Population ITP?

Hybrid0NE

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Clayton county's ITP population so small because the airport takes up most of the space in that area?

Probably so (I say that without knowing if it is true or not).

However, even without the airport, there's still not a lot of Clayton ITP because it's such a small county.

Well, I can't say it anymore since I work at Perimeter Center - but I used to tell my suburban co-workers with glee that the only time I went outside the Perimeter I was on a plane! :shades:

Pat yourself on the back buddy, you should be real proud of yourself.

I have nothing against the urban life, I just don't like it when we start getting on the anti-anything BUT urban bandwagon. Then again, this website IS called urbanplanet.org.

I guess I like sticking up for my suburban breathren. thumbsup.gif

Well, in all fairness this was usually only directed at the "Eeew - you live in town? It's so dangerous. My friends cousins next door neighbor almost got car-jacked 23 years ago at PHIPPS!!!! I'm proud to say I have'nt stepped foot inside that hellhole in 10 years " type of individual.

I actually used to work at Peachtree Center with a woman from Paulding County that was so terrified of being in the City (yes, capital C) she would not leave the building for anything during the day. There could be a free concert at Woodruff Park, a fashion show in the atrium at the mall, etc. We could never get her to leave the office. It was home to work, park in the underground garage, make no eye contact (God forbid) on the elevator, work, eat lunch at desk, return home from underground garage. She was totally terrified. She blamed it on the news and stories she had "heard" from friends! :rofl:

Anybody got any new 2005 stats for how many people live ITP?

I would think that it is a bit too early to have them accurately compiled. Weren't the Census Estimates from 2004 released in April or May of Last year? If so, you could probably expect them to be released then.

I would guess that, if the reports and articles we have read here are close to correct, we could expect about 450,000 in the city of Atlanta.

• 1 year later...

Since this thread has been bumped, I'll add my two cents.

Atlanta is low density compared to most cities on either coast and the Great Lakes/Midwestern States. Detroit and Atlanta have roughly the same land area, roughly 130 sq. miles. Detroit presently has a population above 900k compared to its 1950 census peak of 1.97 million, less than half its peak, yet still almost double Atlanta's which is approaching the 1970 peak of 497k.

However, downtown Atlanta is almost purely commercial uses, hotels, offices, retail, restaurants, GSU campus, sports arenas and virtually no residential. Its downtown is basically the old CBD expanded to swallow up old residential areas and high rises replaced buildings in which the shopkeeper lived above the store. The surrounding residential areas are actually the innerring suburbs from the turn of the century, and almost entirely freestanding single-family residences. Grant Park, West End, Ansley Park, Center Hill, Buckhead, Poncey-Highlands, Virginia Highlands, Druid Hills are actually subrurbs. Cabbagetown is a mill village. They are as dense as any such areas anywhere in the country. Affluent Buckhead, Brookhaven, North Druid Hill, Sandy Springs, and Dunwoody areas within the perimeter have large lots, reducing density.

Most retail in the Perimeter is suburban style malls, strips and big boxes. Ponce de Leon, Peachtree, Monroe Drive, Buford Highway all have suburban style commercial strips. Lenox/Phipps forms the retail hub of Buckhead. Scottdale in DeKalb and Decatur are relatively dense as well. The Hartsfield-Jackson and DeKalb Peachtree airports, GM's Doraville assembly and Ford's Hapeville plant, Ft McPherson, the old Lakewood GM plant, warehouses and factories in South DeKalb in the Bouldercrest area are non-residential areas with the Perimeter. The layout really follows that of most "New South" cities that arose after the Civil War. Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Raleigh, Charlotte, Memphis, Nashville, Dallas, Houston, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, St. Petersburg, and others actually have some similar development patterns.

