Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

On the topic of plate redesign, the hometown champions tag went from BORING to a hot commodity overnight.

A white plate with a circle Pegasus on the far left to the black plate with a strong & bold gold UCF logo?  To quote Charlie Sheen: "WINNING!"

I don't honestly get the Pegasus logo in the first place, but I'm not a UCF guy.  They aren't the UCF Pegasuseseseses.  Was the Golden Knight (now demoted to just a Knight) originally on Pegasus?

I am a huge fan of the stylized Pegasus on the University seal. It sets us apart and ties in classic themes while also looking quite modern.

Having said that, the Knight absolutely doesn’t fit. My guess is they ran into a problem - what kind of mascot do you pair with Pegasus? A bunch of Pucks flitting about?

I suppose you could call us the Athenians or something but that seems odd. It’s a conundrum we’ve just had to learn to overlook.

Charge On!

FWIW, I have the Pegasus tag and am content. My KnightPass, however, has the athletic dept UCF logo.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

TV series produced in Central Florida wraps; “The Right Stuff” is filming on the Space Coast.

Is Hollywood East making a comeback? (Remember, unlike places like Georgia, Florida doesn’t offer incentives.)

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv-guy/os-et-david-makes-man-orlando-tv-series-20190809-kze2o35ceff4pevhssrpvuul7y-story.html

From the Sentinel 

About team mascots: Alrhough I’m proud to be a Knight, I’m sorry we dropped the ball as we followed in the footsteps of the state’s older teams.

UF, FSU, UM, FAMU, and even FIU picked mascots that had at least some tie to the state.

In pro sports, the Dolphins, the Bucs (even though the Gasparilla pirate is largely mythical, but hey, the natives believe), the Magic and the Heat have names that fit.

I had sort of hoped when FTU was renamed and before the football team launched, we’d fix it but we didn’t. Do we have owls in Florida? I’ve never seen one here.

OCSC also blew it.

Oh well, at least we’re not named after a toxic nut. Come to think of it, that does sort of remind me of their former head coach... *runs quickly from Hank and Andy*

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jgardnerucf said:

FAU are Owls.

That. I know. I was wondering if they chose that because Boca is an aerie of owls  or something or it was just random (like Knights or Lions).

Maybe they were just anticipating Lane’s coming one day and filling the campus with wise old smarta**es...

Edited by spenser1058

^^Cute.

We have owls downtown too. Spotted one in Lake Davis... it silently flew behind me and perched on a street sign only a few feet from where a friend and I were standing. Dark grayish and didn't seem fazed by humans. A bit creepy to suddenly find one staring at you in the dark lol.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

^^Cute.

We have owls downtown too. Spotted one in Lake Davis... it silently flew behind me and perched on a street sign only a few feet from where a friend and I were standing. Dark grayish and didn't seem fazed by humans. A bit creepy to suddenly find one staring at you in the dark lol.

Username checks out. 

• Like 3

The City wants to sell off the last piece of the old McCoy Naval Annex and convert it into a mixed-use project featuring entry-level homes and more:

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/gs-news-southport-village-center-naval-base-20190815-uz3pxsxn4rgu3jeuiaoyu3biia-story.html?outputType=amp

From the Sentinel 

• Like 1

Promises, promises, promises.

After announcing about a year ago that the Majesty Building, aka The I-4 Eyesore, would be completed by around the beginning of summer 2019, the owner is now telling us that the opening is, once again, delayed indefinitely.

Blaming "other local construction projects" (chiefly  the I-4 Ultimate  project) for slowing down their efforts.

I don't know.

I do know I'd like a pair if those socks, though!!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Promises, promises, promises.

After announcing about a year ago that the Majesty Building, aka The I-4 Eyesore, would be completed by around the beginning of summer 2019, the owner is now telling us that the opening is, once again, delayed indefinitely.

Blaming "other local construction projects" (chiefly  the I-4 Ultimate  project) for slowing down their efforts.

I don't know.

I do know I'd like a pair if those socks, though!!! :thumbsup:

Well, we called this one correctly. Since our track record is currently intact, let’s see how we do with another local project I can think of. Thanks for posting this.

I do like those socks!

39 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Well, we called this one correctly. Since our track record is currently intact, let’s see how we do with another local project I can think of. Thanks for posting this.

I do like those socks!

Sadly, I kind of believed them last year. Guess I was just being overly optimistic.

Anyway, if you like the socks, here's where to get a pair, along with a couple of other Orlando designs.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/os-et-gift-guide-rock-em-socks-20181114-story.html

Perfect gift for that UP'er on your Christmas list!!! :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

I don't know the people behind Garber Communities, but they deserve a hat tip. A few years back they bought and restored (very nicely) the old State Auto building on Orlando Ave in WP. It is now home to a Foxtail, a brewery, a distillery and some trendy foodie spots.

In the past year they bought the United Trophy building on Orange near the Sentinel property and an old bank on Horatio in Maitland. They are restoring and converting both of those to concepts similar to State Auto.

More recently they bought another Orlando Ave, WP building to complement State auto and most recently bought the "Triple Nipple" in Paramore for a not yet disclosed purpose- though early word is it will be similar to the others. The Weekly article mentions special events at this location prior to renovation- I would be surprised if Baratelli is not planning his indoor market here.

They seem to do high quality work on restoring their properties and, if State Auto is an indicator, they become interesting little hubs in the community.

From growthspotter, “We tend to look for historically significant buildings,” Wood said. “What we’re able to do is show how we can keep them in their original architecture and essentially breathe new life into them.”

So they save an old building and improve the area organically. That should make Spenser smile.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-mills-place-central-city-station-garber-development-20190822-2humkzechfchjlv7qs4rpqk7ne-story.html

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/08/22/orlando-warehouse-from-1920s-to-be-restored-as-community-gathering-space-called-central-city-station

• Like 3

I put this in a different topic area earlier, but thought this might be a better location- added info also follows.

Longwood’s greyhound track sells; future development could remake city

32 acres, possibly mixed use.

I haven't been then way since I last visited Hourglass Brewing several years ago, but the area could sure use some improvement.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-ne-longwood-greyhound-racing-dog-track-sells-20190827-nqig3cxcebh3xblo4qvxx5kiwe-story.html

New info this evening- GS reports the property was listed at $7.35M, but was incredibly hot and drew numerous offers which likely increased the price. The sale was pretty much forced due to Amendment 13 and one of the huge values is it is an opportunity zone. 

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/seminole-county-developments/gs-news-dog-track-20190827-xwdslz2nuncnha462mhgkrlal4-story.html