Is it possible to buy for under $150?

Is it possible to buy in uptown charlotte or close to for under $150 (and still have a nice place that doesn't need fixing up)? My husband and I are looking to move to Charlotte if he can get a job as a graphic designer there, and we would rather buy than rent, but can't afford much more than $130... and we want to live relatively close to uptown...

are we just dreaming? or is it possible? and if so, what neighborhoods/condos/etc. should we look at?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible to buy in uptown charlotte or close to for under $150 (and still have a nice place that doesn't need fixing up)?  My husband and I are looking to move to Charlotte if he can get a job as a graphic designer there, and we would rather buy than rent, but can't afford much more than $130...  and we want to live relatively close to uptown...

are we just dreaming?  or is it possible?  and if so, what neighborhoods/condos/etc. should we look at?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To me, it seems your options would be a SMALL uptown condo (600-700 sf) or, if you're rather pioneering, perhaps a single family home in one of the areas just on the edge of revitalization -- such as Wesley Heights or parts of North Davidson.

Other than that, I thought one of the neatest moderate projects to come around lately is the Rennaisance condo/townhomes in NoDa. They seem to be modeled after some of the three story row houses in first ward, but are much cheaper. I think they start in the 90s. Uptown buildings to consider might be: Court6, 715 N. Church or 626 N. Graham. And, as discussed elsewhere, there are a few options in that range in SouthEnd along the light rail line. SouthEnd happens to be the home of a lot of design-related businesses too.

Where would you be moving from? Just curious.

Yeah, what Uptowngrrl just said....also, consider Morningside.....you can still get about a 1000 sq. ft. house for $140k in pretty good shape. The area is on the verge of some major investment and it is recovering quite nicely. Also, you can sometimes find a deal in Wesley Heights.....other than that you are going to be a pioneer when it comes to owning a single-family house close to town......there are still lots of options close to town to own a nice condo in that price range, and as Uptowngrrl mentioned, a few options in Uptown if you buy a pre-sell or are quick on the take to get a resale.

Also, you can sometimes find a deal in Wesley Heights.....other than that you are going to be a pioneer when it comes to owning a single-family house close to town

I took a drive through Wesley Heights today. Does look 10 times better then just 4 years ao... Does anyone know what the houses over there are going for? Also looks like there are some empty lots, im wondering if any are for sale.

What do you guys think will become of this neighborhood in 3 years? A couple homes look like they have already been renovated or are in the process. Still some "shady characters" around though.

I think Welsey Height's future is tied to the redevelopment of Morehead and Trade streets, more so Morehead. As more businesses move there and some more warehouse space gets converted the area will definetly pick up. Also there are sevearl condo and townhome projects planned for the area. One townhome project on Summit at the greenway which will be about 16 units, one going through a rezoning now up be Wesley Heights Dr that would be about 32 units, and a yet to be announced condo project on Summit by the Bojangles which is supposed to be really modern in architecture.

There were three lots for sale on Summit at $60k a piece and great skyline views, but I think they are all under contract.

The area will continue to appreciate, but until Trade and Morehead kick-in, the area will always be somewhat sketchy and difficult to attract families.......additionally it has the "west-side" curse.

I need to start looking at some of these. Im only 24 and dont plan on a family for a long while(knock on wood). So the area doesn't quite bother me as much. If you know of any web sites for the projects, let me know. Im terrible with the internet and dont know how you guys find all this great info...

OK, so you can get a 600 sq. foot for around 130-150, maybe. Or you can buy a house in the hood and hope it gets revitalized and that you don't get shot while you're waiting. Where do you think the best place to find a 3 BR 2 BA that doesn't fall into the hood classification for those that need a little more space for family or roommates?

Archived