Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

Traders Joes would be a nice addition, but I don't think there's nearly enough parking to make it happen here.

http://www.thedailycity.com/2012/12/trader-joes-and-new-resturants-possibly.html

I don't buy that spot at all. Seems like another useless TJ rumor that is either clickbait or the broker trying to hype a project. The traffic at this spot would be awful and the parking would be impossible. Would be smart of them to take the old Winn Dixie further up 17-92 in Maitland and turn that into a TJ. Traffic is much more manageable there and it might lead to a return of a version of the initial planned development there with a parking garage and everything.

• Like 1

I don't buy that spot at all. Seems like another useless TJ rumor that is either clickbait or the broker trying to hype a project. The traffic at this spot would be awful and the parking would be impossible. Would be smart of them to take the old Winn Dixie further up 17-92 in Maitland and turn that into a TJ. Traffic is much more manageable there and it might lead to a return of a version of the initial planned development there with a parking garage and everything.

An excellent thought. I like this idea a lot - it would be a major plus for downtown Maitland.

Very true, but keep in mind TJ's have a small footprint and... since when has "smart planning" been an aspect of local development?

Sad but true - and especially with the Grumpy Old Men of Maitland made famous by Mike Thomas. However, their era does seem at long last to be passing - Maitland has moved on to sex scandals now and has actually done a decent job of converting a "wide spot in the road" on 17-92 to an interesting area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Casselberry hopes to create 'city center' on 17-92 near Lake Concord

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/seminole/os-casselberry-development-lake-concord-20130211,0,292987.story

Poor Casselberry is trying so hard to do the right thing and so it's hard to just write this off as "lipstick on a pig." Sadly, these ersatz attempts at community building generally break all the rules and fail miserably. It certainly helps if you can add a street grid and make it pedestrian-friendly, but Jane Jacobs probably got it right when she said you needed "eyes on the street," not to mention at least 30 years or so to build a tradition of pedestrians actually belonging. That's why College Park works and, regardless of what the Sentinel says, Uptown Altamonte is still a wannabe.

Meanwhile, over in Celebration...

The architecturally rich Osceola West Branch Library has opened at 305 Campus Street.

If we are to debate the merits of new urbanism, I would say that Celebration is a winner. Celebration will be celebrating it's 20 year anniversary in 2014 (I know, right?) and it has a thriving downtown restaurant / retail scene frequented by tourists and locals, a stable housing market, schools, colleges, a Publix (at last), a business park, an expanding hospital, a boutique hotel -- Bohemian Celebration (yes, like the one downtown), and now, a library. And oh, all those trees have finally matured -- what a tree canopy can do!

More on the library at their Facebook page (including images): https://www.facebook.com/CelebrationTownHall

Verizon to open finance center in Lake Mary, create up to 750 jobs

Verizon-building-Lake-Mary*304.jpg?v=1

Not the most exciting building, but quite a plum in the economic development department for the area!

Edited by spenser1058

Is this still the project being built up on Woodbury and E Colonial?

http://cilistings.listinglab.com//CollegeSuitesatWoodburyDevelopmentOpportunity/index.cfm?#

All the tree's are gone and the land is cleared getting prepped for construction. Also does anyone know whats being built up on Woddbury and Waterford across from Firkin Kegler? The land next too Beef o Brady's is cleared and the horse farms seem to be bought up and being leveled.

Another note, they added palm tree clusters in the median down E Colonial towards UCF. Deffinetly looks a little better, could add more IMO and go all the way down 50. They stop at about the 417.

Is this still the project being built up on Woodbury and E Colonial?

http://cilistings.listinglab.com//CollegeSuitesatWoodburyDevelopmentOpportunity/index.cfm?#

All the tree's are gone and the land is cleared getting prepped for construction. Also does anyone know whats being built up on Woddbury and Waterford across from Firkin Kegler? The land next too Beef o Brady's is cleared and the horse farms seem to be bought up and being leveled.

Another note, they added palm tree clusters in the median down E Colonial towards UCF. Deffinetly looks a little better, could add more IMO and go all the way down 50. They stop at about the 417.

I haven't driven by recently, but I think they stopped there because thats where the 6 lane expansion is fully completed? I'd imagine when they 6 lane the rest of it, it will hopefully get the same treatment.

Has there been any sale of the land for College Suites? They were just trying to prep it for sale by getting approval for a use, they never intended to actually use it I believe.

I haven't driven by recently, but I think they stopped there because thats where the 6 lane expansion is fully completed? I'd imagine when they 6 lane the rest of it, it will hopefully get the same treatment.

Has there been any sale of the land for College Suites? They were just trying to prep it for sale by getting approval for a use, they never intended to actually use it I believe.

I have no clue about any sales. Just drove by there and saw all the land was being cleared out, I thought I saw a Publix sign but didnt get a clear look at any other signs.

Drove past the site tonight. Rally construction, says its a future site of a Publix. Guessing it'll be another Waterford style shopping center...

Not that I expected otherwise, but disappointing.

The UCF Baseball stadium is going to have phase 2 of its expansion starting immediately after baseball season ends. They opted for a larger, 61 ft press box/luxury seating building over the previous plan.

1365020.jpg

1365022.jpg

That will be a nice addition. With the size of UCF's enrollment its suprising their sports arent more popular, being in CUSA also has a part to do with it. But on that thought UCF used to be a MUCH smaller school and enrollment has only peaked in the past few years, so im assuming that popularity and notoriety will only grow when the 60k + students there pumping out graduate and grow older. It looks nice driving down Alafaya now with all the midrise student housing filled and lit up, more to come too. 

This dude has been saying "It'll take just another year or two" for the past ten years. He says it's a testament to his fiscal prudence. I say it's a testament to the fact that there's a shrinking number of rubes willing to fork over their hard-earned cash to greedy televangelists who want to memorialize their perceived awesomeness in an 18-story tower.

• Like 2