Atlanta's Regional Rail and Transit Systems.

monsoon

Well of course they route a new transit line toward the activity centers but I don't agree that it is tourist oriented either. If it were, the route would orient towards the major hotels, have much shorter operating hours and have no fare. Most of the big hotels are 3-5 blocks from Centennial park and will be exactly the same distance from this line.

The DOT has scheduled meetings with five developers, three local and two based in Chicago, that are interested in partnering with the state on the downtown multimodal station and surrounding development. The meetings are in preparation for RFP's that will go out in December. The agency expects to award the contract on May 1.

Five developers to meet with GDOT about transit hub

• 4 months later...

The city has approved spending an additional $9 million from its car rental tax surplus to buy new streetcar vehicles as opposed to the refurbished ones planned for in the streetcar proposal. They also voted to connect the streetcar with the Beltline. Construction on the route will begin in the fall.

Atlanta City Council approves $9M for streetcar- AJC

The new cars will be similar to these used in San Diego. (two cars)

SD_Trolley_Green_Line.jpg

Edited by Martinman

GDOT has selected Cousins/Forest City/Integral as the private partner for developing the MMPT downtown.

Link here.

The Operational Requirements report is particularly interesting. Whereas previously published reports showed east-west oriented platforms very close to Five Points MARTA. However, the abandonment of the Decatur Belt for the Beltline has made that layout infeasible, and it has shifted to north-south platforms that are right next to the Georgia Dome MARTA station but connected by a roughly 2/10 mile walking concourse to Five Points. The exception is for the line to Madison/Augusta where they indicate an (optional) single platform oriented east/west and dedicated to serving that line.

• 3 months later...

A study envisions rail transit across top of Perimeter.

A transit study funded by the state (fancy that) and business organizations finds public support for transit. This is something I have known for years. I'm just glad that the state is finally waking up and participating in discussions regarding public transportation for the Atlanta region...a very vital part to the economy of Georgia. I look forward to this going beyond a study. With the formation of the new Atlanta Region Transportation District (or something like that), I am hopeful that many new state/private initiatives can take place to keep the metro area competitive.

What was of note from the article was the extension of the red line from the North Springs Station up to Holcomb Bridge Rd in Roswell. This is a much need extension. I wonder why it's cheaper to extend heavy rail (not that I'm complaining because HR has a much larger capacity than LR) up the corridor than adding LR. I was also interested in the LR extension from Cumberland over to Perimeter Center. More East/West connectivity is definitely need in the northern suburbs.

I'm super excited to read such articles. It's things like this that make Urbanplanet.org so important. We want to enhance the urban experience. With the 12 county region soon to vote on a region wide transit plan, if passed, could jumpstart something really special in the metro region.

To read the article for yourself, click here: Metro Transit

A study envisions rail transit across top of Perimeter.

A transit study funded by the state (fancy that) and business organizations finds public support for transit. This is something I have known for years. I'm just glad that the state is finally waking up and participating in discussions regarding public transportation for the Atlanta region...a very vital part to the economy of Georgia. I look forward to this going beyond a study. With the formation of the new Atlanta Region Transportation District (or something like that), I am hopeful that many new state/private initiatives can take place to keep the metro area competitive.

What was of note from the article was the extension of the red line from the North Springs Station up to Holcomb Bridge Rd in Roswell. This is a much need extension. I wonder why it's cheaper to extend heavy rail (not that I'm complaining because HR has a much larger capacity than LR) up the corridor than adding LR. I was also interested in the LR extension from Cumberland over to Perimeter Center. More East/West connectivity is definitely need in the northern suburbs.

I'm super excited to read such articles. It's things like this that make Urbanplanet.org so important. We want to enhance the urban experience. With the 12 county region soon to vote on a region wide transit plan, if passed, could jumpstart something really special in the metro region.

To read the article for yourself, click here: Metro Transit

I wonder why they won't consider a heavy rail segment into Cobb Co. via I-75 corridor... at least up through Cumberland/Vinings with a terminus at Smyrna. Same goes for Gwinnett Co. an extension of existing heavy rail through Norcross. Light rail may be cheaper, but it is much less effective and efficient. I honestly don't see myself riding a light rail line over driving, because in some cases it would take me longer to drive up to a light rail station, the light rail has to travel in and along already congested vehicular traffic corridors, (so you still face the same delays), and top speed is probably no more than 45-50 mph. So what is the advantage of light rail over a heavy rail aside from cost?

• 1 month later...

