Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

• 2 weeks later...

On opposite ends of the spectrum and opposite ends of the County are two proposed "projects". I think we may have discussed the large park proposal in West Orange previously and it seems it may be making some progress. OC has hired a master planner to design the 220 acre park which would be 11 times the size of any other OC park and about 1/3 the size of NYC Central Park.  https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/orange-county-explores-ideas-for-park-in-horizon-west

Meanwhile, in the far east... of the county, the oft defeated Town of Preservation is getting a boost from local lawmaker Re. Plasencia who intends a referendum on creation of the Town.

Preservation's "geographic area would rival Maitland and its population would be an estimated 17,500 residents..."

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/03/04/orlando-lawmaker-calls-for-referendum-on-creating-a-new-town-named-preservation-in-east-orange-county

Here is the feasibility study, if interested, and the map is on page 9 (it basically stretches from behind UCF to the 528 and swallows up large portions of conservation and preserve area).

http://www.trbas.com/media/media/acrobat/2019-03/69971534431440-01093937.pdf?utm_source=Pulptown&utm_campaign=228679f84b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_03_01_11_42&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9eb436e7f3-228679f84b-167155435&mc_cid=228679f84b&mc_eid=7ae6da5f5b

Speaking of the East side of town, the area immediately West of the landfill and East-ish of the old Pinecastle Jeep Range is  being developed.  It is outside of the bombing range limits, but well inside of the rocket range limits.

https://www.ocpafl.org/Content/Dynamic/File.pdf?FID=149797

This project is bordered by the 417 on the West, Young Pine on the East, an existing subdivision on the North, and Lee Vista Blvd on the South.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/09/MPBStaffReport2018-09_MPL2018-10048_Addendum.pdf

The biggest perk for me when I used to live on that end of town would have been connecting Lee Vista to Young Pine, which is a requirement of the project.  A day late and a dollar short.

Edited by HankStrong

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

The biggest perk for me when I used to live on that end of town would have been connecting Lee Vista to Young Pine, which is a requirement of the project.  A day late and a dollar short.

Would the connection to Young Pine allow access to Innovation Way by looping around the dump?

To be fair, this area is long past that concern.  There are thousands of homes on all sides of it.

My real comment is that area has two major concerns: it is right next to the landfill and the existing residents were up in arms about the smell (NEWSFLASH! You bought a home by the dump!) and the fact that this neighborhood is fully in the rocket zone potentially having unexploded ordinance in the ground.

Not everyone is Spence and knows the history of Orange County, but I know I lived out there when they found the bombs at Odyssey Middle and closely watched the reports to see if my home was in the zone.  Thankfully, it wasn't.  This neighborhood is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/25/2019 at 4:07 AM, aent said:

Histdime building was proposed in that area at one point, but that's kind of been all over the place.

wasn't Hostdime supposed to go off of Wymore  near WESH?

On 2/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, cwetteland said:

I know the garages being built attached to  the eye sore in Altamonte and free standing garages to the East of eyesore have been discussed,; however, I haven't i haven't seen anything regarding the large garage being constructed South of the eye sore, close to I-4 and the condos to the south.  I can't tell if it is part of apartments or what.   There are now vertical columns going up south of the garage.  Anything on this?

the garage looks close to complete and there are smaller concrete pilings going in on the south side of it; maybe on the north too, but it's hard to tell from I-4.  I thought maybe it was a garage for an apartment building; not sure though.

Here's a story from 2017 on the Emerson development at Crane's Roost.  I don't think this is what the project is that's being built just off I-4:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/classified/realestate/os-cfb-real-estate-altamonte-offices-20170811-story.html

I didn't realize that Central Parkway is going to get an exit.  That's huge.

4 hours ago, HankStrong said:

To be fair, this area is long past that concern.  There are thousands of homes on all sides of it.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, the spot you labeled "New Neighborhood" on your map, is currently a decent sized expanse of green, undeveloped land, with more stretching off to the east. I guess that to me, every time an unspoiled parcel gets bulldozed and paved over it's just one more chip getting chipped away from what's left. 

I know there's a need for housing and growing the property tax base etc, but I still think developers are over building compared to what is actually needed. 

It would be nice to see them build high rise condos out there and surround them all with large parks. 

Silly idea, of course.

To developers, unpaved and unbuilt upon land is nothing but unexploited potential for money.

28 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, the spot you labeled "New Neighborhood" on your map, is currently a decent sized expanse of green, undeveloped land, with more stretching off to the east. I guess that to me, every time an unspoiled parcel gets bulldozed and paved over it's just one more chip getting chipped away from what's left. 

I know there's a need for housing and growing the property tax base etc, but I still think developers are over building compared to what is actually needed. 

It would be nice to see them build high rise condos out there and surround them all with large parks. 

Silly idea, of course.

To developers, unpaved and unbuilt upon land is nothing but unexploited potential for money.

Le Corbusier, is that you? East Orange as the “Radiant City” - who knew!?!

16 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Silly idea, of course.

The good news is all the green space to the East is owned by the landfill.  This should be the final in-fill.

The flipside to the condo thing is that someone else would be complaining that they are moving downtown away from downtown.  It's a no-win.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

The good news is all the green space to the East is owned by the landfill.  This should be the final in-fill.

The flipside to the condo thing is that someone else would be complaining that they are moving downtown away from downtown.  It's a no-win.

Certainly nothing will ever please everybody, and I'm sure you're right about how a small handful of people, probably those who post on forums like this one, would complain about moving high rise living away from the urban core, but such a complaint seems kind of minor when compared to preserving as much green space as possible for the future.

Right now, Florida thankfully still has vast swaths of wilderness running from south of Kissimmee and Tampa to the Everglades, and in the panhandle and big bend areas.

But it won't be there forever if we keep chipping away at it. I'm all for saving every acre we possibly can because every acre lost to sprawl is another acre we'll never get back.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2019 at 3:49 PM, jrs2 said:

wasn't Hostdime supposed to go off of Wymore  near WESH?

On 2/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, cwetteland said:

That was another proposal, but as I said, they've been all over the place with what they've proposed. They definitely don't seem to really care about location at all.

15 hours ago, jrs2 said:

have you or anyone else here been on Monroe before to see if it can handle that kind of traffic?

Yes.  It's a much heartier road than the 2 lane current option.  There are more intersections and places to turn from, obviously, but 1st street and Monroe are both much more improved than the current 17-92 in that stretch. 

I actually already go that way the few times a year I make that trek.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kroger is building a large, high-tech distribution center in Groveland:

https://www.dailycommercial.com/news/20190319/kroger-to-build-high-tech-distribution-center-in-groveland?template=ampart

From the Leesburg Daily Commercial 

It sounds rather ambitious just for Lucky’s- wonder if Kroger is finally ready to hit Publix on their home turf with their flagship brand?

*sings “Let’s Go Krogering” in three-part harmony with Andy and Hank*

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Kroger is building a large, high-tech distribution center in Groveland:

https://www.dailycommercial.com/news/20190319/kroger-to-build-high-tech-distribution-center-in-groveland?template=ampart

From the Leesburg Daily Commercial 

It sounds rather ambitious just for Lucky’s- wonder if Kroger is finally ready to hit Publix on their home turf with their flagship brand?

*sings “Let’s Go Krogering” in three-part harmony with Andy and Hank*

Ah, and the new interchange at Fla Tnpk is seeing one of it's first byproducts ala this distribution center...

• Like 1