Where do you live?

atlrvr

What area of Charlotte do you currently live?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. What area of Charlotte do you currently live?

• Uptown/Southend
    • Established intown neighborhoods (Dilworth, Eastover, Elizabeth, Myers Park)
    • Revilatizing neighborhoods (Chantilly, NoDa, Plaza/Midwood, Wesley Heights)
    • Early genterifiaction neighborhoods (Belmont, Cherry, Wilmore)
    • Other established neighborhoods 50+ years (Sedgefield, Cotswold, Old Foscroft etc......)
    • Southpark
    • University Area
    • Suburbia within 485
    • Surronding towns in Meck or Charlotte outside of 485
    • Surrounding County
    • Outside Charlotte Metro but considering moving to Charlotte.
    • Outside Charlotte Metro and there is no way I'd ever move to Charlotte.

I'm curious as to where other forumers live, but more imporantly why they chose to live there. Please explain what factors most heavily influenced your decisions. Also, what is one thing that you like least about the area where you live.

Also, if anyone is looking to move in the forseeable future, what are the reasons driving the move?

If anyone voted for living outside the Charlotte Metro, please explain the appeal of moving here, or why you would never consider it.

I feel like the professor who just gave the essay-filled test that eveyone hates. :rolleyes:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I currently live uptown because it's a cool place to be, it's convenient to my work, and I got a good deal on my rent.

I will soon be moving because uptown is getting too expensive. I will most probably try and move to South Charlotte because overall, living is cheaper, get more for your money, and seems like there is better education, less crime, less poverty overall in the South.

I currently live uptown because it's a cool place to be, it's convenient to my work, and I got a good deal on my rent.

I will soon be moving because uptown is getting too expensive. I will most probably try and move to South Charlotte because overall, living is cheaper, get more for your money, and seems like there is better education, less crime, less poverty overall in the South.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you live uptown! i thought in that discussion it was the other way around... that you lived in south charlotte and were wanting to move uptown.

anyway.

i live in first ward because i wanted to take part in the revitalization of the neighborhood at a time when that was still a bit of a risk. I love living her now that the revitalization is further along, because it is still a mixed income neighborhood, but also attractive and still growing. i like being able to walk to nightlife, but wish my neighborhood was contigously connected to the cbd without the big dead lots.

When I'm not @ school in Atlanta, I live in Charlotte. Actually, I live outside the city limits almost right on the Mecklenburg-Cabarrus County Line (Harrisburg Rd.) My neighborhood is basically @ the mouth of the Harrisburg Road I-485 Exit. My subdivision is relatively new....most of the homes were built sometime b/t the late 80s-mid 90s. When my family and I moved there 2 1/2 years ago, 485 was still being built. Its complete now and the traffic is pretty heavy @ peak hours. There's alot of development going on in the area....although there are still quite a few open spaces of land.

I live at The Lake. (might have been a category) I moved here 10 years ago because I like the more relaxed atmosphere and the access to outdoor activities up here that are not present in Charlotte. Reminds me of growing up at the beach.

However during my time in Charlotte I have lived in 4th Ward, South End, North Tryon near Sugar Creek, Park Road near Selwyn, Behind Park Road Shopping center, off 51 behind Kroger Save On (Bilo Now), in Midwood off The Plaza, out near Eastland mall, and on Colony Rd near Southpark. So I have pretty much seen it all. :D

There might have been more places but I don't remember at the moment. lol

Not to start the "discussion" again, but I don't think I stated where I lived in the previouse topic. My whole point was that downtown is becoming a place that is almost untouchable for middle to lower income people, which is why I will be moving elsewhere despite my desire to stay uptown.

Since monsoon started it, I grew up off Carmel Road. My parents moved to Ballantyne when I went off to college (also bought a new big screen tv, dvd player, put in a pool, and got HBO which really pissed me off :P ). And now I currently live uptown and will probably migrate back down to South Charlotte

South Charlotte--->Ballantyne--->Uptown--->South Charlotte

When I lived in Charlotte, I rented a small place in Myers Park--a side street off of Selwyn Ave. I did some curiosity-driven apartment shopping in Uptown and South End, and I was floored by the awesome deals there. Before moving back to Raleigh, I entertained the idea of moving to a new apartment complex off of Reames Rd, very near North Lake Mall actually... but never got the chance.

