Retail/stores you would like to see in SE VA

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I did some looking and the H&M store in Lynnhaven will have some men's clothes... Sport clothes and underwear to be precise.  Anyway it is a start. 

I am just wondering when they will open and when Lynnhaven will announce something for the old Lord and Taylor space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Friday May 13th is opening day for h&m. never been to one myself but I am sure I will check it out. As for L&T store I haven't heard anything other than they will probably reduce the space for several stores to be built there.

Friday May 13th is opening day for h&m. never been to one myself but I am sure I will check it out. As for L&T store I haven't heard anything other than they will probably reduce the space for several stores to be built there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

H&M stores are pretty cool. The ones in europe are massive and pretty awesome. It's basically designer styles for cheaper. Most H&M stuff is pretty trendy yet inexpensive. I was disappointed that the one in Richmond only carries women's clothes. definitely check it out if they sell guys clothes though.

I really question if this area could support a Neiman Marcus or a Macys. I mean, it might especially if in a TC setting or such but I am not sure. I have heard the Nordstroms in Norfolk is not doing well but then again that is in Norfolk and most of the 'money' is in VB. :unsure: Personally, I would like to see a Banana Republic come to the TC but I am not sure if they would since one is already at Lynnhaven Mall. TC would be a good location for them though I would think.

I really question if this area could support a Neiman Marcus or a Macys. I mean, it might especially if in a TC setting or such but I am not sure. I have heard the Nordstroms in Norfolk is not doing well but then again that is in Norfolk and most of the 'money' is in VB.  :unsure: Personally, I would like to see a Banana Republic come to the TC but I am not sure if they would since one is already at Lynnhaven Mall. TC would be a good location for them though I would think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are alot of rich people in the city of Norfolk so that not the problem, its not having "higher paying jobs".

There are alot of rich people in the city of Norfolk so that not the problem, its not having "higher paying jobs".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do agree about the jobs but I think the area where the store is has a lot to do with it also. While I am sure Norfolk has some wealth, VB has over 100% more people than Norfolk and would give it a better chance at succeeding. I am not advocating not to build in Norfolk but again VB has a better chance of supporting such high end retail.

I have heard the Nordstroms in Norfolk is not doing well but then again that is in Norfolk and most of the 'money' is in VB.

I didn't think it was doing all that bad and if it is, I don't think it has to do with the store being in Norfolk. The mall itself averages 1 million shoppers per month, so one would imagine that a lot of the shoppers are coming from its next door neighbor, Virginia Beach. Ya know, where the "money" is. :D

I didn't think it was doing all that bad and if it is, I don't think it has to do with the store being in Norfolk. The mall itself averages 1 million shoppers per month, so one would imagine that a lot of the shoppers are coming from its next door neighbor, Virginia Beach. Ya know, where the "money" is. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow. A million people a month is a lot of folks!

I really question if this area could support a Neiman Marcus or a Macys. I mean, it might especially if in a TC setting or such but I am not sure. I have heard the Nordstroms in Norfolk is not doing well but then again that is in Norfolk and most of the 'money' is in VB.  :unsure: Personally, I would like to see a Banana Republic come to the TC but I am not sure if they would since one is already at Lynnhaven Mall. TC would be a good location for them though I would think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry but if there is a market for a 2 million dollar condo, there is a market for Neiman Marcus and Macys. I just can't believe that out of all these luxury homes and high rise condos you cant find a large enough market for high-end shopping.

I'm sorry but if there is a market for a 2 million dollar condo, there is a market for Neiman Marcus and Macys. I just can't believe that out of all these luxury homes and high rise condos you cant find a large enough market for high-end shopping.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to second that. There is alot of money here but where do they spend their money? Look at the homes that are here. Houses in Richmond don't even compare with the prices here. My inlaws live up there and they are always saying how high it is for houses here.

^ And real estate in our area will probably never return to where it was. The demand for our area is quite strong and land is scarce to build on. I expect one day for Suffolk to turn into another decent size suburb. It is already happening as we speak. Oh, and prices in Suffolk are about the same in VB. I never thought I would see the day. :o

I have heard the Nordstroms in Norfolk is not doing well but then again that is in Norfolk and most of the 'money' is in VB.  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well lots of $$ is pouring into Norfolk via Ocean View area as well as the already established areas of Ghent, Larchmont, etc.

The problem with the Norfolk Nordstrom (no "s" at the end BTW) is that it SUCKS big time. It is TINY and has NO selection. There are plenty of people who would shop it if there was more to choose from. I have heard plenty of people who still go up to NoVa to do their shopping at Nordsrtom because the selection here is terrible.

