Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

• 1 month later...

For well over a year I've been driving along Alafaya, seeing the Winter Park Construction sign at 3100 North Alafaya Trail. They took a long time clearing the land, then nothing seemed to be happening. Today I was pleasantly surprised when I drove by and what looks like a parking garage was rising on the site:

alafaya2.jpgalafaya1.jpg

I did a little research and found an article from Fox 19 that the project is for University House Central Florida, to be completed by August 2012. The five story buildings will contain 416-460 student units, ranging from 1 to 4 bedrooms. The property will be managed by Inland American Communities and will create 400 jobs. I was worried that they would follow the example of the many other student apartments (Pegasus, Edge, Campus Crossings, etc.) -- although nice apartments, they're usually gated off parking lots with identical square buildings on them. But judging from their fact sheet, it looks like this new "U House" takes after the Sterling apartments over by Central Florida Blvd -- which makes sense since both were designed by Humphreys & Partners.

alafayasketch.jpg

They have some project sketches up on their site (hover over the larger photo to drag it around). It looks like a huge project that will help shape that part of Alafaya. However, I'm not in love with the overall distance from the street itself, due to the parking out front. If you look at their site plan, little has been done to involve the complex into the streetscape (only two sidewalk entries). And on a site note, I'm getting tired of "luxury" student apartments -- am I weird for thinking students don't need to be paying $900/month in rent? BUT my little gripes aside, I think this project will look awesome when completed and is a step in the right direction for a more urban East Orlando.

... And on a site note, I'm getting tired of "luxury" student apartments -- am I weird for thinking students don't need to be paying $900/month in rent? BUT my little gripes aside, I think this project will look awesome when completed and is a step in the right direction for a more urban East Orlando.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up with the word "Luxury." They throw it around too much. It's like "gormet" in the grocery store. I see it on things like potato stix. I envision Thurston Howell III and Lovey having gormet potato stix and gormet peanuts while shunning whatever Gilligan is having.

For well over a year I've been driving along Alafaya, seeing the Winter Park Construction sign at 3100 North Alafaya Trail. They took a long time clearing the land, then nothing seemed to be happening. Today I was pleasantly surprised when I drove by and what looks like a parking garage was rising on the site:

alafaya2.jpgalafaya1.jpg

I did a little research and found an article from Fox 19 that the project is for University House Central Florida, to be completed by August 2012. The five story buildings will contain 416-460 student units, ranging from 1 to 4 bedrooms. The property will be managed by Inland American Communities and will create 400 jobs. I was worried that they would follow the example of the many other student apartments (Pegasus, Edge, Campus Crossings, etc.) -- although nice apartments, they're usually gated off parking lots with identical square buildings on them. But judging from their fact sheet, it looks like this new "U House" takes after the Sterling apartments over by Central Florida Blvd -- which makes sense since both were designed by Humphreys & Partners.

alafayasketch.jpg

They have some project sketches up on their site (hover over the larger photo to drag it around). It looks like a huge project that will help shape that part of Alafaya. However, I'm not in love with the overall distance from the street itself, due to the parking out front. If you look at their site plan, little has been done to involve the complex into the streetscape (only two sidewalk entries). And on a site note, I'm getting tired of "luxury" student apartments -- am I weird for thinking students don't need to be paying $900/month in rent? BUT my little gripes aside, I think this project will look awesome when completed and is a step in the right direction for a more urban East Orlando.

Looking at the site plan, it looks like they showed the point where it was furthest from the street, that one row of parking leads to the parking garage entrance, and after that, the apartments go right up on top of the street... so I think this rendering makes it look worse then it is... we'll have to see though, nothing seems to be quite to scale of whats available.

Sterling and University House both missed the mark by not including any retail. Every student I've talked to assumes that Sterling has retail and is then surprised that it doesn't. Both of these would be improved by including just a few shops.

Once the new development happens up the road on the northwest corner of University and Alafaya this area will really be on its way to being urban. At this point maybe the nature buffer between Alafaya and UCF should be reconsidered. The towers would have fit this area much better than the east side of campus.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple updates from East Orlando, since not much else has been going on:

1. University House is making good progress. Looks like they almost finished the parking garage in the past month.

unihouseApril2011.jpg

South Side - Parking garage and some of the windows out back

unihouseApril2011_2.jpg

North Side - Looks like most of the parking garage is pretty much done

2. An older apartment complex close by, across from U Pointe, is getting a heavy duty facelift.

3. Science Drive at Alafaya has been finished for a while now.

4. Lots of spray paint, flags, pumps draining the ditches, a new 45 mph speed limit, and construction workers at the Alafaya widening project this week. Looks like they're about to get serious. This is the 3.7 mile stretch between Curry Ford and Innovation Way is supposed to be part of the plan to create a direct path from UCF to the Lake Nona Medical City campus.

