Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

Oh no! The former Sambos on OBT has been torn down. They had interesting architecture and I adored the Six Little Sambo Cakes as a kid. Sadly, the name was politically incorrect even though it was just the joining of the founders' names (the use of imagery from the Jungle Book-like children's tale didn't help). There were also management issues and the chain met a slow and painful demise.

Just now, spenser1058 said:

Oh no! The former Sambos on OBT has been torn down. They had interesting architecture and I adored the Six Little Sambo Cakes as a kid. Sadly, the name was politically incorrect even though it was just the joining of the founders' names (the use of imagery from the Jungle Book-like children's tale didn't help). There were also management issues and the chain met a slow and painful demise.

There was a Sambo's over on Merritt Island back in the 70's across from the mall. Went there a few times. Where on OBT was this one you're talking about?

27 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Just south of Holden on the east side across from a lake (for years in the '60's there was a billboard across from it, that proclaimed, "This Is Disney's Land," that made me wonder how WDW ended up on OBT.)

OK. Looked it up on Street View. Still on there.

Not too late to take a screenshot for your old Orlando scrapbook... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 3/18/2018 at 2:15 AM, spenser1058 said:

d1514cd03cbdc1b3bb93c8226cdf001e.jpg

I did some reading up on this chain and it appears Denny's bought up many of the locations which maybe is why I associated the design with them.  Denny's has fascinating architectural history.  Along with a lesser extent Howard Johnson's, Days Inn, Shoney's, Ihop, Friendly's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, KFC, McDonald's and Dairy Queen among others.

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

Winn-Dixie parent replacing Orlando store with Hispanic supermarket Fresco y Mas

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-fresco-y-mas-winn-dixie-20180320-story.html#nt=oft03a-1gp3

Looks like all the SE Grocers are going to the same interior except for the color sceme.   Fresco using yellow and black, Harvey's using green and white, Winn Dixie and Bilo using red and white.  Like I said before I like the update, and hope they can expand it to all the stores.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sunshine said:

Winn-Dixie parent replacing Orlando store with Hispanic supermarket Fresco y Mas

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-fresco-y-mas-winn-dixie-20180320-story.html#nt=oft03a-1gp3

I think that's a good niche move for the company, but the signage and colors stink.  It does not scream "come and shop here" or rather "ven a comprar aqui."

21 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I think that's a good niche move for the company, but the signage and colors stink.  It does not scream "come and shop here" or rather "ven a comprar aqui."

The article noted it would be going up against a Sedano's - wonder if Publix will slot a Sabor in over there.

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2018 at 3:22 PM, orange87 said:

I don't understand why people are investing and building so much in Lake Nona. Why not Downtown Orlando?

One developer controls everything. Some people really like the suburbs. And Lake Nona is turning into more than the suburbs with the town center.