Retail/stores you would like to see in SE VA

I am new here so if this is a dead horse, sorry. But with such a big and growing area, why are there still some national chains that are not looking at us at all? Here is my dream list:

1) Trader Joe's: There are a couple of places in Ghent that this would fit into nicely, one in Pembroke and who knows where else. The Fresh Market at Hilltop is nice but SO SO SO expensive.

2) Which brings me to Wild Oats Market. Why couldn't they have gotten this for either the Town Center or that Tazewell thing in Norfolk? A GW Marketplace? Well if it is anything like some of the organic shops that Farm Fresh has been setting up inside its nicer stores, I can see it working. If it is anything like the one one Ghent... that would be sad.

3) IKEA (that is a very long shot, I know, but Baltimore has one) would be nice in Chesapeake or somewhere on the way to the Outer Banks. A lot of their stuff is cheap and nice looking, seems like a nice match for the area.

4) SuperTarget: why don't we have any of these? It would be so much nicer to have these all over the place instead of super WalMarts everywhere. Or even more than one Greatlands Target would be nice.

5) Crate & Barell: Preferably not a mall store either, but a free standing one.

6) Virgin Records... Well I have to say that Relative Theory was LONG OVERDUE for the area. It's growing each time I go in. But Planet Music and all the other chains are so lame, and most of the independants are all used or weird beyond belief. Still a Tower or Virgin would be a nice compliment to the Town Center with its emphasis on chains.

7) H&M... oh wait that is coming. But I am hoping that it's not a women's only store like the one in Richmond. The one in DC is great, but I am sure that it is not going to be that big.

7) ONE LAST REQUEST: NO MORE RESTAURANTS IN THE TOWN CENTER!!! How about some retail besides Men's Warehouse and Ann Taylor?

And a final question about retail: What is happening to the Lord and taylor building? I heard that it will be torn down to make a parking lot. Is that on the table? What a watse if so.

edit: thread title

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people don't see us a viable market because of the high military traffic of people coming and going in the area. This area is looked over alot. I think we should have these things too, but we don't have great amount of high paying jobs that we should for the size of the area. So that is why i believe we are over looked. I grew up here so i want this more than anything.

Yes it was. I love relative theory :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the next 10 years we will see what will happen with the retail business in our area. I tell you this I think it will take something major for this area(major league team or major business hq coming) to make it viable to outsiders to move their chain to here. Lets hope this happens. I think if a major league team comes more people will relocate to this area. I hear that alot that people love the area but there is no major sports team or nothing major to do. I think that will be the turning stone if a major league team decides to bring it to Norfolk. If you build it they will come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

MacArthur Center brought a lot of first-time retailers to Hampton Roads. However they did that, they should keep doing it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure they will continue to, it has worked really well for them so far. I just want to comment that we are nowhere near getting a Tower records or Virgin Megastore simply due the high price of CD's and their low turnover rate. Operating expenses are very high for those stores and if they do come, I think they fit best over at the oceanfront or downtown norfolk.

I honestly want to see a Modell's sports store in our area. They are pretty cheap and have lots of variety compared to a Foot Locker.

Well, I think over time as the area goes 'more upscale' with housing choices (esp Pembroke and DT/Ghent area) you will see them as well.

I also thought it would be cool to see an Ikea around here but I don't know if the area is ready for that yet. Same thing for the Crate and Barrel. But I could see 5 years down the road, once Pembroke has the Cosmopolitan, Cityview, the Westin, Town Square and possibly the new towers- the parking lot at Town Center and the Suntrust Bank lot at Pembroke mall - we might see more and more of these kinds of places. Oh, and I heard Super Target wants to enter into the Pembroke area (and a couple of other 'big box stores') but I am not sure where. I am thinking Towne Square at this point.

By the way, the restaurants are about all built out at Town Center and next is the most exciting being the retail. I can't wait to see what all is in store. :)

I am still very new here and this site is becomming addictive. I am sure I'll be reprimanded soon so before that comes here is another new topic: who knows what is going in/on at the local area malls, what can we expect to see and what would we like to see?

