Retail/stores you would like to see in SE VA

Personally I am not a fan of Ukrop's because I do not like businesses that push moral values on people.

Just out of curiousity, how do they do that?......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Forcing morality on the masses? Yes, how exactly does Ukrops do that? The Ukrop family are wonderfully philanthropic. If they did come to Hampton Roads, I would support their store because they would support the community. You don't have anything against philanthropy, do you? Chik fil-a closes on Sundays. Do you object to that? I think it's great for their employees and their families, no matter their reasoning.

Clearly, we should embrace change in local retail--regardless of the pedigree or hometown of the "invading" corporation--if it all translates into superior selection, better value and expanded opportunities for development/redevelopment in the Hampton Roads community.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never said that they were forcing anyone to do anything. They have a tiny social agenda which is not selling alcohol. I feel the same about that as I do with another huge retailer that does not sell CDs that they think are "bad"... That doesn't mean I hate the Ukrops or that I would never shop in the store if it were near my house. I just wouldn't buy beer there, especially on Sundays

:rolleyes:

However, the Ukrop family shares a lot with their employees and community as well. Food Lion and WM certainly do not give their employees such benefits, days off or sometimes in the case of WM pay them when they are working. So there is good and bad in all. Looking at it realitically, I would actualy be more prone to shop at Ukrop's because they are a VA store and not owned by some multi-national conglomerate like Food Lion (Delhaize) or Farm Fresh (Supervalu). That is the beauty of dissent.

It's still there. As for Food Lion, I see the Wal-Mart Supercenters putting them out of business in the near future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I meant that the GW Marketplace was a Safeway. I know it's there as the GW. And wal-Mart putting them out of business? I dunno because there are a lot of people in Park Place who walk/ride busses and depend on that store. I don't see how the Super Wal Mart at the Crossroads area will have much impact on them. Now the Kroger and FF at Wards Corner... they might be getting their last rites when it opens. And I'd place my bets on the Kroger being gone if something does not happen at the Ames sopt soon...

I just wanted to mention something about the Ukrop's, having worked there. A lot of people think they are some kind of super conservative southern baptists that are opposed to drinking alcohol in any way. It's not true. From my understanding, when Joe Ukrop opened up his market on Hull st. in 1937, he didnt sell alcohol. His sons now run the company and because of tradition, do not sell alcohol today. It clearly hasn't hurt their business. A while back there were rumors witihin the company that they were considering offering a selection of dinner wines. I don't know if that will ever happen though. My guess it not anytime soon. It clearly hasn't hurt their business.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to see the row of Barnes & Noble, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. gobbled up too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are being looked at for future development as well. Hopefully we can keep the Barnes and Noble and a nice music store - maybe as mixed use projects.

Speaking of which I really am curious if B&N might relocate to the TC area..  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I heard from someone (here we go, right?) a while ago that B&N was supposed to relocate in the TC and that Old Navy would take up their store... Of course that could have been the plan before 9/11 but the Pembroke B&N is the busiest, most crowded and smallest one in the area. The girl that told me that worked at Old Navy but she has moved on so I don't know...

I did hear from another girl that I know that Target has plans to build three more stores in the area, one being in Pembroke. We will have to see...

Well I heard from someone (here we go, right?) a while ago that B&N was supposed to relocate in the TC and that Old Navy would take up their store... Of course that could have been the plan before 9/11 but the Pembroke B&N is the busiest, most crowded and smallest one in the area.  The girl that told me that worked at Old Navy but she has moved on so I don't know...

I did hear from another girl that I know that Target has plans to build three more stores in the area, one being in Pembroke.  We will have to see...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also heard that about B&N moving but I don't know. It is the busiest around and I do hope they do get a larger store. Trying to find a seat in the cafe sometimes takes a while. I am just waiting to hear the Target announcement. That is great news for Pembroke.

