Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

I didn't see a separate thread for the UCF Medical School and Lake Nona area, but UCF got some great news today...

M.D. Anderson signed a deal with UCF and Lake Nona which will only mean TONS of future research $$$$$$$ for both UCF and M.D. Anderson!!!!!

UCF's new med school was already on the MAP with their agreements with Burnham Institute...and just the other day, the Veterans Administration selected the site right next to UCF's new med school as their location of their newest hospital...and now THIS news today!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

-----------------

OrlandoSentinel.com

M.D. Anderson Cancer Center Orlando to move its research institute to Lake Nona

Harry Wessel

Sentinel Staff Writer

December 20, 2007

Lake Nona's burgeoning "medical city" landed another plum Wednesday, with the announcement that M.D. Anderson Cancer Center Orlando will move its Cancer Research Institute there to work with the University of Central Florida.

It was welcome news for Lake Nona, which earlier this month learned that one of its expected tenants, the Nemours Foundation, signed a contract on property for its proposed children's hospital nearly 2 miles away.

But the Lake Nona complex -- anchored by the UCF medical school and the Burnham Institute for Medical Research, both of which have broken ground -- rebounded with two announcements this week:

On Tuesday the Tavistock Group, which owns Lake Nona, announced it had come to terms with the U.S. government for the sale of land for the long-awaited VA hospital.

And on Wednesday came the M.D. Anderson-UCF deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care for the name. I know it's just descriptive, but it rolls off the tongue like "The Villages at Lady Lake". It sounds like a retirement village.

Funny you mentioned that because I automatically thought bad college apartments ie "The Village at Science Drive" or "The Village at Alafaya Club"

so I take it that noone cares that Village at Lake Lilly looks to be U/C now... et tu, Brute, et tu?

I am most definetely excited about it! It is true the name sucks, not really the village part, just I have never cared for the name of the lake. (Lily). But if the place is turns out to be a hot popular place then the name will have a more positive vibe to it.

• 4 weeks later...

17-92 is really gonna be a spectacular street in a few years. It's one of the best drives in Central Florida as is, with Viet Town anchoring it to the south, with Mills/Nebraska on the way, than the Loch Haven Park/FL Hospital, than Winter Park Village, with Maitland Center on the way, and finally Downtown Sanford/Lake Monroe anchoring the north end.. When everything is complete it's gonna be a really interesting drive from Orlando to Sanford. I'm really excited about the idea of all this new development encouraging people to explore the communities that run along it and Sanford.

It's gonna be 200 condos, 250 apt. units, and 40,000 sf of retail.

^^

I agree about the 17/92 corridor. It is really shaping up as of late... it really is. From the Mills Park project to WP Village to the Flemming's Steakhouse bldg. at Lee Rd.; all these projects have made (or will make) a huge visual impact at the street level. They've already built out some parcels near Antonio's closer to Swoope, but this project will be incredible.

all I can say is wow... again. when places like Ravinia seem dead for now and Mills Park is delayed, this, of all projects, gets going. There is one more tidbit of info on this... it is a joint venture between City of Maitland and The Morgan Group of Houston.

in a town where you have horrible streetscapes like E. Colonial (or lack thereof), 17,92 is becoming quite a gem.

yea, I've been following the Lake lily project for quite some time now, as I drive by it every day to work, and I was certainly shocked when I saw that it was actually U/C and not just moving dirt around or other things of that nature

I will try to get some pics up this week of the site

The Copley Square condos that have been under construction on E. Michigan near Delaney for something like the past three or four years are finally finished.

Seems like it's taken forever.

But now that they're finished, I wonder how they're going to sell. They're nice looking places with concrete steps & elevated front stoops, but why would anyone want to have their front doorstep right off of east Michigan St.?

They're not even set back. There's the road, the curb, the sidewalk & the front steps to the condos.

Seems like it might be a bit noisy.

Or dangerous if nothing else.

^^

Maitland-- I read an article in Florida Trend:

http://www.floridatrend.com/article.asp?aID=47949

that's some crazy stuff. makes Veranda look like child's play.

^^

Michigan St.-- gotta tell you all-- I am ultimately excited most about the SODO project. go to that Chipotle or McDonalds, grab a seat, and gaze at that construction. it's a beautiful thing.

The Copley Square condos that have been under construction on E. Michigan near Delaney for something like the past three or four years are finally finished.

Seems like it's taken forever.

But now that they're finished, I wonder how they're going to sell. They're nice looking places with concrete steps & elevated front stoops, but why would anyone want to have their front doorstep right off of east Michigan St.?

They're not even set back. There's the road, the curb, the sidewalk & the front steps to the condos.

Seems like it might be a bit noisy.

Or dangerous if nothing else.

The original plan was to have at least 3 rows of these homes with a winding road and green space going between them. They also reduced the square footage from the original plan. Had they built these back in 2004 as originally planned, the developer would have come out good.

• 3 weeks later...

Cigar shop opens 2nd location

Orlando Business Journal

A new premium cigar retailer this month opened a shop in Veranda Park, its second Central Florida location.

Cigarz on Grande Avenue, which specializes in classic, premium cigars, debuted the new 1,300 square foot store on Piazza Grande Avenue in the MetroWest-area development. Store owners Al and Tom Patel, who also own Cigarz on the Avenue in Winter Park, also have an affiliate store at Universal CityWalk that is under different ownership.

The store, which opened for business last week, is still awaiting a liquor license to sell beer and wine, store manager Dan Carne told Orlando Business Journal. The store also features indoor seating, wide-screen televisions, Wi-Fi access and an outdoor seating area.

I was driving 17-92 through Maitland, last week, and it looks like all the major building sights are dead, save for the development going up near the Enzian.

Anybody know anything ?

no, but don't caount those other ones out just yet... if the City of Maitland is involved, I think they may still go forward like Village at Lake Lilly. especially the new city center where I think Winn Dixie is.

• 2 weeks later...