Atlanta's Regional Rail and Transit Systems.

monsoon

It's not the public that needs to be educated, but out elected officials. According to this article, the public is already on board (figuratively if not literally). The Atlanta to Lovejoy line I can see being pushed back. It was a rail line in hope of development. This one already has the development and destinations in place. Heck, the traffic for UGA football games alone would almost be enough to make this line a success. If the good ol' boys from outside ATL screw this up I might just give up on this region and move to where the politicos have already removed their heads from their asses!!!

^ Unfortunately a big part of the problem is the metro population is 30 years ahead of what anyone expected. Metro leaders & especially the state have yet to take the responsibility of a 5+ million metro.

I know, but they know we have traffic. They know we already have enough highways, They know our highways already have 10 lanes or more. They know why MARTA is the way it is. Everything is right there in their faces. It seems like all the other metro areas in the US are getting things done about there transportation problems except ours. There has to be something fishy going on.

I hate to sound radical, but I just don't get it. It'll suck to see such a great city fall behind because of something so clear.

And wouldn't all thoses buses they are trying to get add to traffic problems? Especially around the Art Center. Are they even thinking about some of these ideas?

Edited by SAV

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the Japanese have it right when mixing transit with ecological concerns. Now if we can just figure out how to make the charging stations solar or wind powered, we'd be completely dependless on fossil fuels.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/07/kawasak...-powered-swimo/

Imagine the Beltline using a system like this...

That article misses the point that the energy to charge those things comes from one of several nuclear power farms which provides most of the electricity for Japan. But Japan, none the less, should be applauded for its use of mass transit and the way their cities have evolved around them instead of the automobile as in the USA.

• 3 weeks later...

24-Hour Rail Service?...

How long do you think it'll be before MARTA starts to offer round-the-clock service on it's rail (at least the North-South line)? I found it odd that it shuts down at 1am but reopens at 5am?...

It would be nice to have round the clock rail service, but would it be financially wise to do so? The city pretty much shuts down at night, and don't forget the bars have their curfew as well. It wouldn't leave many people to ride the train.

It would be nice to have round the clock rail service, but would it be financially wise to do so? The city pretty much shuts down at night, and don't forget the bars have their curfew as well. It wouldn't leave many people to ride the train.

the bars officially close at 3am... 4am at Underground... and are open until 4am in DeKalb...

I don't go out late much anymore either... but plenty people do--- Used to start the night at 11pm...

While the 2:30 drink and 3:00 closing thing has hurt City bars.. there

• 4 weeks later...

MARTA eyes 4 northside sites for station

By PAUL KAPLAN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/no.../1023marta.html

Published on: 10/23/06

MARTA has narrowed its choices for a new north Fulton rail station to four areas along Ga. 400: North Point Mall, Old Milton Parkway and Windward Parkway in Alpharetta and Holcomb Bridge Road in Roswell.

Transit agency officials announced the finalists at a public forum last week. MARTA called the meeting to discuss ways to develop the area in conjunction with rapid transit.

No matter which site the agency ultimately chooses, MARTA's transit plan for the north line would connect all four sites via rail, bus and possibly other means, said Johnny Dunning, MARTA's manager for regional planning and analysis.

The north line now ends at the North Springs station, off Ga. 400 north of Abernathy Road.

Consultant Ken Bleakley, who did the market analysis for MARTA, said the final choice for a rail station would be determined by three factors: the number of people and jobs in each area; the level of planned future development; and the availability of large land tracts for transit-oriented

Edited by Hybrid0NE

MARTA eyes 4 northside sites for station

By PAUL KAPLAN

Published on: 10/23/06

MARTA has narrowed its choices for a new north Fulton rail station to four areas along Ga. 400: North Point Mall, Old Milton Parkway and Windward Parkway in Alpharetta and Holcomb Bridge Road in Roswell.

Transit agency officials announced the finalists at a public forum last week. MARTA called the meeting to discuss ways to develop the area in conjunction with rapid transit.

No matter which site the agency ultimately chooses, MARTA's transit plan for the north line would connect all four sites via rail, bus and possibly other means, said Johnny Dunning, MARTA's manager for regional planning and analysis.

The north line now ends at the North Springs station, off Ga. 400 north of Abernathy Road.

