Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

This project is backed by major, major money. That is pathetic for them to do that with the financial backing they have.

I also think no one wants to pay someone to pump their gas anymore.

Is the store/business owned by the same people who own the building and property and supposedly have the deep pockets, or is the store/business owned by a tenant who is leasing the space?

Big difference.

18 minutes ago, orange87 said:

How's the construction progress on the Majesty Building going? Apparently they resumed construction several weeks ago.

I haven't been up that way in years. Last report I heard (which I posted earlier) was that they were targeting just after the beginning of 2018 for the exterior. By around mid 2018 for the interior. 

I like the site concept and layout tying it together with internal corridor and plaza that lead to the lake, and the orientation of the buildings overlooking the park.  Not too keen on the Jetsons look of the buildings, however. Perhaps it is more the odd massing and the colors. The big windows could really look good on the human scale when you are on the ground.  It is difficult to make a full judgment just from these limited renderings. They had more photos in a Sentinel Article that was paywalled. Maybe somebody can turn off java to get them. 

Also, guess I should have put this in Winter Park/Maitland thread. I forgot we had one. 

Edited by dcluley98

• 2 weeks later...

$1 million redo of landmark Daytona broadwalk's bandshell coming:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/11/16/daytona-beachs-historic-bandshell-will-get-a-1-million-facelift

From Orlando Weekly

Great to see this happening to one of the region's most beloved structures (sadly, we can't say the same for the rest of the broadwalk but one makes do)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

$1 million redo of landmark Daytona broadwalk's bandshell coming:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/11/16/daytona-beachs-historic-bandshell-will-get-a-1-million-facelift

From Orlando Weekly

Great to see this happening to one of the region's most beloved structures (sadly, we can't say the same for the rest of the broadwalk but on makes do)

It's such a shame that since the mid 80's, they've torn down so many of the other Coquina structures that used to be in the vicinity of the bandshell. They really destroyed the cool atmosphere that used to exist there. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, JFW657 said:

It's such a shame that since the mid 80's, they've torn down so many of the other Coquina structures that used to be in the vicinity of the bandshell. They really destroyed the cool atmosphere that used to exist there. 

Yes.  The worst thing I recall was when they widened US 92 near DBCC & White St. and demolished the larger of the two coquina rock "towers" and left the smaller one which is still there today.  Was that necessary?  No.

Volusia has the second most number of buildings registered on the historic register in Florida as of 5 years ago behind Miami-Dade.  Impressive (most impressive).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Yes.  The worst thing I recall was when they widened US 92 near DBCC & White St. and demolished the larger of the two coquina rock "towers" and left the smaller one which is still there today.  Was that necessary?  No.

Volusia has the second most number of buildings registered on the historic register in Florida as of 5 years ago behind Miami-Dade.  Impressive (most impressive).

For some odd reason, I enjoy searching YouTube for old home movies of Daytona Beach in the 70's and 80's or even older. Anyway, if you want to get a good look at the Coquina that was in the vicinity of the boardwalk in the mid 80's prior to the monstrosities that took its place, the following video from :58 to 2:02 is about the best visual record I've seen.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2017 at 8:31 PM, JFW657 said:

For some odd reason, I enjoy searching YouTube for old home movies of Daytona Beach in the 70's and 80's or even older. Anyway, if you want to get a good look at the Coquina that was in the vicinity of the boardwalk in the mid 80's prior to the monstrosities that took its place, the following video from :58 to 2:02 is about the best visual record I've seen.

wow!  my old stomping grounds!  Ocean Avenue- I forgot; it used to keep going north up to the bandshell and past until they built the Marriott and cut it off right past the Boardwalk amusement areas.  I forgot about those coquina structures.  Very depressing about that.

And Ocean Avenue.. they have since cut it off yet again at Main Street after they built that county park there. 

Hey ! Prime real estate!  Let's build a large hotel right on top of it!  But, to really make an impact, let's destroy a good chunk of the prime real estate in doing so!

They could've done it differently. 

Great find!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to live right on that part of Bumby.

I could see further south below Central near South St, but right off of Colonial with that busy shopping center right across the street seems like it would be kind of unnerving.

To each their own, I guess.

I would live there too if it was cheap enough!!!! Tons of stuff around there. Walking distance to a bunch of restaurants on Colonial, Milk District, Pom Pom's!, Maxine's, Drunken Monkey, Beefy King, Ale House, Seven Bites, Barnes & Noble, Walgreens, Ace Hardware, Target, Starbucks, Total Wine, a selection of Gyms, Bowling Alley, Festival Park, Plaza Live, Mall, Movie Theater. . . Mills 50 Vietnamese/Asian and Publix .7 miles away. 

New bike trails closeby on Bumby, close to Cady Way, Crystal Lake/Underhill Trails, and Lake Druid MTB park .7 Miles away, Dickinson Azalea and Langford Park .8 Miles away, Lake Eola Park/Thornton Park 1.4 miles away.  2.5 miles to downtown/DPAC/Amway Center.

The area is very populated with a ton of amenities. The only problem is the giant roads that make it less than walkable and would add street noise, but I know how to cross a 6 lane street just fine and the noise can't be worse than living in some of the downtown condos! 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3

No denying that having all that cool stuff close by would be nice, but I think that after being woken up at 4:00am a few times by some idiot on a crotch rocket motorcycle screaming past, or some hopped up race car with exhaust pipes that make it even louder, drag racing on Bumby or Colonial, I think I'd soon find it less than worth it.

16 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

No denying that having all that cool stuff close by would be nice, but I think that after being woken up at 4:00am a few times by some idiot on a crotch rocket motorcycle screaming past, or some hopped up race car with exhaust pipes that make it even louder, drag racing on Bumby or Colonial, I think I'd soon find it less than worth it.

All of the area around it except Bumby is a great neighborhood and as dcluley notes, you'd be hard pressed for more amenities (if only Beefy King were open at night!). If you put Bumby on a road diet (most of it other than that section is already just two lanes) and traded in some of Colonial Plaza's asphalt for trees (with a grid through the parking lot for prahaboheme!), the Milk District could become something really special. Heck, how 'bout a 7-Eleven next to Goodyear?

Edited by spenser1058

Well I live in SteelHouse currently. . . On Colonial and Orange next to a train track, lol. I'm OK with the noise. . . This location would be much better for all the amenities. And the view wouldn't be bad at all if you were on the west side overlooking a decent old neighborhood with some nice oak trees. I definitely would live there. 

Plus, you get the Hardware store and Pharmacy everybody is always clamoring about and you don't have to deal with a parking garage like a downtown hi-rise. I personally think this location would be way better than living downtown.  Colonial sucks, but I view the project being on Bumby as a plus, as it isn't that bad and is an easy route to get to the 408 to go downtown, to get to I-4 or the turnpike, to the beach, etc. You guys are way overlooking the potential for "aesthetic" factors IMO.  

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1