Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

But of course in this case, we're talking about tourist hotels as opposed to office buildings.

You're right, that seemed to be the focus of the conversation. And I can understand that more than building mini office parks at random highway interchanges...although I think it's important to focus on getting tourists from place to place without using cars as well.

But there are many examples of office buildings built in seemingly random places as well, in addition to poorly (in my mind) thought out ideas like Seminole County's 'Technology Cooridor' or whatever they were going to call it near 434 and the 417. But, then again, it's not like we have much in the way of mass transit nor a whole lot of planning so what are you going to do? It's interesting to see Darden's HQ...it could be more poorly located, since it's in a developed area already at least...but much of it is sketchy and empty storefronts anyway, so who's going to walk, take the bus or ride a bike? But then again, without things like it, then 441 would probably be even worse than it is.

Good to see a new Wal-mart being built but it's not the Supercenter going in Altamonte Springs.

I have no idea where you're talking about but I know they are building a new supercenter at JYP and Princeton.

Yeah!

Millions of square feet of empty or underused storefronts along SR 50 just a mile to the south and they move to an undeveloped corner without a sidewalk within sight.

It's good to see that area getting a Supercenter because the nearest ones might be on 50 and Altamonte Springs will get there's at some point.

Yes, it's good to see the bus depot, no not an actual bus station, but the bus depot, get a Supercenter. Or did you mean the Frito Lay plant? Or did you mean the homeless camp that probably moved to some of the adjacent thousands of acres of woods nearby? Or did you mean the closest residents, those on Mercy Drive, who either must drive there or walk on the side of Princeton in a drainage swale, because as I've mentioned there are no sidewalks leading from there to there. I know, I got up and argued in front of the MPB that they should at the very least require s/w's from other major roads, including 50.

Those idiots yawned through the entire hearing and approved it with no conditions.

The bribes had already been paid.

Oh they talked a good game...and paid for it. A local ambulance chaser paid to smooth talk, a Wal-Mart environmental consultant promising that they had a green building, somewhere!

Traffic consultants promising that they were just below all the thresholds, no improvements necessary!

Who needs a bribe, when you have the promise of progress?

^^

Lol! just foolin'.

so, is the Wal Mart getting built for sure, or is it just a proposal? B/C it will be on the edge of Pine Hills... I live in WP's west edge, so it will be convenient; the next closest ones are Cass & Forrest City Rd in west Alta, and I'm not sure where the next closest one is after that-- E. Col? Kirkman? not sure.

^^

Lol! just foolin'.

so, is the Wal Mart getting built for sure, or is it just a proposal? B/C it will be on the edge of Pine Hills... I live in WP's west edge, so it will be convenient; the next closest ones are Cass & Forrest City Rd in west Alta, and I'm not sure where the next closest one is after that-- E. Col? Kirkman? not sure.

It's under construction right now. Probably another month to go.

For the above building @ Millenia....rents are down 15%, vacancy is above 20%, and they are rezoning and building a new office building? Either smart or crazy...where is Darden's new HQ, anyway?

^^

I think Marriott wants to add incentives to the timeshare division of their property, in other words, they probably are looking at what Wyndham Bonnett Creek is doing with the new Wyndham hotel which is located at the timeshare resort as well, but they don't want to tread on existing hotel space... so, they are building extra rooms.

The other Marriott 300-350 room unnamed hotel that will also go there-- any ideas? Not familiar with all the Marriott brands.

^^

Darden's new HQ is at the SW corner of 528 & JYP, north of Grande Lakes Resort.

^^

new building at Millenia: the 120k sq ft being freed up by Darden at Orl. Central Park or whatever isn't the newest or highest rated space. that park is sandwiched between OBT and Oakridge and Sand Lake Rd. Not the most desireable place to open up shop.

Perhaps the Marriott Marquis which they just announced was expanding the brand, starting with the Met development in Miami. At least Miami get's an urban hotel.

they should put a Marriott Marquis by the OCCC. 350 rooms isn't big enough for a Marquis I would think... but they should build one where Hyatt was slated to go between Peabody and the N/S Bldg along Universal Blvd. That would be cool if it was tall and urban oriented and connected to Pointe Orlando via skybridge from the rear.

• 3 weeks later...

Darden Headquarters Open this Wednesday -- Orlando Sentinel Article

49493179.jpg

Impressive in size but nothing special architecturally.

465,000 SF? Given that Suntrust is about 641,000 SF, that project would have been ideal for a developer doing a build to suit for them. It would have added some oomph to the CBD as well. At least there's still Dynetech.

Edited by mrh3

^^

I know... I know... it would've been yet another downtown tower. Anyway, such is the ways of central florida.

^^

on a different note, there is a buku mother of all apartment projects going up just south of Univerity & Alafaya on the west side of Alafaya ala Millennia Lakes, SoDo, Cityview, Lake Lilly, and any other high density project with a parking deck surrounded by multi-story residential. I don't know it's name, but it's pretty big. and will be a real asset to UCF once built. Very nice.

^^

I know... I know... it would've been yet another downtown tower. Anyway, such is the ways of central florida.

^^

on a different note, there is a buku mother of all apartment projects going up just south of Univerity & Alafaya on the west side of Alafaya ala Millennia Lakes, SoDo, Cityview, Lake Lilly, and any other high density project with a parking deck surrounded by multi-story residential. I don't know it's name, but it's pretty big. and will be a real asset to UCF once built. Very nice.

This is the website for this project

http://www.dinersteincompanies.com/fw/main/Home-1330.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new Westin Orlando North in Lake Mary will has 253 rooms, a Shula's 347 Grille, and will open on Nov. 22, 2009. It's on 46A near Colonial Towne Park in Lake Mary/Sanford.

That makes two heavy hitter hotel brands in northern Seminole County. I think that's pretty healthy for CFLA, and speaks volumes for Heathrow and Seminole County as a whole business-wise. It makes Orlando more diversified ala business travelers.