Atlanta's Regional Rail and Transit Systems.

monsoon

Hmmmm....there was an article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle about the new head of GDOT.

I must say that I'm not overly optimistic.....she admittidly has over a 2 hour one-way daily commute in an SUV, was recommended by Sonny Perdue, and mentioned this about the northern arc and commuter rail. :sick:

Among the potential projects, Abraham said she found the idea of a new Northern Arc attractive as a private citizen, and as an engineer, she mulled over the challenges such a project would entail. But as incoming commissioner, she has yet to form an opinion.

In addition, although a number of GDOT board members have said they'd like to see the department pursue commuter rail, Abraham noted little money is available for transit.

Hmmmm....there was an article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle about the new head of GDOT.

I must say that I'm not overly optimistic.....she admittidly has over a 2 hour one-way daily commute in an SUV, was recommended by Sonny Perdue, and mentioned this about the northern arc and commuter rail. :sick:

She doesn't sound like someone who's really into urban transit -- Sharpsburg must be 45 miles from downtown.

On the other hand, 90% of Atlantans live in the suburbs and the vast majority work there, too, so maybe the DOT is wise to keep its focus on projects outside the city of Atlanta.

She doesn't sound like someone who's really into urban transit -- Sharpsburg must be 45 miles from downtown.

On the other hand, 90% of Atlantans live in the suburbs and the vast majority work there, too, so maybe the DOT is wise to keep its focus on projects outside the city of Atlanta.

I don't think transportation issues should be a city versus suburb discussion because the gridlock and bad air don't stop at any political boundaries. In fact we have suburban communities wanting transit now. Unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me if the powers that be in the state gov't think this way.

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...

The Transit Planning Board has completed its 2 year study and come up with a concept map. Basically, they looked at commuting patterns and assigned an appropriate level of transit, from heavy rail down to bus, to each corridor.

The concept is both to plan a more seamless transit network across metro counties and to build new projects serving a greater portion of metro Atlanta's fast-growing population than the limited rail and bus service currently provided by MARTA and the GRTA.

The plan would also incorporate both the Beltline and the Peachtree streetcar.

Transit map

AJC article -"Transit planning board seeks comment on rail, bus ideas"

My thoughts...

-A light rail line through the Emory/Clifton corridor from Lindbergh to Decatur is a no brainer and should be one of the first projects done.

-I know light rail will work but I still wish there could be a heavy rail line to the Cumberland area. That along with the extension to Alpharetta, would connect the lions share of the regions largest commercial centers and corporate jobs with heavy rail.

-The map is a good illustration of the suburb to suburb commuting in Atlanta.

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...

This was actually a study to determine where and what level of transit would be needed and how to integrate existing and future transit projects. This is the first comprehensive regional transit plan attempted by any government agency that I'm aware of so it is in fact something new.

As far as the plan being put on the shelf, there are a few positives in the favor of something happening in terms of expanding transit. One is that suburban communties now increasingly realize the need for alternatives to single occupant vehicles. The latest being the Gwinnett CID which is proposing a light rail line to the Doraville station.

Secondly, the regional sales tax to fund transportation projects seems to be gaining favor in the legislature over a statewide tax. A statewide tax under state control would most certainly be focused primarily on roads.

Another is that Sonny Per-don't and the current "leadership" in the legislature will not be in power forever.

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...

Peachtree Streetcar update

The cost of the first Phase is projected to be $190 million.

The current plan is for construction costs to come from a new tax district of the businesses and home-owners within a quarter-mile of the streetcar. As much as $47.5 million would come from the city.

Four public meetings are planned, starting Jan. 8, with a final proposal to be handed to the City Council by March.

Phase I -

image6343101jk8.jpg

Peachtree Streetcar update

The cost of the first Phase is projected to be $190 million.

The current plan is for construction costs to come from a new tax district of the businesses and home-owners within a quarter-mile of the streetcar. As much as $47.5 million would come from the city.

Four public meetings are planned, starting Jan. 8, with a final proposal to be handed to the City Council by March.

Phase I -

image6343101jk8.jpg

I love the idea of the streetcar. I think very few would not be in favor of this proposal. I do agree with Councilman Kwanza Hall...or something like that...it would be nice to have a line down Ponce. This is a corridor with one of the highest future residential and retail growth projections. It could stop at the Beltline.

I love the Auburn Avenue loop too. It'll be great to have rail transit options that spike off of Peachtree; I wish the city wasn't so linear sometimes in its emphasis on one street. A line down Ponce would make so many neighborhoods more accessible: Midtown, Va-Hi, Poncey-Highlands, L5P, etc...hopefully this will be the first phase of a much larger plan

Edited by eastatlanta119

I love the idea of the streetcar. I think very few would not be in favor of this proposal. I do agree with Councilman Kwanza Hall...or something like that...it would be nice to have a line down Ponce. This is a corridor with one of the highest future residential and retail growth projections. It could stop at the Beltline.

If it's going to stop at the Beltline/Ponce Park on the east, it'd be better (easier) to run it on North Avenue. North has plenty of extra capacity in the section from Peachtree to the Beltline and is nice and straight, plus you could continue an east-west loop all the way to GaTech/Coca-Cola to the west and have it be a bit more useful.

