Retail/stores you would like to see in SE VA

Right, I too am glad another high end restaurant is coming. I do remember however when they announced the Dollar Tree was going into Mac. I was literally LOL. I wouldn't think you would find one of those in a mall in Tysons! :lol:

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, I too am glad another high end restaurant is coming. I do remember however when they announced the Dollar Tree was going into Mac. I was literally LOL. I wouldn't think you would find one of those in a mall in Tysons!  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is it with these freaking dollar stores :angry: . If i were a planning director i would be embarrassed to annouce the coming of a dollar store as the center piece of my news conference. And now they're trying to get a toe hold at TC? Am i the only one tired of having cheap, crappy products shoved down my throat?

This is even worse - Dollar General (for TC that is, well across the street to be fair). Dude, they are the epitome of cheap.  :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fret you not, for the "General" shall never breach the walls of Town Center! As for the Dollar Store in MacArthur Center, I agree--T-A-C-K-Y! If you'll remember, the Pilot sought to pour salt in Taubman's (and Norfolk's) wounds when in an article announcing the store's arrival, the reporter asked the Tyson's Corner Leasing Rep to comment on the $$ store's move to MacArthur. Her response was something like: "We'd never conceive of having anything remotely like that here." OUCH!

Hey, there's nothing wrong with CPK!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I think CPK is fine. I was just saying how everyone here wants to shoot down any potential second store idea in the area because of the "overlap". There is plenty of overlap in the market already, most malls are carbon copies of one another and that is a trend nation-wide from what I can see.

its only to be expected that a chain store which is headquartered here in hampton roads will try to get into every prime piece of property available locally. Mac is no different. By the way there is no reason why you can't have a store like that in mac. Heck, that was the only way my sisters (all six) were getting a gift from me at christmas. (as a child)

This weekend I went to Richmond to see the Apple store there (and to get a new iPod bc my old one is beat-down lol). I was very impressed! I was expecting something a lot less substantial (like their H&M).

I know that we are rumored to be getting one here in Lynnahven, does anyone know specfics on that? Most cities our general size seem to have just one store and they tend to be in the biggest malls, so the Mac is probably out of the question...

And btw why does Richmond have a Tower Records and some pretty cool smaller CD stores? We have Relative Theory, which is nice but still a work in progress, and the chains. Oh yeah and that very sketchy place in Ghent that I avoid because I don't like menacing or totally baked "sales clerks". TC needs a high end CD retailer like Virgin. That would be very nice.

This weekend I went to Richmond to see the Apple store there (and to get a new iPod bc my old one is beat-down lol).  I was very impressed!  I was expecting something a lot less substantial (like their H&M).

I know that we are rumored to be getting one here in Lynnahven, does anyone know specfics on that?  Most cities our general size seem to have just one store and they tend to be in the biggest malls, so the Mac is probably out of the question...

And btw why does Richmond have a Tower Records and some pretty cool smaller CD stores?  We have Relative Theory, which is nice but still a work in progress, and the chains.  Oh yeah and that very sketchy place in Ghent that I avoid because I don't like menacing or totally baked "sales clerks".  TC needs a high end CD retailer like Virgin.  That would be very nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You wouldn't be talking about skinnie's would you? LOL

And btw why does Richmond have a Tower Records and some pretty cool smaller CD stores?  We have Relative Theory, which is nice but still a work in progress, and the chains.  Oh yeah and that very sketchy place in Ghent that I avoid because I don't like menacing or totally baked "sales clerks".  TC needs a high end CD retailer like Virgin.  That would be very nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Town Center will be getting anything like a Virgin or Tower Records unless the Barnes and Noble/Planet Music complex is razed and built anew in Town Center proper. Apparently, the combination of the two (the B&N there is prohibited by contract from selling music) generates more revenue than almost all of the B&N stores (which sell music) in Manhatten. Also, Planet Music USED to be really cool back about 11-12 years ago. When I would bring my NOVA and Atlanta friends there, they would tell me that the store approached the best stores in their respective regions. Not so today.

I don't think Town Center will be getting anything like a Virgin or Tower Records unless the Barnes and Noble/Planet Music complex is razed and built anew in Town Center proper.  Apparently, the combination of the two (the B&N there is prohibited by contract from selling music) generates more revenue than almost all of the B&N stores (which sell music) in Manhatten. Also, Planet Music USED to be really cool back about 11-12 years ago.  When I would bring my NOVA and Atlanta friends there, they would tell me that the store approached the best stores in their respective regions. Not so today.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any idea of if B&N might move to the TC? :rolleyes:

A couple of years ago, I heard a rumor that B&N would build a 2 story book/music store in TC.  However, it would appear that this is not in the cards as of right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It might be going over there where the HQ building is going. Things have been very quiet lately and I think we will be in for some surprises coming up very soon.

It might be going over there where the HQ building is going. Things have been very quiet lately and I think we will be in for some surprises coming up very soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. Frankly, my preference would be for a 2 story Borders Music and Books in TC, but I'll take what I can get.

Something with some room, no doubt. The B&N in Pembroke is so crowded. A lot of times it is hard to find a seat. A 2 storey anything would be great!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope downtown Norfolk does something like that in the near future. I also hope they put on the first floor of Granby Tower. That would be awesome. Downtown Norfolk will be awesome if they really expand through downtown plaza!

Something with some room, no doubt. The B&N in Pembroke is so crowded. A lot of times it is hard to find a seat. A 2 storey anything would be great!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have u been to the B & N at Lynnhaven yet. It's really nice and it's right by my house, i don't even go to the Pembroke one anymore honestly.

^ Yes it is. I work right off International in front of the mall and I have been there a few times. It is quite nice. Wish that one was at Pembroke though lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That one in Pembroke has been there for a long time. Hard to compare something thats new to something old. When they built the one in Pembroke i don't think they where expecting any of this demand that they have now.

Are you kiddin'! Skinnie's rocked! :)  Seriously.  The owners/clerks were pretty "metal" \m/  But they had a lot of rare, hard to find cd's.  I got some great bootlegs and rare stuff there.  I was sad to see it go :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not closed! It just moved. I called the place and they are opened until 8PM tonight lol. They just relocated to Colonial Avenue off 21st (very near Pizza Hut). I am not that fond of the place myself, but I do like to promotoe local businesses. Go check it out...

True.  Frankly, my preference would be for a 2 story Borders Music and Books in TC, but I'll take what I can get.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well is Planet Music independant or are they owned by FYI? I noticed that they have the FYI music listening stations. I would take a day off of work to see that dump being torn down!

Borders would be a good addition to the Pembroke area as would a new B&N. Even if B&N can't migrate to the TC maybe they could move to the Pembroke Mall and build a store like they have in Lynnhaven Mall. Anything has to be better than that site they are on now. Was it the first B&N here or what?

Archived