Marina Tower

doormanpoet

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hehehehehe

You know... I think it needs some adjustments... but I kind of like it... well maybe not exatly as it is, but I REALLY like the idea of an ULTRA MODERN building in Nashville... (I know this sketch is more 70's modern than ultramodern... but at least its not SAFE nor is it boring) I know Nashville wants to maintain its architectural history.. but it seems that all the buildings need to look alike... in fact they sort of do. Look at the pictures of the skyline from the Bicentenial park... That skyline is very beautiful with the congress building up on top and all... but the buildings are all sort of have the same architecture and are ALL the same color!!!!!! Beige!!!! Dowtown needs some COLOR... and some modern and cool buildings! It needs to break the mold. Not on ALL the buildings, but have 3 or 4 be REALLY cool! PLEASE!!! Look at Little Rock, they have a couple of VERY COOL modern Buildings, (thanks Bill Clinton, for that AWESOME library!!!!!!!) and their architecture is sort of like Nashvilles... and it works!

But no... with every building (with the exeption of the the west end summit which is pretty cool, though not downtown, and that FIRST sketch of the sig. building which was AWESOME, not this current one they have) the look is pretty safe. (Edited... after seeing the small pic in the tennessean I had not noticed the details on top.. now that the larger pic. has been posted, I retract... that building IS pretty cool)

I remember reading in the Nashville Scene when the sketches of the Veridian were finally made available. They blasted it for the green and blue tones of the glass and the building saying it looked like something from Fort Lauderdale, and how it could never work in Nashville. WHY NOT? Color isn't limited to beige, gray and red. Even in places that get cold. Look at Europe. You go to the coldest countries, and they have buildings that are light blue, and green and pink... and it works... the winters in Europe don't seem as dreary as they did growing up in say, Chicago... Now I am not saying to put blue and green and pink in Downtown Nashville, but SOME color OTHER than beige, gray and red, would be nice. And a few modern buildings would too.

So all this to say.... don't be so quick to write off a building just because it isn't JUST LIKE all the others.... from what I have heard people thought the batman building was too modern as well... gaudy even... until it was built and now people seem to be pretty proud of it..... Change is good people... say it with me... change is good.... (just teasing... please don't take personally)

Paula

From the beginning, I never really took this to be a serious proposal. When presenting this idea to the Thermal Site task force, the developer said that one of the benefits of his design was that the tiered upper floors created "suicide-prevention" balconies that would keep suicidal tennants from falling more than a couple floors when jumping.

Is that really the way you present a legitimate design? He might as well have said "This building will make people want to jump to their death."

Archived