TC needs a grocery store, just like Norfolk is building. In order to be a place to live, work, and play, there need a grocery store. Or is there already one in the area currently?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There used to be a Hannaford then they pulled out of HR and it was replaced by Kroger. That store closed a few years ago but the Kroger store never did a lot of business (at least from what I could tell). I heard once that Harris Teeter was looking at that location but now I am not so sure. There is a Food Lion in Aragona but we really could use a nicer store in the area.

I think that will come but I think they actually will have to have residents there first. It is going to happen probably after the cosmo fills up and the Westin is almost complete. It will probably be the exact same grocery store that Norfolk will have. It will have to be a high end store

TC needs a grocery store, just like Norfolk is building. In order to be a place to live, work, and play, there need a grocery store. Or is there already one in the area currently?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't there already a kroger or farm fresh in the area?

There used to be a Hannaford then they pulled out of HR and it was replaced by Kroger. That store closed a few years ago but the Kroger store never did a lot of business (at least from what I could tell). I heard once that Harris Teeter was looking at that location but now I am not so sure. There is a Food Lion in Aragona but we really could use a nicer store in the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well i guess this answers my question. Maybe they should hold off on a grocery store until there is some build up in demand. As rus said, I'm sure once cosmo and Westin are populated people will be clamoring for a store they can walk to.

Isn't there already a kroger or farm fresh in the area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Kroger that was there is now closed. It was located behind Fuddruckers on the Boulevard, in front of the old HQ property which is to be redeveloped. The closest Farm Fresh is in Collins Square which is in front of the library. It is probably about a mile from Pembroke.

Well i guess this answers my question. Maybe they should hold off on a grocery store until there is some build up in demand. As rus said, I'm sure once cosmo and Westin are populated people will be clamoring for a store they can walk to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I agree about the population, available property is getting to be pretty scarce and they might have no where left to build one. :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hannaford's merged with food lion as part of massive Belgian company Delhaize's American Division. Kroger purchased the surplus stores left over after the Hannaford's closed so there wouldn't be inhouse competition.

By upscale grocery, what do you mean?

^ I would assume he means like a Harris Teeter or such. Maybe a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's but the latter two are not in our market at this time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think your area would kill for a Wegman's. We have them up here at school. Thank god the Wegman's and Ukrop's are friends or I may not have a summer/winter break job when I'm back in Richmond :D

I think your area would kill for a Wegman's. We have them up here at school. Thank god the Wegman's and Ukrop's are friends or I may not have a summer/winter break job when I'm back in Richmond :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I have been reading about these two supermarkets in Charlotte's forum. Food Lion is the leader here with about 40 something percent and Farm Fresh is a close 2nd, if I am not mistaken. I would welcome another supermarket though but they would have to find a niche for sure. VB is mostly a value conscientious crowd.

The Kroger that was there is now closed. It was located behind Fuddruckers on the Boulevard, in front of the old HQ property which is to be redeveloped. The closest Farm Fresh is in Collins Square which is in front of the library. It is probably about a mile from Pembroke.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And for about on esecond there was a "World Foods" or somesuch market where the PetSmart now sits.

As more residents move in, there will be a greater need. As it stands now, the area is too congested and surrounded by other grocers (There are two Food Lion and two Farm Fresh stores within a two mile radius that I can think of).

And just for the record, Hannaford did not close altogether. They are still viable in the NE. The reason they became Kroger is that the FTC mandated that the stores be sold in certain markets where Food Lion was very dominant. They would have never sold them to a competitor if they weren't forced.

And just for the record, Hannaford did not close altogether.  They are still viable in the NE.  The reason they became Kroger is that the FTC mandated that the stores be sold in certain markets where Food Lion was very dominant.  They would have never sold them to a competitor if they weren't forced.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, Food Lion is predominately in the south. I personally wish they would have closed the crappy food lions and opted for keeping open the larger cleaner friendlier Hannaford's down here. A brand new Hannaford's in Richmond had to be sold because there was a old slummy Food Lion across the street. It's now a pretty nice Kroger.

I really miss Hannaford. :( I used to shop there all the time since it was so close and it was such a nice clean store. Then Kroger came in and made some changes but I didn't really care for them too much. Anyway, maybe a new one will come along at some point. :unsure:

Archived