Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

Leu Gardens seems to be getting a little nicer ever year or so. Good to see Orlando knows that this is important.

Leu Gardens eyes future growth

With all this growth the gardens wants I worry about that small parking lot they have. A water taxi could easily connect to Loch Haven park, either by Mills Ave or over near the parking garage inbetween the Mennello and the houses that are near there. What better place for a a connection to two of City of Orlando's best outdoor attractions? They could eventually connect it all the way up to Mead Gardens though this would require small boats to fit through the one canal.

An excellent post - great job of thinking outside the box!

Thanks for the post Prah - I read about that garage but didn't see the rendering.

It's too early now with so many unknowns, but I would think at least 5 SunRail stops would merit their own threads down the road. This is going to be such a game changer for everyone.

With all the shake up with Bordersand the recent approval of the Ravaudage project just a block north it makes me think maybe that long awaited Phase 2 of Winter Park Village is going to be announced sooner than later. I recall reading somewhere the Border's intially had concern about not having its own parking lot, with them now gone I imagine the contract can easily be rewritten and I wouldn't be surprised to see a new commercial building (with a parking garage of course) pop up in the parking lot.

At least it should blend well with the Ravaudage project if the original plan for phase two is to look more modern is still intact.

With all the shake up with Bordersand the recent approval of the Ravaudage project just a block north it makes me think maybe that long awaited Phase 2 of Winter Park Village is going to be announced sooner than later. I recall reading somewhere the Border's intially had concern about not having its own parking lot, with them now gone I imagine the contract can easily be rewritten and I wouldn't be surprised to see a new commercial building (with a parking garage of course) pop up in the parking lot.

At least it should blend well with the Ravaudage project if the original plan for phase two is to look more modern is still intact.

I only saw a mention of the 2nd phase - is there more information somewhere? I think with the recent announcement of Ruth's moving their offices into WP Village is a good sign. Vacancy rates have always seemed high to me in this development, especially compared to other Lifestyle Centers - Waterford, Winter Garden Village, and Colonial Plaza for example. Maybe it is perception because the retail there aren't places I usually shop.

Interesting. A few thoughts:

- Did Full Sail already have offices in that complex? If not, Google Maps is FAST!

- Full Sail now owns two very significant parcels of land along the west side of 436 separated by almost only apartments.

I'm not sure what the woodsy area is all about behind that, but dare I say Full Sail might resemble a campus in the near future?

I feel bad for the students every time I go to that Crispers or Firehouse Subs - they play Frogger on 436 and it's even more uncomfortable navigating through the parking lot - for the cars and the pedestrians!

The new branch of the Yalaha Bakery in the Ivanhoe district is FINALLY opening:

GRAND OPENING OF OUR STORE IN ORLANDO SATURDAY AUGUST 13TH AT 9AM! ADDRESS 1213 N ORANGE AVE ORLANDO 32804

Another piece of the retail puzzle for that area; if you've never been out to Yalaha and like authentic German baked goods, you'll love this.

The sign out front and their menu don't say they are using Grouper anymore.  I had a fish sandwich and I think it may have been Tilapia.  It is definitely nicer inside and they have added a patio facing Lake Ivanhoe.

I can't wait for it to open.  I am definitely stopping by the first day.  And Brian's is opening back up on Friday, too.  I've missed my grouper sandwiches from them.

I have been to Yalaha a couple times already and they are good.  The turnover was pretty quick, but expect parking to be a bit hectic... especially now that the Sentinel wrote something about them.

Yalaha isn't fully open until tomorrow, but my girlfriend went by and they sold her some bread today.  I am going to check it out after work today.  Brians is supposed to be open today and it is now going to be open for dinner.  It used to only be breakfast and lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

According to an article in the Central Florida Future, the University Shoppes plaza on the NW corner of University and Alafaya is set to be demolished late next year.

• Construction to start February 2013
  • Students move in Fall of 2014
  • Existing 100,000 sq ft of retail to be demolished
  • To be replaced with 65,000 sq ft of retail as well as housing and parking.

