Where do you live?

atlrvr

What area of Charlotte do you currently live?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. What area of Charlotte do you currently live?

• Uptown/Southend
    • Established intown neighborhoods (Dilworth, Eastover, Elizabeth, Myers Park)
    • Revilatizing neighborhoods (Chantilly, NoDa, Plaza/Midwood, Wesley Heights)
    • Early genterifiaction neighborhoods (Belmont, Cherry, Wilmore)
    • Other established neighborhoods 50+ years (Sedgefield, Cotswold, Old Foscroft etc......)
    • Southpark
    • University Area
    • Suburbia within 485
    • Surronding towns in Meck or Charlotte outside of 485
    • Surrounding County
    • Outside Charlotte Metro but considering moving to Charlotte.
    • Outside Charlotte Metro and there is no way I'd ever move to Charlotte.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Concord. But Im actually closer to Harrisburg so I frequent Harrisburg Town Center. The only reason Im in Cabarrus County at the moment is because I just moved back to the area and Im staying with family.

I lived in NoDa from 99-00. LOVED IT. The duplex I lived in at the time is being converted into a single-family home. Drove through the neighborhood last week. I think NoDa is one of the most special parts of Charlotte. The revitalization is superb.

When I move back to the city I will be back in NoDa or uptown. It really depends on if a trolley line is built between Uptown and Noda. If one is built that will seal the deal for Noda.

I live in Concord. But Im actually closer to Harrisburg so I frequent Harrisburg Town Center. The only reason Im in Cabarrus County at the moment is because I just moved back to the area and Im staying with family.

I lived in NoDa from 99-00. LOVED IT. The duplex I lived in at the time is being converted into a single-family home. Drove through the neighborhood last week. I think NoDa is one of the most special parts of Charlotte. The revitalization is superb.

When I move back to the city I will be back in NoDa or uptown. It really depends on if a trolley line is built between Uptown and Noda. If one is built that will seal the deal for Noda.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The light rail is supposed to be built to NoDa, but it isn't scheduled to be completed until like 2012, and of course nothing in set in stone at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Charleston right now, but I just signed a contract on a house in  a new development in SW Charlotte near Lake Wylie. It hasn't been built yet, but I will be relocating to Charlotte next year. I am looking forward to living/working in the Queen City.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would this, by any chance, be the Palisades development?

Would this, by any chance, be the Palisades development?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Correct! I really liked what I saw there -- it was partly an investment (get in early as possible before prices rise too high), but I also liked the vision/plan that is in place and regardless of whether it turns out to be a bad or good investment over the long term it should be a nice community to live in.

To be honest, I don't know too much about the Charlotte area. Can anyone give me the scoop on SW Charlotte? It seems to be a growing area with an influx of new stores (i.e. Target, Home Depot, Lowe's) and other developments; there seems to be a lot of land that can/will be developed.

If you have children/are a child they would probably go to Olympic High School. It's not a bad school, but it definitely isn't great. Parts of SW Charlotte are a little rough, but others are really nice and built up. The mall is really close to there (Carolina Place). It's really diverse racially, a lot of everybody. I know a website that shows crime and other statistics by area. If I can find it again I'll post it. As far as being run down or ugly/old buildings, none of that really applies. But that is just my opinion. It's nothing like South Charlotte, but nothing else in Charlotte really comes close to being like the South Side. I know this will sound obvious but it's a mixture of West Charlotte (run down) and South Charlotte (really nice) which makes SW (haha). Only a few parts of SW Charlotte are run down, but don't worry, I would rate it as one of the nicer parts in the area.

I would recommend South Charlotte or North Mecklenburg if your looking for a nice and safe place to live. North Charlotte isn't bad either but North Mecklenburg (Huntersville) is nicer. These areas are for the upper class. But as for middle class, North Charlotte, SW Charlotte, and SE Charlotte take the cake. Try to stay away from West/East Charlotte. They're getting worse by the day. NE Charlotte isn't hitting on much either. I live in East Charlotte and went into a little shopping center and there was a cop standing inside every shop! I hope this helps! :lol:

If you have children/are a child they would probably go to Olympic High School. It's not a bad school, but it definitely isn't great. Parts of SW Charlotte are a little rough, but others are really nice and built up. The mall is really close to there (Carolina Place). It's really diverse racially, a lot of everybody. I know a website that shows crime and other statistics by area. If I can find it again I'll post it. As far as being run down or ugly/old buildings, none of that really applies. But that is just my opinion. It's nothing like South Charlotte, but nothing else in Charlotte really comes close to being like the South Side. I know this will sound obvious but it's a mixture of West Charlotte (run down) and South Charlotte (really nice) which makes SW (haha). Only a few parts of SW Charlotte are run down, but don't worry, I would rate it as one of the nicer parts in the area.

