Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

36 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Ya'll have enough money left over to add one of these fancy visors? 

visors_20main_20ebayud_7d7e517a-8bd0-4212-8486-b6c639af945f_480x480.jpg

As nice as one of those would be, that's stretching a $10 bill awfully thin.

Couldn't even get one at The Dollar Tree with our 4¢ change.

Maybe we can request a $1 funding increase.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

As nice as one of those would be, that's stretching a $10 bill awfully thin.

Couldn't even get one at The Dollar Tree with our 4¢ change.

Maybe we can request a $1 funding increase.

10% of the project cost?  I'm sure that was factored into the contingency.

On 10/27/2019 at 10:35 AM, spenser1058 said:

The first phase of the Mount Dora Marketplace, a unique hybrid of food hall and retail shops that is replacing two downtown restaurants, is now open:

https://www.mountdorabuzz.com/business--real-estate

From Mount Dora Buzz

Love me some Dora! My grandmother used to run the venerable old Princess Theatre.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 10:35 AM, spenser1058 said:

The first phase of the Mount Dora Marketplace, a unique hybrid of food hall and retail shops that is replacing two downtown restaurants, is now open:

https://www.mountdorabuzz.com/business--real-estate

From Mount Dora Buzz

I've wandered in twice and sad to say I'm not impressed. The space is not conducive to what they are trying to do... way to small and choppy. So far the only good tenant is Wolf Branch, but I hope the 2nd building will be better. I haven't been there in there since they held the craft festival, but I'm interested in talking to the vendors to see how that went.

13 minutes ago, Dale said:

Love me some Dora! My grandmother used to run the venerable old Princess Theatre.

How did I not know this was a thing...?

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/17069

2 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I've wandered in twice and sad to say I'm not impressed. The space is not conducive to what they are trying to do... way to small and choppy. So far the only good tenant is Wolf Branch, but I hope the 2nd building will be better. I haven't been there in there since they held the craft festival, but I'm interested in talking to the vendors to see how that went.

How did I not know this was a thing...?

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/17069

Siblings, cousins and myself were treated to special showings!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sanford as a tourist destination? The city’s giving its best shot (note to those who think we have to wait for another 30 - 40- or 50,000 people to move in rather than getting Thomas Chatmon to actually earn his six figure salary and DO something to get a hardware or bike store in downtown Orlando, this is how you do it: determine the need, provide an incentive and then go and sell it).

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-ne-sanford-tourism-tax-rebates-20191106-kzcvsebmcrdwvllmwyo2wdyvrm-story.html

From the Sentinel 

34 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Sanford as a tourist destination? The city’s giving its best shot (note to those who think we have to wait for another 30 - 40- or 50,000 people to move in rather than getting Thomas Chatmon to actually earn his six figure salary and DO something to get a hardware or bike store in downtown Orlando, this is how you do it: determine the need, provide an incentive and then go and sell it).

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-ne-sanford-tourism-tax-rebates-20191106-kzcvsebmcrdwvllmwyo2wdyvrm-story.html

From the Sentinel 

I don't understand why we would stop at a hardware store or bike shop. Surely we could incent a butcher, a baker and maybe even a candlestick maker.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again: another old-timer trying to recapture past glory (that he is one of the biggest homophobes in Orlando doesn’t help):

https://twitter.com/orlandosports/status/1196914777886515200?s=21

My prediction: this will go as well as Bob Snow’s effort to bring back CSS. Pro baseball (other than spring training and it’s been losing ground) is as successful here as FBS football is in the northeast.

Meanwhile, can we PLEASE get more new blood in town like Danny White?

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Here we go again: another old-timer trying to recapture past glory (that he is one of the biggest homophobes in Orlando doesn’t help):

https://twitter.com/orlandosports/status/1196914777886515200?s=21

My prediction: this will go as well as Bob Snow’s effort to bring back CSS. Pro baseball (other than spring training and it’s been losing ground) is as successful here as FBS football is in the northeast.

Meanwhile, can we PLEASE get more new blood in town like Danny White?

I can’t read the twitter.  Are the Rays coming here?

27 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I can’t read the twitter.  Are the Rays coming here?

Not necessarily. Pat Williams has decided to go for a last hurrah and try to bring MLB to Orlando. Details tomorrow.

My take: that dog won’t hunt. If I had to guess, this is bubbling up from The I-Drive crowd to yet again spend TDT money frivolously rather than using it for things people need. 

14 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Not necessarily. Pat Williams has decided to go for a last hurrah and try to bring MLB to Orlando. Details tomorrow.

My take: that dog won’t hunt. If I had to guess, this is bubbling up from The I-Drive crowd to yet again spend TDT money frivolously rather than using it for things people need. 

Well, I just hear from a colleague through his business contacts that big news tomorrow.  I’m assuming something definite other than a plan...

The two worst teams in attendance in MLB: St. Pete and Miami.

Orlando has been incapable of supporting a minor league team for years, which is where MLB traditionally looks at expansion.

What has, ummmm, Magically changed?

The St. Pete Times say the Rays were unaware of the news conference and that MLB is in meetings in Texas this week:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2019/11/19/is-orlando-trying-again-to-get-in-the-baseball-game/?outputType=amp

Edited by spenser1058

Sportsnaut.com has an article from yesterday alluding to what Spenser posted.  But what I heard dealt with the Rays specifically.  The Sportsnaut article also mentioned Las Vegas and Portland as potential expansion cities. Unless it is about the Rays now, maybe the expansion bid (if that’s what it is) is being made merely to lure the Rays here.

Another interesting point: it’s generally accepted that the currently most successful second tier city that we should all aspire to be is Austin, Texas.

How many major league teams does Austin have? Nada. In 2021, they’re getting major league soccer, which we already have.

Meanwhile, think of all the failing U.S. cities with major league teams: Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, New Orleans... even places that are still seeing some growth like Cincinnati, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, etc. are growing more slowly than Orlando. 

A place like Jacksonville that very few people know much about might benefit from a major league team (given the state of the Jags, that’s probably questionable at the moment).

There’s virtually no one in America, however, that hasn’t heard of Orlando. Another irony is that if a team goes off I-Drive as is frequently recommended, that just solidifies the notion that tourism is all we are.

As for putting heads in beds, college football bowl games bring in more visitors more consistently than hoping to be good enough once a decade to make the World Series or even longer for an All-Star game.

If someone wants to drop a team in Orlando, have at it. However, not one penny should come from the taxpayers to make another billionaire even wealthier at our expense and especially not a family as anti-diversity and as dedicated to the destruction of public education as the DeVos’.