Once Macy's comes into our area full force, Nordstrom had better clean up its act. And because Norfolk built the store that it is in, I think that they have a 20-25 year lease. I don't think that they are going away anytime soon.

The problem with the Norfolk Nordstrom (no "s" at the end BTW) is that it SUCKS big time.  It is TINY and has NO selection.  There are plenty of people who would shop it if there was more to choose from.  I have heard plenty of people who still go up to NoVa to do their shopping at Nordsrtom because the selection here is terrible.

Once Macy's comes into our area full force, Nordstrom had better clean up its act.  And because Norfolk built the store that it is in, I think that they have a 20-25 year lease.  I don't think that they are going away anytime soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would people go to NoVa when there is a brand new large one in Richmond at Short Pump??? Best I can tell, it's about the same size as the one in Tyson's Corner. They could stop by Saks Fifth Avenue while they were at it over in StonyPoint Fashion Park. Speaking of Saks, maybe one could work in HR as well. Is there a Hecht's near TC? If so, I wouldn't plan on any new MAcy's being built there since they are converting the Hecht's.

Why would people go to NoVa when there is a brand new large one in Richmond at Short Pump??? Best I can tell, it's about the same size as the one in Tyson's Corner. They could stop by Saks Fifth Avenue while they were at it over in StonyPoint Fashion Park. Speaking of Saks, maybe one could work in HR as well. Is there a Hecht's near TC? If so, I wouldn't plan on any new MAcy's being built there since they are converting the Hecht's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes you're right about that... There was a Hecht's across from the TC but now it is Kohl's, yipee. Or maybe it is the Freight Liquidators.

When all local Hecht's convert to Macy's, I don't see that opening any new spaces for Saks because there is no overlap. Expect for the Lord & Taylor at Lynnhaven which is now empty. Maybe it could work there?

Why would people go to NoVa when there is a brand new large one in Richmond at Short Pump???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know I was thinking this one over but Richmond does not have Bloomingdale's, Trader Joe's, IKEA, a good H&M, etc... That is one reason I byspass it on my way up to NoVa because it really doesn't have too much more than we do down here. I went to Short Pump once and then decided to just go to DC instead after about 15 mins of walking around there.

You know I was thinking this one over but Richmond does not have Bloomingdale's, Trader Joe's, IKEA, a good H&M, etc...  That is one reason I byspass it on my way up to NoVa because it really doesn't have too much more than we do down here.  I went to Short Pump once and then decided to just go to DC instead after about 15 mins of walking around there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully some day this area will be able to support those types of stores---mostly Bloomingdale's and IKEA (the two of the three I've been to lol). The H&M is on the way but we'll see how nice it is. Hopefully up to my par hahahaha. I think the region could definitely support a Bloomy's or IKEA... if there's any doubt to that there won't be further doubt in another 5-10 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to so inform you, but Norfolk's MacArthur Center's 3-level Nordstrom is 166,000 sq feet, the Tyson's Nordstrom is 220,000 sq feet, and the Richmond Nordstrom is only 135,000 sq feet. I could give you the background, but it would probably bore you. Also, I would take issue with the characterization that the Norfolk Nordtrom is not doing well. Sales have increased steadily in the 6 years since opening day. I think the "problem" (if there is one) has been with the merchandising--that is with the store's buyers finding which merchandise works in this market. Many of the affluent customers in HR are not pleased that some of the higher-end labels and couture are either in short supply or non-existent here. Some of them have abandoned the store, this is true. However, our Nordstrom's St. John department sales (knits for women in the 1-5K range) has ranked second only to Tysons for several years. Lastly, the Nordstrom Cafe here is jammed with dining patrons from 11 am to closing, every day. By the way, the state's Flagship Dillards is right here in Norfolk at MacArthur Center-- a full 3-levels comprising 260,000 sq feet! Saks in HR you say? Richmond received a second tier Saks (no offense), as did Birmingham at The Summit. For HR, you might have to think more along the lines of Parisian. Same "family," different emphasis. Fantastic store, really. Yes, there is a Hecht's within 7 miles or so of Town Center--at Lynnhaven Mall. Lynnhaven houses the area's Flagship Hecht's at 210,000 sq feet and with very strong sales on a per sq ft basis. Accordingly, I agree there will be no Macy's at TC. Whatever the TC anchor, it will have to be upscale and new to the area. The only problem is that most department stores prefer to enter a new market with greater penetration than the 1 anchor location at TC would allow. HR has no remaining anchor space at other existing malls...uh...that is except for that grassy corner lot at MacArthur Center. Hmm.... :D

Archived