Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

I came here to post that :) Very happy to see this. Could be a great gateway to Baldwin Park.

More info is in the Sentinel: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-fashion-square-sold-20121108,0,6914729.story

I think the mall is in City Limits - I really hope that they take the opportunity to work with this company to make the most of it.

Edited by Downtown Steve

I came here to post that :) Very happy to see this. Could be a great gateway to Baldwin Park.

More info is in the Sentinel: http://www.orlandose...0,6914729.story

I think the mall is in City Limits - I really hope that they take the opportunity to work with this company to make the most of it.

Same here. Great opportunity for mixed-use redevelopment.

I was much more optimistic about this after reading that this company has also purchased the old Toys 'r Us building/outparcel.

With the projects announced for the Orlando Executive Airport properties (the WaWa, hotel, etc.), it's look we're finally seeing some new life in this part of town.

Lots of work going on in the Baldwin park area. The post apartments are coming along very quickly (wood construction), with door and windows already installed on some units. The tallest building at four stories on the lake is already topped-off.

The Jefferson apartments near blue-jacket park are set to break ground next month, four-five stories. And a 150-200 unit asssisted living project proposed at the opposite end of the lake was recently announced.

Rumors are the village center is getting new life with the new owners, and things should pick up and fill out significantly in 2013.

Meanwhile, single-family housing construction has picked up. I can count six $500 - $1 million dollar homes under construction off the top of my head, and the last empty David weekly three-story townhouse lot just broke ground. David weekly purchased the property on lake Baldwin (former Lincoln property office building lot) and will build 9 more three story town home buildings next year.

In addition to the fashion square redevelopment, there is a lot going on in 2013 and beyond for this part of town.

Also, the Jefferson Baldwin park project might be joined by a sister project downtown.

Florida Hospital seeks Winter Garden approval for medical campus

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/os-florida-hospital-winter-garden-20121129,0,4549716.story

'Homeowners in gated communities nearby have their doubts. Some envision ambulance sirens, beating blades of helicopters, snarled traffic and a seven-story hospital tower casting a shadow over their neighborhoods.

' "I want to support this project. ... I think it's good for the city," said Thomas Reedy, a resident of nearby Country Estates Drive. "But I really struggle with this. I can't support it because of that seven-story building sitting in there." '

OK, although I disagree with it, I think there's at least a NIMBY case to be made for opposing the project due to traffic and noise, but because of a 7-story building? These people live next door to a shopping center with more than a little asphalt and big boxes but a 7-story hospital would be taboo? Color me fascinated.

Edited by spenser1058

Board approves Altamonte Springs master plan Tuesday, Dec 4, 2012

Jay Davis

http://www.seminolestate.edu/newsroom/articles/735/Board-approves-Altamonte-Springs-master-plan

Alt-masterplan.jpg

Seminole State College of Florida’s District Board of Trustees unanimously approved a master plan for the Altamonte Springs Campus that will transform acres of car dealerships into a bustling business and academic hub with buildings as high as 15 stories.

Rollins explores minor-league partnership for new baseball stadium

Well, this is about as perfect as minor-league baseball could be PLUS you get a college team. It's right in the middle of town (WP), SunRail access, walk from campus or home. Sure hope this dog hunts - it's so much better than that I-Drive idea it's, um, not even in the same ballpark.

Board approves Altamonte Springs master plan Tuesday, Dec 4, 2012

Jay Davis

http://www.seminolestate.edu/newsroom/articles/735/Board-approves-Altamonte-Springs-master-plan

Alt-masterplan.jpg

Seminole State College of Florida’s District Board of Trustees unanimously approved a master plan for the Altamonte Springs Campus that will transform acres of car dealerships into a bustling business and academic hub with buildings as high as 15 stories.

Welcome to the board! - I am sorry to say I have no clue where the SCC  (SSC - gonna take me a while with that) Altamonte campus is. You mentioned car lots so I'm thinking Forest City Rd where Classic Chevy was?

I have no clue where the SCC  (SSC - gonna take me a while with that) Altamonte campus is. You mentioned car lots so I'm thinking Forest City Rd where Classic Chevy was?

It's on 434 right next to the Audi dealership.  It's very very close to Maitland Center, between 436 and Maitland Blvd/414.

campus-locations-map-alt.jpg

And thanks.  

Edited by CalvinEggnog

I'm glad you posted this, praha. Although I loathe incentives to companies with no ties to the area (just look at how much decrease there has been in community participation from Martin since it was bought out by Lockheed), I am glad to see Osceola finally getting serious about diversifying its mostly low-end tourism economy.

So apparently Whole Foods was interested in the parcel on the front of UCF's campus, but the deal has fallen through as UCF couldn't get a high enough profit margin for itself for on campus retail space. http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2012/12/ucf-whole-foods-oh-the-humanity-oh.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_orlando+%28Orlando+Business+Journal%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

I hope Whole Foods still takes a close look to the area, perhaps right across the street, where rent should be much less. I think the old CB&S location might be big enough and would do quite well there, or as an anchor for the Northview project? Disappointed it fell through

• 3 weeks later...

New Smyrna's first new hotel in 20 years opens on Flagler Ave.

Most of our beach towns here in central Florida are sad examples of constantly widening A1A, making it a menace to pedestrians, and listening to the developers' constant wail that they must be permitted to build ugly concrete highrises or the result will be doom and depression.