1) MacArthur: Any ideas for the missing link? Is there ever going to be a thrid anchor? Could they do something like a "power plant project" and put three retailers in on each floor? Crate & Barell, Target, H&M, Kohl's, or Best Buy? Tacky? Sure but better than an empty lot that has been there since the opening. Plus some malls have big boxe stores and it makes them more convinent.

2) Lynnhaven: Lord and Taylor's building?... And it is nice how they are sprucing up the outlying areas with new stores/fast food places.

3) Military Circle: I have heard that there is a lot of traffic there but you would not know from the outside. Facelift in the works? Please!

4) Pembroke: Looking great, needing better stores for sure. The food court is nicely done, but like the stores all the places in there are generic/no-name business. Kohl's was a nice catch, but they still have the other side where Freight Liquidators is (?!).

5) Janaf: Got a face-lift but still could use something where the HQ was, even if it means just tearing it down.

NOW for a few retail scares... what is going on in VA Beach with all of its shopping plazas that are in dire need of repair, stores, etc?

Haygood and Indpendance is a nightmare. Roses as an anchor? And an empty Farmer Jack's (if any of you even remember that chain)? All the "used to be" shells of old Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Burger King, etc. And two empty gas stations on prominent corners?

Down Newtown Road is barely better.

And on Haygood one plaza was renamed the "Matress Discounters Plaza"! If that isn't a kiss of death, I don't know what is! That is just in my area.

I do grow worried that there are huge areas at the Beach that are on the verge of blight. I would imagine that the city could try to rezone some of these plazas into a residential zone and at least build houses on the land. I guess that without a housing and redevopment authority they can't do that. I see the same thing (blighted strip malls) in Norfolk and Chesapeake too though so I guess that is not a cure-all. But with land being scarce I can't see why it's like pullingteeth for a rezone of an area.

I do grow worried that there are huge areas at the Beach that are on the verge of blight.  I would imagine that the city could try to rezone some of these plazas into a residential zone and at least build houses on the land.  I guess that without a housing and redevopment authority they can't do that.  I see the same thing (blighted strip malls) in Norfolk and Chesapeake too though so I guess that is not a cure-all.  But with land being scarce I can't see why it's like pullingteeth for a rezone of an area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the new zoning laws being enacted on behalf of the navy its not likely you'll see much more new development down at the beach, at least not residential anyway. I have heard talk about the beach creating an hrda but i don't know what ever came of that.

Alot of stores are scared to move to this area because of the shifting and moving of people. Once this area draws people other than military we will see higher end stores. We need more higher paying jobs. They survey areas based on the pay to see what kind of stores will survive in the area. We need more fortune 500 companies to plant themselves in the area. That probably the biggest issue of why we don't have the higher end stores. I think we will wait to see what the expansion of downtown norfolk and vabeach towncenter does to the area and see if it will catch the proper eyes. I think that a major league team would really influence that as well with the salaries of the players spending money in the area.

7) H&M... oh wait that is coming.  But I am hoping that it's not a women's only store like the one in Richmond.  The one in DC is great, but I am sure that it is not going to be that big.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have a ladies only H&M in the Providence Place Mall and it is so annoying because I want to shop there, but I'm not doing drag! :silly:

They have a full store up in Boston in Downtown Crossing and I want one down here, dammit! :angry:

I'd prefer to see entrepreneurial-type retail, restaurants, and bars, as opposed to high-scale national chains.

The problem I have with the chains is that it makes every city the same. Along those same lines, why would someone want to travel to Hampton Roads, when they can just go to their local city and find the same daggone things?

I'd love to see Hampton Roads embrace its own character and run with it. What you see on Granby street is a fine starting place in my opinion. Why not continue to add things that would be conducive and unique to the area?

There is alot of restaurants here that are local flavors. Hilltop has some, Granby, Ghent, Oceanfront also has local rest. and I know the penn. has some local rest. as well. I think there will be alot more. I understand what you are saying because you remember a city for the orginial rest. and types of shops.