I would recommend South Charlotte or North Mecklenburg if your looking for a nice and safe place to live. North Charlotte isn't bad either but North Mecklenburg (Huntersville) is nicer. These areas are for the upper class. But as for middle class, North Charlotte, SW Charlotte, and SE Charlotte take the cake. Try to stay away from West/East Charlotte. They're getting worse by the day. NE Charlotte isn't hitting on much either. I live in East Charlotte and went into a little shopping center and there was a cop standing inside every shop! I hope this helps!  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the insight -- much appreciated.

I would recommend South Charlotte or North Mecklenburg if your looking for a nice and safe place to live. North Charlotte isn't bad either but North Mecklenburg (Huntersville) is nicer. These areas are for the upper class. But as for middle class, North Charlotte, SW Charlotte, and SE Charlotte take the cake. Try to stay away from West/East Charlotte. They're getting worse by the day. NE Charlotte isn't hitting on much either. I live in East Charlotte and went into a little shopping center and there was a cop standing inside every shop! I hope this helps!  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree somewhat in that I think you can find good areas in all parts of town, including East & West. I think if you live on a major corridor, then those areas have to improve. Central,Davidson,Trade, Tryon. Those streets that feed into downtown will eventually have high density.

• 1 month later...

3 years ago we chose South Charlotte so our kids could be at South Meck. Now they're gone so we're moving to Uptown to eliminate the commute, to enjoy the urban culture, restaurants, funky shops and for the convenience/exercise of walking/biking places.

yeah my parents chose where we live in S Charlotte due to Providence High School.

Wellington- get ready, the southwest is gonna boom, especially with the new shopping center with Super Target and the new Berewick Community, which is supposed to be almost as big as Ballantyne.

• 1 month later...

Southpark.

I would rather be Uptown, but after having to sale my home in Lansdowne (off of Providence Rd) I had to find a place quick. I did not choose to sale, but rahter was forced to because of a marriage gone bad ! :(

I am right behind the mall now @ The Colony (on Colony and Sharon). The place has seemed to mushroom in just the last 12 months. I can not believe the traffic though. Some days it can take me 45 minutes to an hour to get home from my Uptown office. :w00t:

It is only 5-6 miles away. Fairview, Sharon, and Park have all become over loaded. I will hopefully move after my lease is up close into Center city. Preferably Royal Courts. That is where I would love to buy :)

A2

Southpark.

I would rather be Uptown, but after having to sale my home in Lansdowne (off of Providence Rd) I had to find a place quick. I did not choose to sale, but rahter was forced to because of a marriage gone bad ! :(

I am right behind the mall now @ The Colony (on Colony and Sharon). The place has seemed to mushroom in just the last 12 months. I can not believe the traffic though. Some days it can take me 45 minutes to an hour to get home from my Uptown office. :w00t:

It is only 5-6 miles away. Fairview, Sharon, and Park have all become over loaded. I will hopefully move after my lease is up close into Center city. Preferably Royal Courts. That is where I would love to buy :)

A2

a2, if you were to get in @ royal courts, would you walk, ride a bike, or bus it to work? just curious.

a2, if you were to get in @ royal courts, would you walk, ride a bike, or bus it to work? just curious.

MOre than likely I would walk. I am at 3 Wachovia, so it would not be that bad of a walk. It would not be too much to add a few more blocks to the trip. I might even walk up to where I could catch the Gold Rush if I were running terribly late or if the weather were less than perfect.

A2

• 9 months later...

I guess I live in SouthPark...according to this poll. I actually live closer to Tyvola/Tryon/Arrowood...I'm not the most directionally capable person on the planet.

I LOVE where I live! I am so close to everything with minimal traffic...well, except for the parking lot aka S. Tryon during "non rush" hours. I'm getting a little nervous though - I moved there for the cheap rent and close proximity to my office, but with Steele Creek moving further and further north...and the addition of The Sanctuary nearby - I'm worried my rent will go the way of the BiLo. :)

I was born in Sanford,NC and lived in Raleigh area. Then after school I moved to Texas. First in Mesqiute, a suburb of Dallas, then North Dallas. Then I moved to Uptown Dallas near Harry Hines Blvd. From Dallas I moved to Southwest Charlotte off south Tryon where I live now. :yahoo: I hope to move next year probably more near uptown Charlotte, or South End.

I'm currently living on Park in Dilworth. I love the area because I run 3-4 times a week, and Dilworth/Myers Park are perfect for that. I also enjoy a good beer every so ofter (well, more often than not) and there are plenty of cool rest. and bars nearby.

I work out on WT Harris near N. Lake Mall, and originally looked into moving out there so I'd be close to work. The lack of infustructer really turned me off to the area, so I decided to "commute" out here everyday. It's not that bad, I get to laugh at all the people stuck in traffic coming into town.

As of right now, I am living at Campus Edge right next to UNCC. I really like it because I am close enough to campus where I can still walk to class and not have to deal with commuter parking. After college, I could see myself living in South End right near a train station. But that depends on alot of things. :shades:

I live in Dilworth on Park near East Blvd. Its perfect for me because I moved from downtown Charleston where I walked for everything. This area is one the few that offers the same on a much smaller scale. I also run several times a week and its definitely a great neighborhood for that.

Archived