Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

Meanwhile, further east on FL 50 in Beautiful Downtown Bithlo, FDOT/FTE has upped the ante in their duel with CFXWAY over an expansion of the East-West Expressway by proposing their Colonial Parkway project extend along FL520 past the Bithlo Cutoff and down to the junction with FL528 (the BeeLine for JFW and Hank, NOT the Beachline.)

Stay tuned:

http://bit.ly/2PAqnMb

From the Sentinel

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

I don’t like the idea of expanding the 408 farther east. It’s just going to encourage more sprawl.

Now converting the center lanes of 50 to faster express lanes is a better idea that I can get on board with.  The only problem is that it’s going to make the road very very difficult to cross. This project MUST provide MULTIPLE pedestrian bridges across the parkway if it wants to even partially please the residents in the Bithlo area.

2 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

I don’t like the idea of expanding the 408 farther east. It’s just going to encourage more sprawl.

Now converting the center lanes of 50 to faster express lanes is a better idea that I can get on board with.  The only problem is that it’s going to make the road very very difficult to cross. This project MUST provide MULTIPLE pedestrian bridges across the parkway if it wants to even partially please the residents in the Bithlo area.

So, umm, whats the real difference in building express lanes in the center of it making the road hard to cross and likely needing an insane number of bridges and building those same loanes as a seperate free/tollway a mile away?

• Like 1

Because by building in currently undeveloped land causes that land to then become developed.  If you build the lanes where there is already developments takes away some of the incentive of building new developments.  I only really agree with the parkway idea from the 408 through Bithlo so that local traffic is separated from through traffic. 

FYI, I don’t actually live there and don’t know exactly how developed the area already is. My assumption is that it is partially developed.

1 hour ago, WAJAS98 said:

Because by building in currently undeveloped land causes that land to then become developed.  If you build the lanes where there is already developments takes away some of the incentive of building new developments.  I only really agree with the parkway idea from the 408 through Bithlo so that local traffic is separated from through traffic. 

FYI, I don’t actually live there and don’t know exactly how developed the area already is. My assumption is that it is partially developed.

Either way, there is likely going to be very few exits in that area when its built initially. The off SR 50 route is still very close to 50, and any exit is going to go onto a road that connects to SR 50, and housing developments can't locate with access off the highway itself. SR50 is pretty miserable through that area whenever i try to use it to get to 95 as the development/suburban spawl hasn't stopped. Locating it in the middle of SR50 will limit the intersections even on the non-express portion and make it very difficult for any business to succeed on that route. I'd imagine the SR50 express alternative will spur the creation of a bunch of north-south arterials wherever they manage to get an intersection on SR50 that will make it even more damaging as far as sprawl. Its not a popular concept in road design for good reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aent said:

Either way, there is likely going to be very few exits in that area when its built initially. The off SR 50 route is still very close to 50, and any exit is going to go onto a road that connects to SR 50, and housing developments can't locate with access off the highway itself. SR50 is pretty miserable through that area whenever i try to use it to get to 95 as the development/suburban spawl hasn't stopped. Locating it in the middle of SR50 will limit the intersections even on the non-express portion and make it very difficult for any business to succeed on that route. I'd imagine the SR50 express alternative will spur the creation of a bunch of north-south arterials wherever they manage to get an intersection on SR50 that will make it even more damaging as far as sprawl. Its not a popular concept in road design for good reason.

You make many good points.  After taking in what you’ve said, maybe the best option is simply serving Bithlo with a single exit and going to the coast with very limited access. It would be the only way to bring through traffic to the beach without encouraging development of what’s left of the nature east of Orlando. Basically, just a second 528.

• Like 1

CFXWAY is holding a public hearing Aug 30 about a proposed limited access route between the Webster (FL 429) and US 27. Such a road would fall about halfway between FL 50 and US 192 and would improve east-west connectivity in the Horizon West area.

Public meeting to discuss Lake-Orange Connector set for next week
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-orange-lake-connector-expressway-authority-meeting-20180824-story.html

From the Sentinel

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

CFXWAY is holding a public hearing Aug 30 about a proposed limited access route between the Webster (FL 429) and US 27. Such a road would fall about halfway between FL 50 and US 192 and would improve east-west connectivity in the Horizon West area.

Public meeting to discuss Lake-Orange Connector set for next week
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-orange-lake-connector-expressway-authority-meeting-20180824-story.html

From the Sentinel

very much needed IMO

7 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

Sorry if posted elsewhere, but I haven't seen any comments on the 7-story mixed-use plans in Baldwin Park.   It's on the same block as the Sun Bank.

There's a bit of a discussion here:

We could probably use a thread for Audubon Park/Baldwin Park/Rose Isle but no one has created one yet.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:38 PM, WAJAS98 said:

East Orlando and East of Orlando is slated for major growth from major land owners that are working on master plans.  They need to plan for that with highway extensions.  To your point, if they don't build access roads along a 408 extension then they won't sprawl adjacent to it (like the Lake Underhill corridor)...

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

LOL - A small town in Lake County (near Mount Dora.)

LOL...Eustis ain't too bad, ya know (their downtown)...

2 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

East Orlando and East of Orlando is slated for major growth from major land owners that are working on master plans.  They need to plan for that with highway extensions.  To your point, if they don't build access roads along a 408 extension then they won't sprawl adjacent to it (like the Lake Underhill corridor)...

LOL...Eustis ain't too bad, ya know (their downtown)...

It's really not - they've just had a hard time getting it together. FH Waterman dithering had a lot to do with it. Meanwhile, while Eustis plodded, Mt. Dora charged ahead. It's a little like Ocoee vs. Winter Garden although my cousin Rusty would hang me by my toenails for saying that.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, I am Reality said:

Anyone know what happened to the HostDime HQ in Eatonville?

It's been stalled for a long while. But I don't even see signs there anymore.  Did they pull the plug?  

It would have been great addition to that underdeveloped area, with tons of visibility.

thought the same thing myself.  it doesn't look too good, though...