There is alot of restaurants here that are local flavors. Hilltop has some, Granby, Ghent, Oceanfront also has local rest. and I know the penn. has some local rest. as well. I think there will be alot more. I understand what you are saying because you remember a city for the orginial rest. and types of shops.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Macy's as the third anchor of the MaAuthur Mall!

Macy's as the third anchor of the MaAuthur Mall!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It could happen! I remember when talk for the possible third anchor was really high around the opening of the mall all the way through its 2nd anniversary. I heard lots of talk that Macy's is the favorite to come but Saks 5th Ave was also putting up a fight and interest in the debate too. Man if we could just make another plot of land so both could come and anchor our mall lol. Since then the only comfirmation Ed Ladd and Taubman ever made was both "Macy's and Saks 5th Ave are strong considerations", "negotiations are onging with several potential anchors", and "we will add a third anchor when the time is right" which basically means that they aren't in a rush to add one.

Then again, maybe not... the new manager of MacArthur, Mr. Knarre replied in response to Lynnhaven's announcement of H&M that "we will hopefully recapture the buzz with new store announcments in the near future." Could he be referring to the third anchor in any way?

I don't see it till they bring the money here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed! So, what are some real ways of attracting these kind of companies? I believe we have an educated workforce, that I don't think that is the problem. I think the Peninsula is doing a better job (IMO) of attracting high paying jobs but that is because they have NASA over there as well as other high tech companies. One component of sucessfull cities is it's universities. ODU seems set on developing the campus in Norfolk so that is a plus. Hopefully, that will attract some attention. I do think the military makes it difficult because of the lower wages. That is one problem but alas we are dominated by the military and they are not going away. But if you think about it San Diego has a large base but they are doing quite well with the biotech industry. I wonder what are the missing components here in Hampton Roads?

There is an exceptionally good possibility that South Hampton Roads will be getting at least a couple of Macy's stores in 2006. How you ask? With Federated's (Macy's, Bloomingdales) pending buyout of May Company (Hechts, Lord and Taylor), the word on the retail street is that all Hechts will either be converted to Macy's, to Bloomingdales...or shuttered completely. In fact, ALL May Company stores (including venerable Marshall Fields and Lord and Taylor) will lose their old-line names forever over the next year or so. Of course, Lynnhaven's Hechts will be a strong candidate for a Macy's conversion. The present Hechts is a sales per sq ft standout, not only in the area, but nationally, as well. I would love to say that Federated would convert Lynnhaven's now-defunct Lord and Taylor store into a Bloomingdales, but I am not a fool. I also doubt Bloomingdales would come to Town Center of to MacArthur Center. Speaking of MacArthur Center (and specifically of the third anchor), if you will remember, Macy's was the first anchor to sign on to MacArthur Center project as originally conceived way back in 1994! Soon after, however, Macy's filed for bankruptcy and all expansion plans were shelved (enter Dillards). Federated's foray into our market should allow that company to take a fresh look at the "NEW" Norfolk (much has changed since 1994!), and hopefully they will be favorably impressed so as to consider building the region's flagship Macy's downtown in the third anchor block at MacArthur Center (estimated allocation of 160-180,000 sq ft). As for our inability to "afford" Macy's, from my travels I do know that Macy's will gear it's merchandise to the market (either up or down, as with Hecht's and Nordstrom), so Macy's is certainly not out of the question for Lynnhaven, MacArthur and maybe Greenbrier (with renovations).