5. Just north of Waterford Lakes on the west side of Alafaya before Colonial is a new big box store that's looked close to finish for a while now. The rest of the area looks ready for development. Anyone know or want to guess what's coming? Addendum: Searching the internet I came across an older City Data thread that said it's going to be a Toys'R'Us/Babies'R'Us and that a Bahama Breeze is set to open there as well.

Anyway, nothing special. But it's nice to see some developments going on. I hope this leads to more public transportation. I don't remember where I read this, but it said somewhere that around 70,000 people live along the Alafaya corridor. If that's true, we definitely need more than two routes covering about 1/4 of Alafaya.

More on the Ravaudage project. Looks like the buildings can only be 8 stories and not the 12 that Sydgan had asked for.

http://www.wpmobserver.com/news/2011/apr/13/community-meeting-reveals-concerns/

"Concern also arose when building height was briefly discussed. Previously, a property was requested to be 12 stories tall. Since that wasn’t consistent with the surrounding buildings, both Winter Park and Maitland objected to that height, reducing the request to eight stories tall."

Group wants to buy Streamline Hotel for racing history

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/east-volusia/2011/04/19/group-wants-to-buy-streamline-hotel.html

We rarely talk about Daytona in here, but it's got amazing potential for redevelopment. Some of the neighborhoods like Beach Street, Seabreeze, Main St., etc. are just screaming for the same treatment downtown Orlando received back in the 80's but a clueless city government seems to be stuck with a 1970s view of the world.

The story above notes the historic Art Moderne Streamline is up for sale. Not only is it one of the few examples of such architecture left on Daytona Beach, it's also where NASCAR was born. Incredibly, the building has absolutely no landmark protection and could be leveled tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Downtown Winter Garden continues to have lots of activity, and, uniquely for central Florida, is going out of its way to build a special sense of community and pride of place for its residents. I continue to be impressed by the goings on out there.

Oldest downtown building gets much-needed makeover

http://www.wotimes.com/articles/2011/05/11/news/top_stories/news01.txt

The Flagler Avenue area of New Smyrna Beach is one of central Florida's few beach areas organized like a traditonal "town" rather than just a strip of sprawl along A1A (it was originally a separate town, Coronado, until being absorbed by NSB after WWII). After years of going back and forth in local discussions (at one point the city even lost the plans that were supposed to be forwarded to Tallahassee, which sent the conspiratorially-minded into high dudgeon), a very unique Hampton Inn is finally moving forward in the area. I also included an interesting presentation by the developer about the project.

Flagler Hotel Project Right on Target

http://www.sevobserver.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=7428:flagler-hotel-project-right-on-target&Itemid=53

Edited by spenser1058

The Flagler Avenue area of New Smyrna Beach is one of central Florida's few beach areas organized like a traditonal "town" rather than just a strip of sprawl along A1A (it was originally a separate town, Coronado, until being absorbed by NSB after WWII). After years of going back and forth in local discussions (at one point the city even lost the plans that were supposed to be forwarded to Tallahassee, which sent the conspiratorially-minded into high dudgeon), a very unique Hampton Inn is finally moving forward in the area. I also included an interesting presentation by the developer about the project.

Flagler Hotel Project Right on Target

http://www.sevobserv...arget&Itemid=53

I feel as though this should have retail on the bottom floor facing Flagler Ave. I think that having this large of a building with little interaction to the street will change the feel of the whole area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From the Downtown Confidential Newsletter:

Baker Barrios, Hardin Selected to Build First Rollins Hotel

06Sponsor_BakerBarrios043327.jpgRollins College recently announced the selection of award-winning Baker Barrios Architects, Inc. to manage the planning, architecture, interior design and landscape architecture for the school’s soon-to-be-built Alfond Inn at Rollins. In addition, Atlanta-based Hardin Construction has been named general contractor for the project.

The 100,000+ square foot facility will feature 112 guest rooms, 8,000 square feet of ballroom and meeting space, iconic conservatory, signature restaurant, elevated pool deck, bar, fitness center and a series of courtyards.

Located at the former Langford Hotel site and just one block from campus and Park Ave., the new hotel will serve as guest lodging and enable Rollins to host events and attract professional and academic conferences that cannot currently be accommodated on campus.