Consultant Ken Bleakley, who did the market analysis for MARTA, said the final choice for a rail station would be determined by three factors: the number of people and jobs in each area; the level of planned future development; and the availability of large land tracts for transit-oriented

I saw that article and did not think much of it. Like I have said several times here....back in 1999-2000 MARTA had meetings about possible stations. The cost was $5 billion and would take until 2025. I said then "by that time we'd be retired and living in Boca." Reading the story, I see that they have narrowed it to on station. If that's the case then I sould say take it to Northpoint. Any other location is not close enough to people who would be able to "walk" to their end destination. While I would never attempt to walk the Northpoint area, I feel Windward is even worse. Come to think of it now, perhaps Roswell/Holcomb Bride would be a better choice. There were plans for the site next to GA400 having an "Atlantic Station" like development IIRC. That would be a nice tie in....although Northpoint or Windward would dramitically reduce time spent on GA400 coming out of eastern Cherokee, Forsyth and Dawson.

I really hope something can be done. I would love (as would many Miltonians....I meant north Fultonians) to see a station further north. It already takes an hour in the morning to get from GA20 to I-285 most days. I for one will NOT be holding my breathe though. I love living.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I was being delusional last night when I saw a MARTA bus on COBB Parkway heading towards Cumberland Mall, so I disregarded it (as sleepiness). So this morning I decided to check the MARTA website and I was shocked to see...

MARTA ROUTE 12 TO BEGIN SERVICE TO CUMBERLAND MALL, NOVEMBER 20TH

Beginning Monday, November 20th, MARTA

• 3 weeks later...

Athens-to-Atlanta rail lobbyists get on board idea behind Brain Train

By David Pendered

Published on: 12/11/06

Advocates of a proposed commuter rail line from Athens to downtown Atlanta have formed a political action committee to lobby Georgia lawmakers to support the project.

The group's first effort started Sunday and will conclude today in Athens. Members were to take lawmakers, who are in Athens for a training program in advance of the upcoming legislative session, to sites including the city's Multimodal Transportation Center. The center opened in August to provide a hub for the transit systems of Athens and the University of Georgia. It is designed to accommodate a potential regional bus system and the proposed commuter rail.

The proposed Athens-to-Atlanta rail line is called the Brain Train. Advocates envision it serving 12 rail stations that would provide access to nine state colleges and universities, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case you missed it, the AJC (01/02/07) ran an article about four new infill stations. They are just studying the possibilities of each so one, all or none may actually get built. But the stations are:

1. North line between Arts Center and Lindbergh ($175m-$300m to build)

2. East line between King and Inman

3. South line between Garnett and West End

4. West line between Ashby and WestLake

MARTA says that it needs $100 million per new mile to extend the rail lines. I don't think that includes the cost of actually building any new stations. Washington DC's system has a similar construction as MARTA and just added a new infill station for 120 million.

Thats good news for Atlanta, even if only one of them gets built. That allows for more infill TOD projects. I still hope that MARTA and the Atlanta region can find a way to create a more DC like transit system.

A more DC like transit system would require money from the state and other counties in the metro. Dekalb, Fulton and the City of Atl foots the bill for the system. MARTA is the only major transit system in the nation that doesn't get any funds from the state.

I wish MARTA could go further out into the suburbs, but I really don't think it'll happen because you have a bunch of rednecks and hillbillies running the state of Georgia and they don't want to see MARTA succeed. They're trying to set MARTA up for failure! They can fund for roads, but no money for public transit?!?!?!? I mean, what is going on with these people? Those are the same people that are scared of MARTA because it brings crime, minorities, and other undesirable elements. I don't like saying this, but I'm gonna say it anyway, stupidity and rascism still exists in metro Atlanta. It's sad that two proposals by MARTA were killed because of stupidity(the South Dekalb extending from Indian Creek and the Tucker-Emory line). Oh yeah, and about DC's Metro, MARTA will never be as big. Sorry about dissing MARTA like that! :angry::cry:

They can fund for roads, but no money for public transit?!?!?!? I mean, what is going on with these people? Those are the same people that are scared of MARTA because it brings crime, minorities, and other undesirable elements. I don't like saying this, but I'm gonna say it anyway, stupidity and rascism still exists in metro Atlanta.

Of course roads are also subsidized public transit

Edited by Andrea