).

Better yet, an off-ramp from westbound I-4 that works in tandem with the Beach Line exit, but allows you to exit onto Turkey Lake.

I've run through so many potential interchanges that I don't know what to do with myself anymore

One that I had was to take the old land from the old 2 lane Turkey Lake road (between the pond and I-4) and build an interchange at Central Florida Parkway.

The other one was to take the road the runs between Whole Foods and I-4 and connect it to the exit ramp for I-4. That way when you get off of 4 and want to go south on Turkey Lake you can continue straight onto that connector road and ACTUALLY INTERSECT TURKEY LAKE ROAD, rather than weaving across lanes to make the left. That connector road would obviously need a light at that intersection.

post-17092-1192647857_thumb.jpg

Edited by codypet