It's safe to safe ITP is on its way to reaching the one million mark. Since Atlanta's last large annexation took place in 1953, only small tracts have been added and with the incorporation of Sandy Springs, a northern expansion is blocked with East Point, Hapeville, and College Park to the south basically locked Atlanta's northern and southern boundaries. Atlanta could annex into South Fulton by going southwest of the tri-cities or extend the Atlanta in DeKalb portion into a larger area of South DeKalb below Kirkwood and East Lake or into Northeastern DeKalb, all unlikely. Most other southern cities have been able to annex more liberally with South Carolina being the only nearby state with as annexation laws as restrictive as Georgia's.

Just wanted to point out... discussing the total population ITP, (not limited to but also) including the city of Atlanta, unincorporated areas (Vinings, Cumberland) and incorporated entities (Decatur, East Point, College Park). It was last estimated to be around 770,000, I assume with the new census it has pushed over 800k at this time. ;)

• 2 months later...

According to what I've read, it is a bit presumptuous to think that Atlanta's suburban population has a lower density than that of ITP. For instance, Cobb County's population density ranks second in the state, with DeKalb County claiming the first. Now that Gwinnett is approaching its eastern borders, it's probably safe to say that the 5 main metro counties all have similar population densities.

A good point was raised that Cobb is the second most dense county in the metro, and over 95% of its land area is outside the perimeter. Gwinnett has overtaken DeKalb as the second county in population and is entirely OTP. Clayton is one the metros smallest counties in land area and has one of the highest densities, the only large area left belown Jonesboro, and has an even smaller area ITP. As for Fulton, South Fulton is the only low density part of the county. North Fulton is rapidly filling in, Sandy Springs(majority north of the perimeter), Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek and Milton occupy the majority of the land area. Alpharetta, Johns Creek and Milton have a great deal of land that is low density, with Alpharetta and Johns Creek increasingly getting denser. Milton incoroporated with the principle of maintaining low density that is shared with the remaining of unincorporated North Fulton. Chattahoochee Hill Country used maintaining low density as a platforn for incorpation, along with a local voice and control of development. The perimeter became obselete as a boundary for urban growth by the early 70's.

Virtually all of the residential areas ITP are suburban in nature and share density with the 50-70's suburban growth that occurred in Cobb and Clayton OTP and the 70's to present suburban growth in Gwinnett and North Fulton. Small land areas of Georgia counties have resulted in several non-core counties having high average densities-Douglas, Fayette, Rockdale, Newton, Barrow, Spalding and Forsyth are among Georgia's most densely populated and Henry, Paulding, and Walton are well on their way to joing the density list. Cherokee, Bartow, Coweta and Carroll have relatively large land areas coupled with sizable and growing population. Beyond these counties come nine low density counties that could sustain a great deal of growth with becoming dense and large in population for several decades to come.

Also, the perimeter entered the city of Atlanta on the west side and stayed close in its pass across the Tri-cities, thus some of the core was always OTP. The metro grew to include areas that are were already developing around a strong county seat. Cartersville-Bartow, Griffin-Spalding, Carrollton-Carroll, Newnan-Coweta, Covington-Newton, etc. already had a strong employment base, population growth, and retail development when they were absorbed into the metro area during the 1970's and 80's. Only Haralson, Meriwether, Pike, Lamar, Butts, Pickens, Dawson, Heard, and Jasper counties are extensively rural and anyone who has ventured up 400 into Dawson and 575/515 into Pickens can see the suburbanization taken place there.

I don't see the fascination with density. Density in and of itself is a horrible way to try and extrapolate what the feel of an area may be. LA is the highest density city in the nation, but if you are looking for an urban environment, any pre WWII city will be a much better match. High density does not equal urban, that is why people like Randal O'Tool and Wendell Cox are technically right when they say that increased density will only cause more traffic congestion. Craming a lot of suburban style development into a small area and saying it is better then one acre min lot size is dubious at best. In order to really see the benefit of density it must also be urban in form.

Its about half of the population though. GA has roughly 8 million citizens- of which about 4 million (for the slower folks, that's half) live in the Atlanta metro.

How many of those 28 counties have any part of it within the perimeter? Fulton, Dekalb, parts of Cobb and Henry? Its mostly 2 counties that have that 787,000. I'd says that is a good number considering how spread out Atlanta is.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived