Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

I don't know what this is going to be....

cfr_conway_new.jpg

...but it's pretty big and certainly comes about as far out to the road as it can without making traffic drive around it.

It's going where this little strip center used to be....

cfr_conway_old.png

....right near the intersection of Curry Ford and Conway, in between the corner convenience store and Edmundshire Rd.

Looks like maybe another drug store? There's already a CVS and a Walgreen's about a mile west of there. 

I suspect Dollar Tree.  They've had recently been taking over abandoned Walgreen's and they just closed their location in the Publix Plaza at Curry Ford/Conway which I assume was them letting the lease expire.  I have a hard time believing they'd concede that market to Dollar General and Family Dollar which are in the vicinity.

image.thumb.png.bfa0ab167ee78d6f4a5879ef1f1a54ee.png

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That new Walgreen with steel skin is new design to me. I have never seen them doing that.

I hope they demolish the other walgreens and build something urban for the hourglass district.

That smoke shop at the corner got to go. I do not know how the city can approve that when they are trying to make it a grand entrance to Conway area.

On the side note, I just realized there is a take away Outback right next to the ghetto Publix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

That new Walgreen with steel skin is new design to me. I have never seen them doing that.

I hope they demolish the other walgreens and build something urban for the hourglass district.

That smoke shop at the corner got to go. I do not know how the city can approve that when they are trying to make it a grand entrance to Conway area.

On the side note, I just realized there is a take away Outback right next to the ghetto Publix.

I think they let that smoke shop there because it was always in that corner.  It shared the plaza with the funeral home and Irish Pub before Walgreen's leveled it.  For some reason they had enough sway to move into the gas station.  I would have much preferred the old Shell station stay.  According to this article, it looks like they already told the food truck to take a hike.  I believe they're officially saying the Hourglass district starts west of Conway Gardens Road.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-conway-smoke-shop-plaza-20180308-story.html

3 hours ago, sunshine said:

I have never seen a Walgreen's constructed in that manner either. It looks like a future warehouse-showroom discount furniture store or something.

I hope the old Walgreens becomes a Dollar Tree, as codypet suggested it might.

18 minutes ago, sunshine said:

I hope it becomes an Aldi

Speaking of Aldi, that spot would make an ideal Trader Joes.  Adequate parking and the floorplan is similar to what TD uses.  Alas, I fear that's just me dreaming.  If Winn Dixie folds, I could see an Aldi occupy half that space and some sort of gym use the other half.  It would be a good add for the neighborhood.  A family member of mine helped open the newest Toole's ACE hardware that opened up in a vacated Walgreen's out by UCF.  I'm hoping whatever moves in there be it Dollar Tree or whatever, just ensures the grounds are well maintained.

Well, the other day when I was in the Winn Dixie, there were a group of well dressed gentlement that are probably higher up of the store, I overheard them talking about cutting tree at the parking lot.  I didnt say anything but in my mind, I wanted to tell him please dont cut any tree.

LOL....anti climatic story...

2 hours ago, sunshine said:

I hope it becomes an Aldi

I would love that, but I don't think the location quite meets their requirements. Not a dense enough retail area, not adjacent to a big enough intersection, not part of a large enough shopping center. Plus, I've never seen a free standing Aldi's, though that doesn't mean there aren't any.

That does reminds me though, I've been meaning to re-contact the rep at the commercial real estate agency that handles Market at Southside. A few weeks ago, I sent her an email asking her if they had ever considered trying to get an Aldi's in the vacant Bealls Outlet space. Sent a link to their property acquisition requirements page. She replied saying she'd look into it. Would be nice to hear they are at least talking... 

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

Well, the other day when I was in the Winn Dixie, there were a group of well dressed gentlement that are probably higher up of the store, I overheard them talking about cutting tree at the parking lot.  I didnt say anything but in my mind, I wanted to tell him please dont cut any tree.

LOL....anti climatic story...

Oh crap, I hope they don't cut down the one I'm thinking of. The one I always try to park under, right in front of Gabriel's Subs.

I'd hate to see them cut down the tree on the other end too, but losing the one in front of Gabriel's would be the worst.

I wish I'd been there. I would've butted in and stuck my big nose right in the middle of their conversation and told them they were out of their minds even considering it.

17 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Oh crap, I hope they don't cut down the one I'm thinking of. The one I always try to park under, right in front of Gabriel's Subs.

I'd hate to see them cut down the tree on the other end too, but losing the one in front of Gabriel's would be the worst.

I wish I'd been there. I would've butted in and stuck my big nose right in the middle of their conversation and told them they were out of their minds even considering it.

image.thumb.png.bfda06567cd5d54f503588e38dac88d5.png

We got quite a few in the area.  A couple by the Florida Mall

27 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I would love that, but I don't think the location quite meets their requirements. Not a dense enough retail area, not adjacent to a big enough intersection, not part of a large enough shopping center. Plus, I've never seen a free standing Aldi's, though that doesn't mean there aren't any.

