Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

17 hours ago, shardoon said:

Huge grassroots opposition building against Tavistock's planned minicity on the corner of Conroy/Apopka Vineland Road.  I have seen the plans for this thing and I have no idea how they would allow something that dense with the current traffic situation over there. 

Share the plans, perhaps?

I kind of think that they never anticipated or wanted to build this nasty thing, but they wanted to start out with the most outlandish militaristic dense design to eventually meet somewhere in the middle. As it stands, the two homes per acre does not make it worth that much to Tavistock, they need to change the zoning.  

19 hours ago, shardoon said:

They made a facebook page. It is called "STOP 4th-CORNER MEGA DEVELOPMENT"

so i looked over at their page and a meeting was held over @ Chain of Lakes Middle school cafeteria  yesterday night (Feb 27) and it was pretty full

not sure what the result of the meeting was but a member of the group posted this:

They said they would build a library. We already have 2 within 5 miles. They want to build a market. We have lots of markets nearby; 2 just adjacent to this project! They want to add retail...have it, don’t need more. Dr. Offices; we have plenty near by. We don’t want or need condos on the lake. We moved here for the country feel. Their only good ideas were a park and limited single homes.

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

They really could utilize the lackfront here by building a boardwalk style development that includes lakefront restaurant & retail space, something that doesn't really exist right now on the butler lakes.

Maybe that is the end game? I dont even think this piece of land is currently zoned for that either. Hopefully this was a rediculous dense proposal gear only to start at one extreme and meet in the middle.

Edgewood:

Per GrowthSpotter, Intram has purchased both the retail plaza on the east side of Orange at Holden and the one directly north of it.  Opportunities abound for the developer that is part of the Southside project at Pineloch.

The right project could warrant a future Edgewood SunRail stop, in my opinion.  

014F1EA8-80BD-4E3C-B2B4-FA66C36CEAC4.jpeg

• Like 1

Mayor Buddy announces $8.5 million donation to the Mennello Museum and plans to expand the facility.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/the-artistic-type/os-et-mennello-loch-haven-growth-20180303-story.html

This will help to enhance Loch Haven's prominence as the region's "Arts Park." 

From the Sentinel

Now if the Orlando Ballet will just get moving on the upgrade to OYC (I would also like to see the Morse use some of Loch Haven's broad outdoor space for displays from its neon collection), we could end up with a beautiful cultural hub just as Ivanhoe Village and the Florida Hospital area are transforming the North Orange/Virginia corridor.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

Meanwhile, as promised, The Atlantic has an in-depth feature about the travails of New Mexico's planned "Spaceport America", which seems to revolve around lots of planning and very few launches.

Compare that with our own Spaceport Florida/KSC/CCAFS, which has a 50+ year history of successful launch activity and launches going on a pretty regular basis.

The article mentions other launch sites in VA and CA, but there's no doubt we're holding our own as the private space business moves forward with names like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/03/new-mexicos-sad-bet-on-space-exploration/554243/p

Edited by spenser1058