I think the article is right in saying that a lot of UCF's social life will be annihilated by this demolition. But in the long run, this will be an amazing addition to the UCF area -- if it's done right. I hope they follow the pattern of the Sterling developments and build close and up. I hope the existing businesses find new storefronts close to UCF.

I wonder what's keeping developers from buying the three empty lots on the SW corner of University and Alafaya... Having a similar housing (or better yet, housing and retail) building a block away from the main streets will give the area some depth, character, and walkability. Not to mention all that wasteland UCF owns to the east of Alafaya.

universityshoppesdevelopment.jpg

Edited by alex

• 5 weeks later...

Some possible good news for Pine Hills if they can make this work:

Will pollution probe boost Pine Hills?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-pine-hills-cleanup-grant-20110925,0,5643084.story

If the Evans makeover can spur a cleanup in Pine Hills, and with some help from OCSO on the crime issues, Pine Hills offers great housing stock (almost entirely concrete block construction) for affordable housing. It's interesting to drive around the area - you can tell almost instantly who owns and who rents from the shape of the property. There are definitely pockets where the neighbors are bringing things back out there, but it's just so spread out that it will take a while. Interestingly, for those without cars, Lynx provides (relatively) decent service from Pine Hills to both downtown and the attractions areas.

Valencia Breaks Ground on New Building at Osceola Campus

http://valenciacc-ne...sceola-campus-2

"Designed in Southern California “mission style” architecture, the building will consist of two wings joined by a four-story atrium. The second floor will be home to a testing center with 100 student stations, plus administrative and faculty offices for Valencia and UCF. The second floor will also house the library, a space that college officials spent many hours considering...College officials and the design team from Hunton Brady Architects, designed the building around a green space – creating a “Jeffersonian” lawn, similar to that found at the University of Virginia."

6125215863_79cba12ec5_b.jpg

6125759230_724a0f2a4b_b.jpg

Renderings and website for the Alfond Inn At Rollins project:

http://www.rollins.edu/alfondinn/

Quick Facts

Alfond Inn will be owned by Rollins College and operated by The Olympia Companies / Corner of Interlachen and New England Avenues at site of former Longford Hotel

Guest rooms:

Meeting space:

Accommodates 350-400

ballroom guests

Architect:

Baker Barrios

Architects, Inc.

Construction manager:

Hardin Construction

Company, LLC

Key Dates

Fall 2011:

Preview Center opens

200 E. New England Ave.

Late 2011:

Groundbreaking

Spring 2013:

Alfond Inn opens

Alfond-Inn-corner-perspective-high.jpg

Alfond-Inn-full-perspective-m.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Kennedy Space Center to build new $300M HQ

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/print-edition/2011/10/07/kennedy-space-center-to-build-HQ.html

Although often forgotten, one of metro Orlando's most unique assets is KSC. To this day, there are only a handful of places to reach space. Other places have airports, ocean ports, river ports, cruise ports, etc., but not many have spaceports, and one of the best despite all the negative publicity. It's just vital to make the investment to keep it state of the art.

• 1 month later...

Washington Shores lands a Save-A-Lot

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-11-13/business/os-cfb-real-estate-grocery-1114-20111113_1_save-a-lot-square-feet-leases

At least one intown neighborhood is getting some significant retail. Washington Shores has been something of a food desert for awhile, so this is very god news for them.

Meanwhile, downtown, residents are being signed up for a new Frozen Yogurt diet, in keeping with what DDB and DOP believe are our most significant retail needs in the area. For variety, participants may substitute with Slurpees from one of the four (count 'em, 4!) 7-Elevens now available.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know whats going in on the site of the former Coggin Dealership on South OBT near the Florida Mall? Was in town back in August and saw that they had cleared everything and were ready to start construction. I believe it's a Supermarket but I can't remember the name... anyone know more?

• 2 months later...