Atlanta's Regional Rail and Transit Systems.

monsoon

^ Yep, a month ago I had to get to Buckhead - so that required a trip to the Arts Center station & transfering to a bus.

For years the 23 bus from downtown to Buckhead was a mainstay of the city, and it was packed just about all day long and into the evening. It ran on the old streetcar route, of course.

I can't remember when they cut the route in half. I guess the idea was that the train somehow supplanted the bus route, but they overlooked the fact that the train doesn't serve much of the Peachtree corridor.

Edited by Andrea

Gwinnett and Clayton have spots on the board because MARTA is a state authority, even if they don't receive state funds, and the state law that created the authority gave them spots on the board. I believe that Cobb had a spot too but that may have been removed when CCT was created. It has nothing to do with the closeness of rail lines. Personally, I think it they don't put in money, they shouldn't have a say in how things are run, especially since Gwinnett has shown they can not select representatives who don't use the position for personal gain. But I'm sure the Gwinnett County Commission (who gets to choose their representative) enjoys doing anything and everything they can to screw up things in Fulton and DeKalb since it gives them more power.

As a Dekalb County taxpayer, I firmly agree with this.

• 2 weeks later...

Peachtree streetcar could reach further north - ABC

Mayor Shirley Franklin's Peachtree Corridor Task Force on Tuesday recommended extending a streetcar line proposed for Atlanta's signature street half a mile north to the city's boundary with DeKalb County near Club Drive.

Several task force members also advocated running the Peachtree line another half-mile north through DeKalb to connect with the Brookhaven MARTA station, an idea previously proposed by state Rep. Mike Jacobs, a Democrat who represents the area.

In addition to the streetcar, the task force is also working on giving Peachtree a world-class streetscape, with tree-lined sidewalks and medians, traffic enhancements, bicycle lanes, pedestrian benches and new street lighting already under way in some sections.

It's nice to see them extending the Peachtree streetcar, but my guess is when they see the price tag, they're going to balk at it, even if it's not all proposed to be constructed at once.

What sort of a phasing plan is there for the Peachtree Streetcar?

Someone please correct me - but I came across a referendum this morning on tv that appeared to pass in Henry County to support funding a regional transit system.

Republicans in Henry County will also be asked two questions on the primary ballot. One will ask whether they support a referendum on whether public money should go toward regional rail transit, and the other asks whether they would support a retail sales tax to fund the local system, rather than a property tax.

http://www.henryherald.com/homepage/local_...eadpicturestory

Apparently Athens recently completed their Multimodal Transportation Center, which will eventually serve the Athens-Atlanta commuter rail line when it's built. For now the center only serves buses, and The rail platforms aren't built yet, but the pedestrian bridge that will be used to access the platform is in place. Sounds like Atlanta needs to play some catch-up!

Does anyone have more information about the Athens multimodal transportation center?

Apparently Athens recently completed their Multimodal Transportation Center, which will eventually serve the Athens-Atlanta commuter rail line when it's built. For now the center only serves buses, and The rail platforms aren't built yet, but the pedestrian bridge that will be used to access the platform is in place. Sounds like Atlanta needs to play some catch-up!

Does anyone have more information about the Athens multimodal transportation center?

Well I've been watching it under construction for awhile now. It's the hub for all of the city's buses, at least UGA bus line will connect to it, and connects to the Greenway, which runs along the North Oconee River. Eventually, a multi use Rail-to-trail project will connect as well. Intercity buses were supposed to but decided not to use the center as well. And if the GADOT ever pulls its head out of... well maybe there will be a a train to Atlanta.

It's in the middle of an area thats part of downtown's eastward expansion. Next door to it, a 9-story condo is under construction. Another nearby is supposed to get underway soon, as well as a 5 story mixed use thing on the lot across the street from it.

It's not Atlanta that needs to play catch-up... only the state can do this.

Edited by Martinman

Martinman is correct. The State has basically just dropped the ball re: the Multimodal station slated for the gulch. IF & WHEN they finally get off their ass and do the Lovejoy line, all that is planned is a "temporary" station with a couple of covered platforms.

I'm afraid not much, if any action will happen unless Mark Taylor wins in November.

The city of Atlanta & ARC have secured some funding or have local funds to pay for their share of the Multimodal station - the state has yet to pony up. The DOT will find every possible excuse not to pay for any non-car oriented transportation project, obviously the Lovejoy line as the best example.

Edited by teshadoh

• 2 weeks later...

I saw on Fox 5 news today that MARTA has finally turned a profit. $19 million IIRC. This is without state or federal (?) assistance. This is great great news. :yahoo:

The question is, what will and should MARTA do with that money. Any suggestions?

Let's hope this trend continues.

The question is, what will and should MARTA do with that money. Any suggestions?

Let's hope this trend continues.

I think they should bank it and hold it in reserves. There are always rainy days. What is good is that the cuts that have been made coupled with gas prices are due partly to this positive cash flow. $19 million is not a lot of money so I think it would behoove them to pay off some debts and hold the rest in reserves. That's just what I would suggest.

I think they should bank it and hold it in reserves. There are always rainy days. What is good is that the cuts that have been made coupled with gas prices are due partly to this positive cash flow. $19 million is not a lot of money so I think it would behoove them to pay off some debts and hold the rest in reserves. That's just what I would suggest.

Wonder what it costs MARTA to operate per day? I bet it's a lot!

Now the question begs to be asked - now that MARTA has tightened it's belt & now posts a slight profit, is this enough for Perdue? He has claimed the only reason the state won't provide additional funding is due to MARTA's inept management. Well... with reduced funding & service, MARTA has posted a profit - so what will the excuse be this time for not funding MARTA?

But I agree - MARTA will place the profits into their rainy day savings, the rainy day savings from the 80's is what saved MARTA through much of the past 10 years.

Edited by teshadoh

Just think how much further our regional transit system would be if Barnes was re-elected. I guess one could dream!!

just think how much further down the toilet Georgia would be if Barnes were still govenor. That's right, he was a terrible govenor!

Okay I am confused. Since I have no knowledge of Georgia politics prior to 2006, was Barnes pro-transit?

Barnes wasn't that vocally pro-transit, it's possible though that one of the commuter rail lines would have been running though. But on the down side, the Northern Arc would be under construction & would possibly be at this point in the middle of multi-million dollar litigation.

Barnes was very supportive of the multimodal transit hud for downtown. As a matter of fact he actually got roasted for using Ga 400 toll money for securing a block of land in what is now Atlantic Station for a future commuter train station. Barnes was a very forward thinker when it came to a regional and multi prong approach to congestion solutions. He also didn't have the mind set of it's Atlanta vs. Georgia mentality like Perdue does. All in all Perdue isn't a bad Governor I just hate his us against them mentality.

Edited by WSUSOM