Not to start the "discussion" again, but I don't think I stated where I lived in the previouse topic.  My whole point was that downtown is becoming a place that is almost untouchable for middle to lower income people, which is why I will be moving elsewhere despite my desire to stay uptown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm sure you didn't... i guess i just had the impression. at first, when i just saw you live uptown, i thought for a split second you had found one of the cheap places people were referring to :).

I live in an apartment near the intersection of Carmel and Quail Hollow road. Really only live here because my roomate lived in this area when we started living together. Its nice though, surrounded by high end communities and south park is just up the street...

Hopefully soon I'll have a house closer to uptown. I work and "play" in and around uptown so it would cut my commutes.

I live slightly north east of Monroe and I work in Concord, ~2 miles north of the Mecklenburg line. Quite honestly, I'd love to live downtown or at least along a transit corridor close to downtown but I'm a bit stuck where I am. I put up a typical suburbanite home in 2001 between my sister's and my parent's property. I do foresee me moving in the future, but I couldn't say when. A dilemma...I live in Monroe, work over 30 miles away in Concord, do all my shopping in south Charlotte and love downtown for it's liveliness. I rack up some miles on my car, LOL!

I live slightly north east of Monroe and I work in Concord, ~2 miles north of the Mecklenburg line.  Quite honestly, I'd love to live downtown or at least along a transit corridor close to downtown but I'm a bit stuck where I am.  I put up a typical suburbanite home in 2001 between my sister's and my parent's property.  I do foresee me moving in the future, but I couldn't say when.  A dilemma...I live in Monroe, work over 30 miles away in Concord, do all my shopping in south Charlotte and love downtown for it's liveliness.  I rack up some miles on my car, LOL!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jeez man, I couldn't do it. I hate driving. My ~20 mile trip to work from Cary to RTP (one way) bogs me down.

Someone I work with in RTP lives in Fayetteville. t's like 80 miles one way for him, and the travel conditions suck. He isn't alone, several people at my workplace commute from Fayetteville. I don't know how they stand it, it would drive me bonkers (moreso than I already am).

I live in Dilworth somewhat by chance. I was looking at Sedgefield and Cotswold, but ruled out Sedgefield because of the elementary school, and no one would accept my contingent offer on a house in Cotswold, and then fate intervened on a smaller house in Dilworth that was too good of a deal to pass up. I love the schools, I love how close it is to downtown, I love the architectual diversity of the houses, and I love the appreciation I'm seeing.

I don't like that I still have to drive to do my basic shopping, and it is still a bit more expensive than I'd care for (I can no longer afford to be an alcoholic)

After living close in, I can't imagine moving further out, especially as long as I continue to work downtown. I'd like to move downtown into a midrise or townhome, but I'll have to wait until the children are in high-school or can afford private school.

When my girlfriend and I were in Charlotte, we lived in the Regency apartments off of Sharon Amity in Cotswold. Before we moved back to Greensboro, we were seriously considering moving to the Highland Mill Apartments in NoDa because we talked the leasing agent there down to the price we were paying at the Regency, but then my girlfriend got a job in Burlington, so we moved back to Greensboro.

I enjoyed the location of the Regency though, it only took me 10 minutes to get to the Central campus at CPCC in rush hour, and we were pretty close to everything else in the city.

I live in Southend on Ideal way, a few houses behind the ugly 24 hours Mcdonalds that shines light into my bedroom window.  :(

But i have a little house with a nice yard, and only paid 75,000$ for it last year.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, you could walk to the Home Economist! In addition to what monsoon suggested, you could also plant some bamboo. It grows really quickly too.

I live in Fuquay Varina (Raleigh), I go to a Wake Tech Community college right now. I am thinking about transfering to either UNC Charlotte or NC State. My first choice is Charlotte of course. I am one year away from transfering. By that time the cranes should be very busy over the city...lol. I am a Tarheel fan but Chapel Hill is just to difficult to get in to, especially from a community college. It's been 4 years since I have been to downtown Charlotte(I bet its changed alot), and with all the cool projects announced I believe Charlotte will become a great city with in the next few years. I hope to be a part of it. Does Charlotte have any dorms downtown??

Archived