Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

CNL contracts to buy Mt. Vernon Inn

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-07-07/business/os-cfb-real-estate-0708-20130707_1_landlord-lease-new-office

This has been rumored for a while (almost since the end of the long-running act at the Red Fox Lounge!) but we finally have some confirmation. There have been numerous additions to the property over the years (it opened in 1949, making it a landmark by Orlando standards - another one bites the dust) so whatever goes here will have a good bit of space to work with.

Mark & Lorna were the heart of the Red Fox Lounge, which was what made this little motel special. To be honest, I'd rather see the place torn down than be reminded of what it used to be. Because their act was downright magical - an honest-to-gosh lounge act performed with such sincerity, honesty and enthusiasm that you just had to fall in love with them. 

http://youtu.be/Xye0caa1Rb8

Edited by FLClarkKent
  • Like 1

No - across from Silver Spurs Arena.

Isn't that where that international trade village is going?  I recall it was supposed to have a hotel, housing, and an expo area.  For some reason I can't recall where it was to go but I want to say there. 

Also note the college on the other side of the arena, Florida Christian College, was recently acquired by another Christian college.  I went there for a few years and they had a major growth plan in place but went into major debt due to the stock market.  Some of those growth plans are now being put back into place, including new dorms and I expect an impressive landscaping upgrade. 

Hard Rock Hotel to be built in Daytona Beach

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/hard-rock-hotel-daytona-beach/nYnMr/

HardRockRenderings6.JPG

Please move this to downtown Orlando...

Saw that on the news last night.

Would look great on the Central Station block, but nothing that cool looking will ever get built downtown.

If it's not stubby, bland or gimmicky-looking, it will never get built downtown.

Saw that on the news last night.

Would look great on the Central Station block, but nothing that cool looking will ever get built downtown.

If it's not stubby, bland or gimmicky-looking, it will never get built downtown.

Harsh... but true. I do get a little envious when projects like this pass us by. But just imagine downtown if Buddy were never elected. We've come a long way.

On the side note, there is a huge office building about 5 to 8 floors being built at Lake Mary by I-4.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the side note, there is a huge office building about 5 to 8 floors being built at Lake Mary by I-4.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the new Rick Scott Verizon call center.

• 2 weeks later...
International Speedway, Jacoby Development rev up mixed-use entertainment development in Daytona

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/08/one-daytona-project-to-accelerate.html?s=image_gallery

prn5-international-speedway-one-daytona--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it is good news for Daytona Beach, but looking at the rendering, does America doesn't know how to put parkings besides putting giant ashphalt surface lot?

What about being green and earth friendly?

• 2 weeks later...

International Speedway, Jacoby Development rev up mixed-use entertainment development in Daytona

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/08/one-daytona-project-to-accelerate.html?s=image_gallery

prn5-international-speedway-one-daytona--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it is good news for Daytona Beach, but looking at the rendering, does America doesn't know how to put parkings besides putting giant ashphalt surface lot?

What about being green and earth friendly?

Not unless density forces the developer to build a garage, or super density forces them to build an underground garage. (plus this is the South and not to stereotype but I seriously doubt zoning or regulations would be in place here to encourage parking that was anything but the lease expensive and usually environmentally wasteful - not that Red states would be alone in that)

And since I'm new-ish to Florida are underground parking garages even possible here?  Or just prohibitively expensive?  Even in Denver where I just left we had mostly podium parking but there were some projects that dug under for the garage making parking relatively invisible.  I've been watching the construction of the new Orlando Health building and it looked like they did go one level under but obviously not for parking as that is spread out in other places on the campus.  I work in the lab and this is the only hospital I've ever worked where the lab hasn't been in a basement - because there really isn't one.   

Sanctuary has a underground parking garage.

In Winter Park, there are a number of condos that have underground parking too: Park Aire on the Avenue, Whispering Waters, Villa Siena and The Residences on Interlachen, and the new Gothic-inspired building on Canton.  Also, many older buildings here have basements, including several in Lake Eola Heights and Winter Park.

Underground parking is the way to go, but from my knowledge I hear that it is a water table issue. Also Florida has a network of underground rivers (aquifers) running under the surface of the ground, where most of our drinking water comes from and where wells tap into in rural areas. This makes it very difficult and expensive to go underground in most places in Florida. Orlando does have basements, a couple bars in downtown are down under in some of the historic buildings but none that go deeper than one level that I know of. Of course there are areas that are solid and you can go underground, I don't know what downtown Orlando's underground situation is, might be something interesting to research...

The water table downtown is from 4'-7'. It is way to costly to go underground and unnecessary. But our buildings would be a lot more interesting if we could. Also, underground parking would require a ventilation system that would add costs to the project. 

The only building I can think of that has underground parking is the Paramount, but that is only one level down. The bar on the corner of Orange and pine is one level down as well. Sanctuary is at grade. 

Edited by jack

A friend of mine & his brother used to rent a house in Holly Hill, just north of Daytona, that was about two blocks west of the Halifax River & had an "up north style" basement. I hadn't been in a residential basement for 20 or 30 years since I moved down from NY & here I was in one two blocks from the Florida intracoastal waterway.

Of course, the land rises up from the river pretty high there.