Where do you live?

atlrvr

What area of Charlotte do you currently live?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. What area of Charlotte do you currently live?

• Uptown/Southend
    • Established intown neighborhoods (Dilworth, Eastover, Elizabeth, Myers Park)
    • Revilatizing neighborhoods (Chantilly, NoDa, Plaza/Midwood, Wesley Heights)
    • Early genterifiaction neighborhoods (Belmont, Cherry, Wilmore)
    • Other established neighborhoods 50+ years (Sedgefield, Cotswold, Old Foscroft etc......)
    • Southpark
    • University Area
    • Suburbia within 485
    • Surronding towns in Meck or Charlotte outside of 485
    • Surrounding County
    • Outside Charlotte Metro but considering moving to Charlotte.
    • Outside Charlotte Metro and there is no way I'd ever move to Charlotte.

I have family in Optimist Park north of Uptown and I lived there before, I have always view it to be better off than Belmont, while Belmont has the worser image. Optimist Park is smaller than Belmont, it only encompass 14 or 15 city blocks from Belmont Ave to where Parkwood and Davidson intersect. Crime isn't bad as it used to be, and no it doesn't have shooting all the time like often the sterotype goes. But I'm glad it's changing though with the new development on 15th and 16th Streets. Unfortunely I'm in the University City area now.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunely I'm in the University City area now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's awful, isn't it? When I lived there I thought Charlotte sucked and I wanted to leave. I'm glad I gave another area a try instead of moving to another city. Unfortunately I still have to work in university. :(

How's that neighborhood?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's an older neighborhood. Quite a few retirees. I hadnt' considered it until my wife took me by there and I'm from Charlotte. A lot of JCSU's falculty used to live there back in the day. I think only a few live there now, but they still have the President's house there. For me it works because I get an established neighborhood close to downtown, that I can afford, and a little yard. :D

It's awful, isn't it? When I lived there I thought Charlotte sucked and I wanted to leave. I'm glad I gave another area a try instead of moving to another city. Unfortunately I still have to work in university. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here. I lived in Univ. for my first year in clt and HATED every waking second there. It was really boring, had crime issues and traffic sucked. I only moved there so I could be close to work (about two miles away). Moving Uptown completely changed my spirits, and it now takes me just as long to commute to work even though I'm 10 miles further away!

Quick question for you kind people....

What is Union County like? What are some pros and cons of living there?

Thanks in advance for your responses....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A hot mess, depends on what part of Union County. But overall Union County is sprawling from Charlotte. US 74 is the main road to Charlotte and it's always congested. The school situation is getting tough too, overcrowding, I believe the school board voted to build more schools though, but it won't be an immediate relief as the population keeps growing.

A hot mess, depends on what part of Union County.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

But seriously, it seems as though Union County is the least "centralized" of all of the counties surrounding Mecklenburg. Why is this? Cabarrus, Gaston, and York counties especially all seem to be so "established" in comparison to Union. I mean they are all dealing with their fair share of sprawl, but it seems to be somewhat contained.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have lived in the University Area for 6 years and I have to say that I'm glad to be moving to NoDa the second my condo is complete and I close on it! I cant wait!!! Hopefully, I'll close the end of July!! :blush:

I have lived in the University Area for 6 years and I have to say that I'm glad to be moving to NoDa the second my condo is complete and I close on it!  I cant wait!!! Hopefully, I'll close the end of July!!  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those condos look nice, they are going up quite well.

I live in the South Park area in a neat micro-infill development in Sharon Acres just behind Quail Hollow. It's like living in the woods, 15 min from downtown. The serenity is great, but convenience is even better. I would consider downtown...possibly the Vue in a heartbeat but I'm still tricking out my new house. Maybe I'll catch the second wave of towers to be announced downtown.

Those condos look nice, they are going up quite well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'm kind of annoyed at the builder, well the sales rep. I put my deposit down last September. At the time, the sales rep told me it would be ready in April of 2005... Oh look, its JULY... I still don

The main entrance is paved and there is a side walk on the left side of the entrance. The entrance you see that is not paved is the back of my building. There is retail on the ground floor of the buildings facing Davidson (2 buildings). :)

Just counting the days! :)

Same here.  I lived in Univ. for my first year in clt and HATED every waking second there.  It was really boring, had crime issues and traffic sucked.  I only moved there so I could be close to work (about two miles away).  Moving Uptown completely changed my spirits, and it now takes me just as long to commute to work even though I'm 10 miles further away!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, that's what I did, only I'm in Plaza Midwood now, but I'm close to uptown at least. Before I was driving about 2-3 miles down Harris blvd to work and now I drive 277 to 77 and I'm on 77 for 7 miles and it takes me the same amount of time. Now I'm always going against traffic and I can laugh at all the suckers driving (or sitting, really) on 77N as I take 77S home.

First time poster, getting more interested in this forum.

I live in Latta Pavillion. We moved down here from Raleigh and lived in Sterling Dilworth for about eight months. Uptown looked to have some nice residences, but nothing else. We couldn't find that much in the way of eateries or groceries (I know there's a HT in uptown, but I only managed to find it once). Here, at the corner of East and Kennilworth we have two grocery stores in easy walking distance, and a ton of restaurants (several open lateish).

I'm weird, though. I actually work up I-77 and have about a thirty minute comute. It's against traffic, though, and with all the benefits of the neighborhood, I cope.

