Retail/stores you would like to see in SE VA

What do you mean by second tier Saks? Perhaps because Richmond is a second tier market? :silly: Maybe we can do better at the new lifestyle center planned at Watkins Centre. Short Pump came in at about 1.2 million sf. I think the Watkins plan calls for a 1.6+ million sf center. It's supposed to be the largest shopping development in the Richmond region. Richmond has the most square-footage of retail per capita than any other metro area in the entire country. HR has about 500,000 more people than the Richmond region. Larger square footage makes sense for a larger population to serve.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean by second tier Saks? Perhaps because Richmond is a second tier market? :silly: Maybe we can do better at the new lifestyle center planned at Watkins Centre. Short Pump came in at about 1.2 million sf. I think the Watkins plan calls for a 1.6+ million sf center. It's supposed to be the largest shopping development in the Richmond region. Richmond has the most square-footage of retail per capita than any other metro area in the entire country. HR has about 500,000 more people than the Richmond region. Larger square footage makes sense for a larger population to serve.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really wish retail and other development activity in Richmond were focused more on the center of the area.

What about the Lord and Taylor Building at Lynnhaven?  That is an anchor store and it's empty... Do you know something we don't about its fate? <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last I heard they would probably makes smaller stores out of it but I would think that could be subject to change.

Last I heard they would probably makes smaller stores out of it but I would think that could be subject to change.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I went there for the closing sale one cashier told me that the mall had purchased the building and would probably tear it down and build more parking, a scenario I find very unlikely.

When I went there for the closing sale one cashier told me that the mall had purchased the building and would probably tear it down and build more parking, a scenario I find very unlikely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I doubt that too. The parking deck is relatively new although at times it too is packed. They could almost use another one in back. By the way, during lunch time I went to the mall and found H&M is open. I had never been in one so I breezed in for a minute. As expected the place was packed with people. I was impressed with the prices of clothing although I am unfamiliar with the quality of their clothing.

Yeah, I doubt that too. The parking deck is relatively new although at times it too is packed. They could almost use another one in back. By the way, during lunch time I went to the mall and found H&M is open. I had never been in one so I breezed in for a minute. As expected the place was packed with people. I was impressed with the prices of clothing although I am unfamiliar with the quality of their clothing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

H+M has nice clothes with good quality. Similar in quality to an Abercrombie or Express at more reasonable prices. I'm glad we managed to get one although I wish it was closer. :angry: lol.

My source tells me that the L&T store at Lynnhaven has been bought by the mall's owners, General Growth. GG plans to redevelop the site. Whether they subdivide the existing property or tear down and build anew I do not know. What I do suspect is that the parking deck rumor is an unlikely outcome. The L&T site has the best visibility of all of the anchors at Lynnhaven. My source surmises that GG will try to lure Crate and Barrel to this parcel and maybe even another smaller lifestyle/specialty anchor and a themed restaurant. It is safe to say that GG will continue to seek new-to-the-market, trendy/"upscale" tenants for Lynnhaven; however, I believe that they will refrain from adding another large (130,000+ sq ft) retail (apparel) anchor in the traditional sense.

the L&T site will probably become an outdoor village

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps, but the footprint would be limited by the mall to one side and by the existing parking to the other. I sure hope they take the time and invest the funds necessary to create an exciting, quality project. By the way, congrats on Triangle Town Center's Saks and SouthPark's Neiman Marcus (coming soon). WOW!

New York investor buys six local shopping centers

A New York real estate investment trust that specializes in shopping centers has agreed to buy six retail properties in Hampton Roads that have Farm Fresh supermarkets.

Cedar Shopping Centers Inc. of Port Washington, N.Y., said it has agreed to pay $95 million for the six properties in Hampton Roads plus two others in Pennsylvania. The properties with Farm Fresh stores are in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Smithfield and Hampton.

My source tells me that the L&T store at Lynnhaven has been bought by the mall's owners, General Growth. GG plans to redevelop the site. Whether they subdivide the existing property or tear down and build anew I do not know. What I do suspect is that the parking deck rumor is an unlikely outcome. The L&T site has the best visibility of all of the anchors at Lynnhaven.  My source surmises that GG will try to lure Crate and Barrel to this parcel and maybe even another smaller lifestyle/specialty anchor and a themed restaurant.  It is safe to say that GG will continue to seek new-to-the-market, trendy/"upscale" tenants for Lynnhaven; however, I believe that they will refrain from adding another large (130,000+ sq ft) retail (apparel) anchor in the traditional sense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great news though I was hoping TC would gain a Crate and Barrel. It would seem to be a good fit for their kind of stores but I won't complain if LM snags it first. ;) .

I'm not sure if H&M would put two stores in the same market of our size....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's been rumored that they were looking into a location in MacArthur for a while, but I tend to agree... That's just a little too close. I could see them putting one up here on the peninsula (maybe Patrick Henry Marketplace or the City Center at Oyster Point) but Idk about MacArthur... It seems like they would overlap... I wouldn't be upset though by any means lol! It's still 20 minutes closer to me than Lynnhaven! :)

I haven't been to the Mac in a while. I was disappointed when I heard they closed the Bose store. That was a pretty cool store.  :(  Even if the home theater might cost upwards of $5k.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I loved Bose :angry:

it was nice but they are overrated. You could build something alot better for the same money for that name!!!!!! But it will be missed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of nice but overrated...

It would be cool if Mac announced an Apple and Swatch store. I like the Swatch store in Union Station and the Apple stores are always cool.

Speaking of overlap... California Pizza Kitchen is going in where Castaldi's was?  I wonder what else is in the works for MacArthur now?  Good to hear it's almost full, let's hope it's not with more Dollar Stores and Mr. Convinients...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, there's nothing wrong with CPK! Actually, it's a testament to the strength of this market that CPK is willing to build another store in such close proximity. A few years ago, not many development wonks thought we'd land one CPK much less two. Actually, many posters on the old Pilotonline.com Business and Development thread ('97-'99) begged Taubman for a CPK at MacArthur. Little did we know that Town Center would end up paving the way 6-7 years later! Frankly, I would have rather seen something new to the market, but it's sure better than an empty storefront. Let's hope that these impending additional announcements create some much-needed hype for MacArthur Center.

Archived