Where do you live?

atlrvr

What area of Charlotte do you currently live?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. What area of Charlotte do you currently live?

• Uptown/Southend
    • Established intown neighborhoods (Dilworth, Eastover, Elizabeth, Myers Park)
    • Revilatizing neighborhoods (Chantilly, NoDa, Plaza/Midwood, Wesley Heights)
    • Early genterifiaction neighborhoods (Belmont, Cherry, Wilmore)
    • Other established neighborhoods 50+ years (Sedgefield, Cotswold, Old Foscroft etc......)
    • Southpark
    • University Area
    • Suburbia within 485
    • Surronding towns in Meck or Charlotte outside of 485
    • Surrounding County
    • Outside Charlotte Metro but considering moving to Charlotte.
    • Outside Charlotte Metro and there is no way I'd ever move to Charlotte.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^well, moonshield, that location works with your avatar.

as for me, i reside in "midwood canyon"... i'm on a personal quest to brand or re-brand my area. i recently saw on a real estate site, 3 houses on my street for sale. their locations were midwood, lakeview, shamrock gardens. i don't think any of them fit... :)

Where is the canyon in east Charlotte? I thought Charlotte didn't have any interesting geological features.

:) ummm yeah... it's where country club heights meets mt. midwood. honestly it's a hypothetical canyon... i figure if south charlotte can have it's crofts and plantations... then why can't the hill in my backyard be deemed a canyon.

I live in Southpark in a neighborhood at Sharon View and Carmel. I mostly live there because one of my fraternity brothers and roommates bought a house there. If I get my own place, I'll probably move to the Selwyn area so I'm closer to uptown but I'll hopefully be able to find cheaper rent.

But anyway, our neighborhood is a nice area, lots of trees canopy and rabbits running around. Its also fairly close to the mall so there are a ton of restaurants in the area. There's a good sized Park and Ride stop right at our neighborhood entrance so I can sit on the bus and read a book instead of driving through traffic on my way to work.

:) ummm yeah... it's where country club heights meets mt. midwood. honestly it's a hypothetical canyon... i figure if south charlotte can have it's crofts and plantations... then why can't the hill in my backyard be deemed a canyon.

Ahh yes. I once lived on Dunlavin Way so I know exactly what you are talking about. :lol:

you, my friend, have lived all over this fair city... when did you live on dunlavin and how was the neighborhood back then?

I rented a house there from fall of 1985 to fall of 1986 at which time I moved to Derita. (haha) It was a pretty nice neighborhood in those days where most of it was still occupied by the original inhabitants who built those homes in the early 60s. In fact the house I rented, which was built in 1961, was owned by the same lady who built it in those days. It was her first house. The house at the corner of Dunlavin and Eastway was owned by a rather notorious member to the NC Legislature, whose last name was McDuffy.

This was in the period where East Charlotte was still mostly middle class so I would do most of my shopping in the area around Kilbourne and Central avenue. I used to know a number of people in Kilbourne apts. so I would routinely ride my bike from Dunalvin over to that area. What I liked about this area in those days is that it was convenient to almost everything. Even downtown was close as it is just a few minutes trip down Country Club -> Matheson -> Plaza -> Parkwood -> Davidson -> downtown. (Parkwood was aligned differently in those days). Of course Eastland was the big mall in those days, and it was pretty easy to get to.

There were some signs the area was headed towards a general decline. Several of the 70s era apartments on Eastway started to attract a bad element, and though I had a few friends that lived in that apt complex at the end of Dunlavin, I would get nervous about going over there. (mostly after I had moved from the area) Personally I think that Country Club Heights is a great neighborhood that is yet to be discovered and represents a good value in investment over purchasing something in more trendy places where the prices have already gone through the roofs. I would avoid any of the homes that are on the creek as they have mosture problems but beyond that most of those places are fairly well built.

Looking at that part of Central Ave. now makes me really sad as that's where I remember spending most of my childhood running errands. I used to get my hair cut at Central Barber and afterwards, my dad would always take me to the model/hobby shop across Rosehaven afterwards.

I think it is on the brink of a turn-around, but its going to take the streetcar to really get things going.

, my dad would always take me to the model/hobby shop across Rosehaven afterwards.

I LIVED for the model/hobby shop! Wasn't the stamp shop next to it? We lived on Wembly Drive, in Fountain Square (not sure what those nasty apartments are called now), in Country Club and on Eastway. I still like to go to the area, it isn't as bad to me as a lot of people think, but the Kilbourne Acres area and the neighborhoods around Eastland are pretty rough in my eyes.

Eastland was where our parents dropped us off since it was a nice neighborhood mall where they felt we were safe without much supervision...doubtful many parents do that now or at least they shouldn't.

Yeah....I think there was a stamp shop next door, that closed down first.....you're right about the "safe" mall.....my friends and I would go ice-skating, play at the arcade, watch a movie, and eat chik-fil-a all day. Oh well.

I live in the Morningside/Commonwealth neighborhood at the edge of Plaza Midwood. We are renting a house on Commonwealth Avenue and love it. 5 minute ride to Uptown, 5 minute walk to the Penguin :yahoo:

Used to live in the University Area at the Piedmont at Ivy Meadow apartments (formally the Lodge at Old Concord). If I could do it all over again, I would have never lived there and moved directly to Commonwealth after moving from Alabama.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont live in Charlotte but its not impossible if i ever relocated there in future (or even the near future, like a year if UNCC is a possibility!). The longest i stayed in the Queen City was 4-5 days near Cotswald and had a great time! Between meeting the locals, long time locals or people who just moved there, i got along with everyone and could see myself in the Queen City if life takes me there. If i had to choose a particular area to live in, id like to be near Cotswald again since i was very fond of that part of Charlotte, just not in apartment this time.

• 1 month later...

Not in Charlotte for the time being, but my home neighborhoods:

1 - NW, off Beatties Ford near Cindy Lane (1970s - the area was pretty quiet and rural then)

2 - E: Easthaven, on the NW corner of what is now the intersection of E Harris Blvd (formerly Idlewild North) & Idlewild Rd. That area has gone through some serios changes since the 1980s; it was very quiet; edge of town then...

Then I ran off to Boone & Chapel Hill. My mom lives at the edge of downtown Concord, which is a little sleepy but very attractive, and not without potential...

We're at Coffee Creek in South Charlotte off of 485, and we love it here. Its convenient to work, airport, Walmart, Lowes, Target, South Park, Carowinds and Carolina Place.

We moved here not only for convenience, but the management is lovely here and also a lot of our coworkers are here so in that case that a battery dies or a flat occurs, we can all rely on eachother for transportation to work.

Originally from Concord and its very similar living here as it is there, quiet, no problems, almost feel safe leaving the doors unlocked at night... but this is Charlotte still. I absolutely adore it here.

Plus I just love saying that I have an "ahem" theme park in my back yard.

CHris

Archived