That does reminds me though, I've been meaning to re-contact the rep at the commercial real estate agency that handles Market at Southside. A few weeks ago, I sent her an email asking her if they had ever considered trying to get an Aldi's in the vacant Bealls Outlet space. Sent a link to their property acquisition requirements page. She replied saying she'd look into it. Would be nice to hear they are at least talking... 

Its a gorgeous  tree.  I'd like it to stay.  I believe the roots are impacting the parking lot though.

image.thumb.png.ea8ab9ba7ff6e112629db9b090171d4b.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, codypet said:

I suspect Dollar Tree.  They've had recently been taking over abandoned Walgreen's and they just closed their location in the Publix Plaza at Curry Ford/Conway which I assume was them letting the lease expire.  I have a hard time believing they'd concede that market to Dollar General and Family Dollar which are in the vicinity.

image.thumb.png.bfa0ab167ee78d6f4a5879ef1f1a54ee.png

Dollar Tree did the same thing in Daytona at US 1 & Beville Rd.

2 hours ago, codypet said:

image.thumb.png.bfda06567cd5d54f503588e38dac88d5.png

We got quite a few in the area.  A couple by the Florida Mall

Its a gorgeous  tree.  I'd like it to stay.  I believe the roots are impacting the parking lot though.

image.thumb.png.ea8ab9ba7ff6e112629db9b090171d4b.png

The Aldi's in your pic looks like it's sharing the building with something else, but I'm sure there are free standing ones here and there.

Re: the WD tree, if it's impacting the parking lot, I would suggest to them altering the parking lot to accommodate the tree, rather than destroying the tree to accommodate the parking lot. 

Around the corner from the Walmart Neighborhood Market at Southside, in front of Office Depot and the Domino's and Subway along that side, they tore out the old broken concrete curbs that enclose and protect the roots of those old oaks and rebuilt new ones so they could keep the trees.

I was happy to see that!!! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, codypet said:

I think they let that smoke shop there because it was always in that corner.  It shared the plaza with the funeral home and Irish Pub before Walgreen's leveled it.  For some reason they had enough sway to move into the gas station.  I would have much preferred the old Shell station stay.  According to this article, it looks like they already told the food truck to take a hike.  I believe they're officially saying the Hourglass district starts west of Conway Gardens Road.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-conway-smoke-shop-plaza-20180308-story.html

Agreed - they didn't really let the smoke shop happen...there just wasn't' significant enough work done to the gas station to make them conform to any newer codes.

Interesting about the Hourglass extending to Conway Gardens.  Obviously "says who?" comes to mind.  But if I was the developer, I would stick to a nice dense area between Crystal Lake and Bumby.   Otherwise, he's inheriting a fair amount of blight just to claim Pizza Bruno LOL

8 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Plus, I've never seen a free standing Aldi's, though that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Theres plenty! East Colonial south of UCF, Narcoossee, OBT by West Holden which is the one codypet posted, and the Sand Lake one in front of the FL  Mall which is behind my house lol 

ALDI EColonial.png

ALDI Narcossee.png

ALDI OBT.png

ALDIS SAND.png

Edited by W7edwin

31 minutes ago, W7edwin said:

Theres plenty! East Colonial south of UCF, Narcoossee, OBT by West Holden which is the one codypet posted, and the Sand Lake one in front of the FL  Mall which is behind my house lol 

I haven't been to any of those parts of town in years.

I just found out last week that there's a Walmart Super Center on OBT around Oak Ridge Rd that's been there for around five or six years. And I only live five miles from there!!!! :o

Like the old song says "Don't Get Around Much Anymore". :D

• Haha 1

I wonder if folks aren't starting to get the Hourglass "District" confused with the Curry Ford West Main Street district (which is technically aiming for Market Street status, not Main Street). CFW will run from the beginning of the commercial district near the Bel Air neighborhood on Curry Ford to the west all the way to the Piper's/Cafe Madrid shopping center on the east side of Conway to the east.

The Hourglass developers have only bought properties around the Bumby/CF intersection AFAIK.

This is a good example of bad timing since both the Main Street District and the Hourglass people made their plans known publicly within months of each other.

• Like 1

They are also building a freestanding Aldi on Curry Ford @ Dean Rd.  At least the sign in front of the closed 5/3 Bank says so.  There are tons of them around the country that are all alone.  I grew up with Aldi in the Midwest and I'd never seen on that wasn't freestanding until I came here, so it works both ways.

Same with Chick-fil-A.  I'd never seen one that wasn't in a mall food court!  I was floored when there was one just standing out like a normal fast food joint.  That was in the late 90s and there are now freestanding ones in my old hometown, but at the time it was a novelty.