In late 2010, Rollins received a $12.5 million gift from the Harold Alfond Foundation to construct the facility. The gift was structured to create a permanently endowed fund from the Inn’s revenues, which will provide scholarships for students. Net operating income from the Inn will be directed to the fund over the next 25 years or until the endowment principal reaches $50 million, whichever comes later.

“We are pleased to have been chosen for this project since it is such a unique gift that will benefit the needs of the College, the community and future students,” said Tim Baker, founding principal of Baker Barrios Architects. “The Inn’s design will reflect the classical historic Renaissance period of architecture to complement the College’s campus, and will also feature Tiffany-inspired influences.”

“The proposal from Baker Barrios Architects was a frontrunner among the 20 responses we received from firms across the U.S.,” said Rollins Vice President for Business and Finance & Treasurer Jeffrey Eisenbarth. “Their innovative designs created a sense of place that exemplified their experience in the education and hospitality industries.”

Baker Barrios Architects was recently named “Architecture Firm of the Year,” the highest-honor bestowed by the Orlando Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. The firm is known for their work on high profile projects to include Amway Center and the Dr. Phillips Center for Performing Arts, as well as multi-year public/private partnerships to include Creative Village in Orlando and Encore in Tampa.

Hardin Construction, which has built on more than 25 collegiate campuses, will manage the project out of its Orlando office. "Hardin Construction is honored to be part of the team and to collaborate with Baker Barrios Architects, Inc. on the prestigious Alfond Inn at Rollins. We have a shared admiration and respect for the timeless culture of Rollins College and the history of the City of Winter Park," said Senior Vice President of Hardin Construction Charlie Dorr.

The Alfond Inn at Rollins is slated to break ground in October of this year with a projected summer 2013 opening date. The College will own the Inn and co-develop the property in coordination with The Olympia Companies. With the upcoming construction, Rollins anticipates adding 200 interim and 100 permanent full-time jobs to the local workforce.

Lots of things going on in East Orlando, with some potentially interesting projects. East Orlando update:

OUC Solar Photovoltaic Plant

The new OUC solar plant is moving along off Innovation Way. The posts were there for a while, and now most are connected by the bars that I'm guessing will hold the panels.

solar.jpg

Widening of Alafaya and New Developments

The widening is also moving along with lots of dirt and sand. They're starting at Alafaya & Avalon Park Blvd and moving north. Along with a new retention pond or two, they've cleared about four larger areas. One definitely looks like it could be an apartment complex (since it's the same size as the one next to it), one looks like a small housing development or more apartments, and two look about the size of strip malls.

I'm not thrilled about it, but hopefully the new road means new side walks and signals. (I live in this area and just to cross Alafaya to get to my gym is impossible, so I drive the 1.5 miles instead of walk or bike.)

alafaya6111.jpg

alafaya6112.jpg

Waterford Lakes Development

Although they don't seem to have touched the future Toys'R'Us, they have been building a couple streets and prepping for parking lots in that area. This is also where a Bahama Breeze is supposed to go.

University Inn Torn Down

The University Inn was recently torn down close to the intersection of Colonial & Alafaya (11731 East Colonial). Couldn't find anything on future development, but records indicate it was sold last October for $2.4 million to Ri5 Holdings LLC based in Austin, TX. This is the corner where they recently finished a strip mall, the Kobe Steakhouse, and did improvements on various buildings.

University House

The parking garage at University House looks almost finished. On one side they've completed a stairwell and are making good progress on the apartments.

ucfapts1.jpg

Sterling Apartments

The front of the Sterling Apartments at Alafaya & Central Florida have been finished for a while and now the back apartments and garages are complete as well. I thought it was interesting that they separated the parking garage and attached it with ramps.

ucfapts2.jpg

Edited by alex

I am so sick of hearing the "It will create much needed jobs" argument when trying to get sprawl approved. Can't anyone see through that argument. People need to look around and see all the stalled developments just siting there stagnant.... maybe with one or two houses slowly going up. If there is such a pent up demand, why aren't those developments booming? Or how about reviving some of the downtown projects that died off? Ughhh the insanity!!

• 2 weeks later...

Leu Gardens seems to be getting a little nicer ever year or so. Good to see Orlando knows that this is important.

Leu Gardens eyes future growth

With all this growth the gardens wants I worry about that small parking lot they have. A water taxi could easily connect to Loch Haven park, either by Mills Ave or over near the parking garage inbetween the Mennello and the houses that are near there. What better place for a a connection to two of City of Orlando's best outdoor attractions? They could eventually connect it all the way up to Mead Gardens though this would require small boats to fit through the one canal.