• 1 month later...

I stumbled across this today, and I haven't seen it mentioned here. This is the MARTA Proposed Rapid Transit corridors and routes. I notice that this along with the other plans mentioned before are all good signs that Atlanta is starting to embrace transit.

The key challenge will be getting the areas far outside of Fulton to embrace some density so that there are more concentrated travel patterns rather than the current state of things.

Looks like they're getting ready to do some big expansions to marta. I say, its about time. Marta is in desperate need of an overhaul. When I lived in Atlanta I remember hearing countless rumors that they were planning to expand this, rails to Athens that, and everything else you could immagine. Obviously none of that came to fruition. Now that I think about it, what are the chances that this expansion will actually happen? This looks like exactally what the doctor ordered. I was in Chicago a few months ago and used nothing but the train. Then I visited the ATL a few weeks later and nearly cried. ...Ok maybe not but still...

I stumbled across this today, and I haven't seen it mentioned here. This is the MARTA Proposed Rapid Transit corridors and routes. I notice that this along with the other plans mentioned before are all good signs that Atlanta is starting to embrace transit.

This map is nothing new. The North Rail expansion was talked about way back in 2000 and deemed infeasible because of the costs. The Clifton corridor study is still "open" but that too has been open for years. The only real recent progress has been MARTA's new push for BRT along Memorial Drive.

Thanks for providing the map spartan -as mentioned, the north line extension was first mentioned a few years after the north line was finished in the early / mid 90's, in fact MARTA began quietly purchasing property along GA 400 for future station sites. BUT - this extension was put on the back burner for a few years. What is different is MARTA no longer considers heavy rail expansion an obvious option.

The most significant points may be the transfer plans for the proposed new light rail / BRT lines that will connect to existing MARTA stations. Also, is MARTA now 'officially' indicating that the Proctor Creek line turn around at Inman Park station is a separate route line? MARTA in the past have never truly advertised that the train serving the Proctor Creek line continues to Inman Park (or sometimes MLK) & turns around. Just curious.

...and I hate being a stinker, but the use of the font style & centerline symbology looks EXACTLY like maps I produced for the City of Atlanta back in the day. Ok, no biggy but just saying.

Edited by teshadoh

Also, is MARTA now 'officially' indicating that the Proctor Creek line turn around at Inman Park station is a separate route line? MARTA in the past have never truly advertised that the train serving the Proctor Creek line continues to Inman Park (or sometimes MLK) & turns around. Just curious.

Yes, the new maps indicate that the line runs to the King memorial station and to the Candler Park during rush hour.

• 1 month later...

A Georgia Senate has passed a bill to let MARTA expand its "service districts" to suburban counties such as Gwinnett, Cobb and Clayton. MARTA service districts are contracts to serve only part of a county or city outside of Fulton and DeKalb counties with bus only service.

The idea is that Marta could reach a contracts with a suburban counties to extend rail or bus service to specific areas of the county without the need of a referendum or a countywide one cent sales tax, provided other revenue sources can be found. The bill still has to be voted on in the House.

Edited by Martinman

• 1 month later...

Maria Saporta's column reported that the business community is ticked off with the state legislature's failure to do something about Atlanta's transprotation issues.

Now the AJC reports that 58% of respondents in 11 metro counties favor a 1 cent sales tax to fund a specific list of transportation projects, including rail and bus service. The survey was conducted in March for the Transit Planning Board.

The survey comes less than a month after a narrow, last-minute vote in the General Assembly failed to pass (by three votes) legislation that would allow counties in Georgia to join together and tax themselves to fund transportation projects.

The transit board is holding public comment sessions on a wide-ranging plan that would roughly double the costs of transit in the region to $54 billion. The plan calls for expanding MARTA in three directions, lacing the region with bus lines and adding light rail networks that link spots within metro Atlanta and connect it to more distant places such as Athens and Gainesville.

Cobb County Chairman Sam Olens, who sits on the transit board, said greater leadership is needed from the Capitol. "I think that what we've had from the state is a vision that if we do nothing, people will continue coming with those high-paying jobs," he said. "We have more darn plans ... What we need is construction."

It seems everybody gets it but the yahoos running our state. :angry:

AJC article

Edited by Martinman

• 1 month later...

Gwinnett is set to have a non-binding referendum next month on having a 1 cent sales tax to fund a Marta extension into the county. Marta did a study for the Gwinnett Mall CID that concluded extending Marta 11 miles to Gwinnett Mall with four stops would cost $50 million per mile.

I'm not sure what a non-binding referendum with no specific proposals will accomplish but the results will certainly be interesting.

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...

:oGeorgia governor endorses commuter rail for Atlanta

In a news conference yesterday, Gov. Sonny Perdue threw his support behind a commuter rail line to Griffin but didn't give specifics such as how much money the state will committ to the project.

He also announced that he has identified $13 million from various funding sources that he plans to use to buy an additional 28 buses for the GRTA's Express bus system.

This is something and something is definately better than nothing, but I'm still a little suspicious that this is a token to quiet the "ITP tree-huggers" while the vast majority of his transportation plan will have the same old road/sprawl focus.

AJC article