First time poster, getting more interested in this forum.

I live in Latta Pavillion.  We moved down here from Raleigh and lived in Sterling Dilworth for about eight months.  Uptown looked to have some nice residences, but nothing else.  We couldn't find that much in the way of eateries or groceries (I know there's a HT in uptown, but I only managed to find it once).  Here, at the corner of East and Kennilworth we have two grocery stores in easy walking distance, and a ton of restaurants (several open lateish).

I'm weird, though.  I actually work up I-77 and have about a thirty minute comute.  It's against traffic, though, and with all the benefits of the neighborhood, I cope.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tend to agree that Latta Pavillion is one of the few buildings in the city where you can walk to EVERYTHING except a hardware store. I think the future we weill begin to see lots of these little urban clusters pop up throughout the city.

I tend to agree that Latta Pavillion is one of the few buildings in the city where you can walk to EVERYTHING except a hardware store.  I think the future we weill begin to see lots of these little urban clusters pop up throughout the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree atlrvr. I think this is a great thing. I love pedestrian oriented development. Anything that adds life to a city I am all for. :thumbsup:

A2

Wow, you could walk to the Home Economist! In addition to what monsoon suggested, you could also plant some bamboo. It grows really quickly too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh no! The reason it grows so quickly is because it is not native to the area. It's an invasive species that just absolutely takes over. Your neigbors will not be happy with you. Be wary of anything that is advertised as "grows extremely fast" as it is more than likely an invasive species and will wreak havoc on the environment. ::steps off soapbox::

While I'm here though...I live in the Country Club neighborhood right behind Plaza Midwood and very close to NoDa. We rented on the border of Plaza Midwood and Commonwealth Morningside neighborhoods prior to buying this house. Before that we lived in Southpark (in an apartment when we first moved here.) I love this part of Charlotte (east-side) because it is so diverse and vibrant with many creative people. I love being so close to downtown and the NoDa crawls and only a 20 minute drive to work. This house is just our starter home to hopefully build some equity in and make some money on as we do additional improvements to it. Sometimes I wish we bought in NoDa itself, but I know that was not the right thing for us at the time. Many of the homes there at that time needed much improvement and sweat, tears, etc. which we didn't have the time to do ourselves nor the money to hire someone else. An investor bought our home as a foreclosure and put a lot of money in it so that we were able to buy a home with new features (roof, windows, HVAC, etc) for a reasonable price. Now we just get to put finishes on it to make it more attractive whenever we move (to possibly another new city.)

Oh no! The reason it grows so quickly is because it is not native to the area. It's an invasive species that just absolutely takes over. Your neigbors will not be happy with you. Be wary of anything that is advertised as "grows extremely fast" as it is more than likely an invasive species and will wreak havoc on the environment. ::steps off soapbox::

While I'm here though...I live in the Country Club neighborhood right behind Plaza Midwood and very close to NoDa. We rented on the border of Plaza Midwood and Commonwealth Morningside neighborhoods prior to buying this house. Before that we lived in Southpark (in an apartment when we first moved here.) I love this part of Charlotte (east-side) because it is so diverse and vibrant with many creative people. I love being so close to downtown and the NoDa crawls and only a 20 minute drive to work. This house is just our starter home to hopefully build some equity in and make some money on as we do additional improvements to it. Sometimes I wish we bought in NoDa itself, but I know that was not the right thing for us at the time. Many of the homes there at that time needed much improvement and sweat, tears, etc. which we didn't have the time to do ourselves nor the money to hire someone else. An investor bought our home as a foreclosure and put a lot of money in it so that we were able to buy a home with new features (roof, windows, HVAC, etc) for a reasonable price. Now we just get to put finishes on it to make it more attractive whenever we move (to possibly another new city.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

COuntry Club is a good neighborhood. A lot of 50's style brick ranches. I've heard realtors say good things about it. Everyone can't aford Midwood, but you're still close to it.

I live in Gateway Village Uptown. I moved uptown because I'm used to cities and I love my apartment. I'm considering buying in Southend because of work, and I hate driving. So if all goes as planned I'll be a home owner by 22.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

right on man that is a good feeling. i was a home owner and had a wife and 2 kids at 21.

I am currently living in Las Vegas and if things go as planned I should have the transfer I requested within 2 years. I always told the wife that a move back to Carolina was my dream. I just hope house prices don't shatter that dream. A decent house here is averaged at 400,000$$$. My short list includes Greensboro, Charlotte and Raleigh. I want to live in city with a future good schools for my kids wealth of jobs and something to do for those kidless nights. Right now I am leaning toward Charlotte because of my beloved Panthers and soon beloved Bobcats. Plus I would love to take my son to a major sporting event on a regular basis. As for where I would like to live would be midtown. I enjoy sounds of the city but not so urban that my kids have to carry mace with them as they walk to school. Yes I want my kids to walk to school like they did in Japan. I think this is the best way to ensure lasting memories and start traditions. I chose an urban lifestyle over suburban any day.

I live in Collins Park, which is in between Scaleybark and Woodlawn Rd. I bought here in Dec. after moving around a ton in my first 8 yrs here. I really only lived in two neighborhoods, though: Southpark and Dilworth. I like it here...convenient and more affordable than areas closer into town. Also, my hope is to capitalize on the proximity to light rail.

It's been good to see the variety of neighborhoods represented on this forum.

Archived