There is an exceptionally good possibility that South Hampton Roads will be getting at least a couple of Macy's stores in 2006. How you ask?  With Federated's (Macy's, Bloomingdales) pending buyout of May Company (Hechts, Lord and Taylor), the word on the retail street is that all Hechts will either be converted to Macy's, to Bloomingdales...or shuttered completely. In fact, ALL May Company stores (including venerable Marshall Fields and Lord and Taylor) will lose their old-line names forever over the next year or so.  Of course, Lynnhaven's Hechts will be a strong candidate for a Macy's conversion. The present Hechts is a sales per sq ft standout, not only in the area, but nationally, as well. I would love to say that Federated would convert Lynnhaven's now-defunct Lord and Taylor store into a Bloomingdales, but I am not a fool.  I also doubt Bloomingdales would come to Town Center of to MacArthur Center. Speaking of MacArthur Center (and specifically of the third anchor), if you will remember, Macy's was the first anchor to sign on to MacArthur Center project as originally conceived way back in 1994! Soon after, however, Macy's filed for bankruptcy and all expansion plans were shelved (enter Dillards). Federated's foray into our market should allow that company to take a fresh look at the "NEW" Norfolk (much has changed since 1994!), and hopefully they will be favorably impressed so as to consider building the region's flagship Macy's downtown in the third anchor block at MacArthur Center (estimated allocation of 160-180,000 sq ft).  As for our inability to "afford" Macy's, from my travels I do know that Macy's will gear it's merchandise to the market (either up or down, as with Hecht's and Nordstrom), so Macy's is certainly not out of the question for Lynnhaven, MacArthur and maybe Greenbrier (with renovations).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, macys would be a good fit in both MacArthur and Lynnhaven. I also agree that Greenbrier would need some renovations, and possibly expansion, before they were to get something like that. Oh, btw, welcome to the forum babs! :)

Yeah, macys would be a good fit in both MacArthur and Lynnhaven. I also agree that Greenbrier would need some renovations, and possibly expansion, before they were to get something like that. Oh, btw, welcome to the forum babs! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vdogg, I've followed your posts on all of the other Hampton Roads/VB/Norfolk development boards, and I thank you for your timely and informed contributions. Hey, I have a meeting with Gerald Divaris in a few days. The topic: the future of Town Center development. Seeing as he has been the driving force behind Town Center for the better part of a quarter century, I'd like to be prepared to ask a few well-conceived questions of him. I already have a few in mind, but do you have any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Vdogg, I've followed your posts on all of the other Hampton Roads/VB/Norfolk development boards, and I thank you for your timely and informed contributions.  Hey, I have a meeting with Gerald Divaris in a few days. The topic: the future of Town Center development.  Seeing as he has been the driving force behind Town Center for the better part of a quarter century, I'd like to be prepared to ask a few well-conceived questions of him.  I already have a few in mind, but do you have any ideas?  Thanks for the help!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bet the hampton roads area would enjoy a Ukrop's or two. Williamsburg has fallen in love with it too and they are building a second location there to fulfill the demand which is scheduled to open 2006.

Vdogg, I've followed your posts on all of the other Hampton Roads/VB/Norfolk development boards, and I thank you for your timely and informed contributions.  Hey, I have a meeting with Gerald Divaris in a few days. The topic: the future of Town Center development.  Seeing as he has been the driving force behind Town Center for the better part of a quarter century, I'd like to be prepared to ask a few well-conceived questions of him.  I already have a few in mind, but do you have any ideas?  Thanks for the help!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, don't even get me started on that one. I think we could create a whole new thread just for that.

1.) I guess the first question i would ask, on behalf of all hampton roads forumers, is what the heck is the final height on the Westin going to be and if they have settled on a final design?

2.) The next question i would ask would be whether they are in consultation with the developers of cityview, and the prospective developers of the HQ property to ensure that towncenters feel is carried throughout the district, and doesn't become just a patchwork of ideas that doesn't really mesh?

3.) I would ask him how they plan to incorporate pembroke mall into the overall scheme of things and when do they plan on conneting the pedestrian bridges across Va. Beach and independence blvds. Walkability is essential to the success of this project, and so far i don't think they have addressed that issue well enough.

4.) Are there any plans to incorporate the properties bounded by Bonney road, independence, and constitution, into the overall towncenter scheme?

5.) Why has it taken so long to attract enough tenants to build a second office tower and how do they plan to address this issue?

6.) Does he feel that his efforts to create a CBD for Virginia Beach will in anyway adversly affect Norfolk?

7.) This ones for you babs- Why do i get the feeling that you're a reporter? B) .

Thats all i can thing of for now, i'm sure my fellow forumers can come up with many more. Stick around for a few days, you'll get an earful :lol: .

Archived