Thankfully, the New Smyrna Beach city council shouted a loud "NO!" and implored the developer to come up with a project that fit into the vernacular of NSB's Flagler Avenue area (once the independent community of Coronado that was absorbed shortly after WWII.) The resulting Hampton Inn, the first new hotel in NSB in over 20 years, opened yesterday and just about everyone agrees it will add rather than detract from the community and likely enjoy full occupancy much of the year. It's something to remember whenever we are told we cannot have a stake in our communities and must let developers build for maximum profit with the least concern for our surroundings.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20121220/NEWS/312209991?Title=New-Smyrna-s-first-new-hotel-in-20-years-opens-on-Flagler-Ave-

Edited by spenser1058

Spencer thank you for posting this.  When I see cities doing this type of development I am really encouraged.  It seems so obvious that Florida's vernacular architecture is a much more attractive alternative than the generic stuff that most cities are left with.  Florida has such a beautiful and varied architectural legacy, and it can be easy to forget that (especially along the Central Florida Atlantic coast) until someone, or a group of people, take strides to remind us.

And speaking of contextual hotels, the Alfond Inn over in Winter Park seems to be creating some NIMBY controversy:

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/controversy-brewing-over-winter-park-hotel/nTCxc/

Like it or not, this development is proof that you don't need major height to create a blockbuster - proper setbacks are all that really matter.

And speaking of contextual hotels, the Alfond Inn over in Winter Park seems to be creating some NIMBY controversy:

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/controversy-brewing-over-winter-park-hotel/nTCxc/

Like it or not, this development is proof that you don't need major height to create a blockbuster - proper setbacks are all that really matter.

If I remember correctly, isn't this essentially a replacement for the old Langford Hotel? If so, although they had a respite between the time the Langford closed and the Alfond opens, this is essentially restoring the status quo ante. Of course, Winter Parkers complain about EVERYTHING so I'm not really surprised. Also, WP is such a compact, vibrant community complete with a successful small college, so it would be virtually impossible NOT to have traffic problems (and it has been that way for as long as I can remember, going back to when I took drama classes in junior high at the old Fred Stone Theatre on campus in the early 70's.)

Edited by spenser1058

Daytona Beach poised for burst of growth

While New Smyrna continues to do the right thing, Daytona beach is once again stymied by the control of the tourism industry (and is a cautionary tale of just how fortunate we are to have such a separation between our tourist-based economy and everything else here in Orlando/Orange County.) Even as major projects are announced to get Daytona moving again (it was especially hard hit by the Great Recession,) they absolutely refuse to give up the special events that keep Daytona from diversifying its economy and keep the beachside in a perpetual state of dowdiness when it could be one of the great historical redevelopments in the region. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20121225/NEWS/312259978/1040?p=all&tc=pgall&tc=ar

I've often wondered why CFla Atlantic beach communities have stymied while their South Florida and Gulf counterparts have not.  Vision, population growth, economies, etc?  The making for a major economic and cultural center are all there -- colleges, beaches, Port Canaveral (which just edged out Port Everglades in cruise ship passengers), an international airport, NASA, aeronautical industries, tourism, Orlando nearby, etc.

Why hasn't a Ft. Lauderdale, Sarasota, or St Pete risen there?

Daytona Beach would seem like the logical location.

I've often wondered why CFla Atlantic beach communities have stymied while their South Florida and Gulf counterparts have not.  Vision, population growth, economies, etc?  The making for a major economic and cultural center are all there -- colleges, beaches, Port Canaveral (which just edged out Port Everglades in cruise ship passengers), an international airport, NASA, aeronautical industries, tourism, Orlando nearby, etc.

Why hasn't a Ft. Lauderdale, Sarasota, or St Pete risen there?

Daytona Beach would seem like the logical location.

Excellent questions, and Daytona could have been either Fort Lauderdale or Sarasota. To this day, The Casements in nearby Ormond is the onetime winter home of John D. Rockefeller. That's the kind of folks who got the Daytona area going. Hard to imagine now, but there was lots and lots of money. In fact, racing cars on the beach got started  not by good ol' boys avoiding "revenooers" (hence NASCAR's apocryphal roots in the Carolinas: there's some truth to the myth - I have relatives in the Carolinas who embrace the legends as did driver Cale Yarborough, who my family knew, but there were of course other factors as well) but by rich guys racing their fine motorcars. 

With the construction of the Speedway in 1959 and the control of the local economy by the France family, all that went out the window. There went Daytona's shot at being Sarasota and catering to the wealthy.

But, given the delightfully pedestrian-scaled beachside neighborhoods and structures that the monied classes attracted (the WPA-constructed bandshell and the coquina rock main post office are still wonders to behold) just screamed for the type of redo that South Beach got. The problem was, unlike Fort lauderdale which finally said, "enough is enough!" and sent the spring breakers packing so the city could finally grow up, Daytona's hardcore tourist-controlled leaders refused to raise a finger to finally stop the special events. As a result, no one really wants to make the investments required to save the beachside.

Alas, it gets worse, Daytona needs a strong-mayor form of government like Orlando to attract the type of administrative talent to make the necessary changes. Thus far, it refuses to do so - in a council-manager form of government, no one is really in charge and it shows. Of course, the France family and the hotel owners like it that way. Like retailers, they also tend to be laggards in understanding trends. As a result, when Daytona finally decided to fix its Broadwalk area, they went with 1970's-era solutions that were 30 years out of date by the time they got built (i.e., widening A1A yet again and building huge concrete towers that have virtually no access to anyone without automobiles.) Finally, there's still a race problem. Daytona is the predominant African-American town in a county still shaking off good ol' boy control and that still resonates in a negative way regarding the region's politics.