The roundtable to determine the project list to go before voters next year as released a final draft list. There could still be some minor changes. Here are the transit projects that got funding. If passed, this would be a huge step in the right direction but none of the transit expansion projects got the total amount projected to complete the various projects so other funds will still have to be found.

Arts Center to Cumberland LRT - $856 million vs projected $1.2 billion to complete

Clifton Corridor Marta expansion - $700 million of $1.1 billion

Beltline Transit - $600 million of $1.5 billion

Marta State of Good Repair - $600 million

Marta Indian Creek to Wesley Chapel - $225 million of $791 million

http://atlantaregionalroundtable.com/docs/Constrained_Draft_Final_List_08-15-11.pdf

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Atlanta Streetcar - Entire Loop 2.7 Miles - 7/30/2013: -LV9021EUO0

Centennial Olympic Park to Woodruff Park: -8K8Y7fWt1A

Woodruff Park to 75/85 Connector: A_vv1jNv6vQ

75/85 Connector to King Historic District: DWDdc4EL9Q8

King Historic District to 75/85: NPRp2cZAvGk

75/85 Connector to Woodruff Park: 4XUpWT6VA94

Woodruff Park to Centennial Olympic Park: wjNP1cO14fY

Have you ever wondered how two steel rails are connected? It's done by a process called "Thermite Welding." I caught the tail end of the process:
YwW-s_WA56w
TKjn7Sxwcuw
iFOmXa0u83w
ptEZOz_49_c

• 3 weeks later...

MARTA is eyeing major expansion up the GA 400 Corridor.

georgia%20ga%20400%20MARTA%20perimeter%2

Some brief specifics about the expansion:

1) The line would run for 11.9 miles in the right-of-way up GA 400 from the current end of the North Springs Station to Windward Pkwy in Alpharetta.

2) The extension could add up to 6 new stations.

3) The extension could be heavy and/or light rail or...BRT :sick: .  

MARTA plans to release cost estimates on the three alternative technologies within the next couple of weeks, in time for a Sept. 26 public meeting on the project. Estimates prepared in 2000 for extending MARTA rail service north from the Dunwoody station through Sandy Springs to North Springs came in at $283.6 million.

This new line would not be cheap but I feel it's very necessary. BRT is just not very appealing to me BUT if it comes down to the extension being feasible or not, then I can accept its ugliness for its utility. If we can find money for the new retractable roof stadium then I feel we should find it for a heavy rail extension. Go big or go home. There will be a public forum meeting on September 26th from 6:30-8:30pm at the Alpharetta City Hall located at 2 Main St. I'll be there.

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/08/29/marta-eyeing-major-expansion-up.html?page=2

• 4 months later...

These numbers are improving and are really good considering MARTA receives NO state funding.

U.S. Light and Heavy Rail Ridership, Q3 2013

As per APTA's latest ridership report for the third quarter of 2013: 

Average Weekday Ridership, All US Heavy Rail Agencies:

01. New York (MTA) - 8,298,000
02. Washington - 950,000 
03. Chicago - 736,700
04. Boston - 542,900
05. San Francisco - 401,800
06. Philadelphia - 302,800
07. Jersey City (PATH) - 250,700
08. Atlanta - 226,900
09. Los Angeles - 164,900
10. Miami - 69,600
11. Baltimore - 49,700
12. San Juan - 40,100
13. Lindenwold (PATCO) - 36,300
14. Staten Island Railway - 13,800

If the 12 mile extension is ever added up to Windward Parkway, I can see the number of ridership on MARTA improving at least 15 percent. The GA 400 Corridor is a job rich zone.

• 2 weeks later...

A new alliance targets metro Atlanta's transportation issues

I must admit...Debbie Dooley of the Georgia Tea Party Patriots takes on everybody...from going against the Braves move to Cobb County and now to trying to find solutions to metro Atlanta's transportation issues. Members of PolicyBest have teamed with the Tea Party Patriots to attack transportation problems. Well it's about time! 

Members of PolicyBEST vowed during a news conference Tuesday to push for legislation dedicating one-fourth of the state’s gasoline tax revenue to transportation needs. That money now goes into Georgia’s general fund budget.

I think that is a great solution. It can make transit/transportation solutions more localized so you won't have rural counties pitted against urban counties. I'm still hopeful for the day when Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, DeKalb and Clayton counties can all come together under one transit authority. With this unusual mixture of proponents, perhaps the Georgia Legislature will be more attentive. I still find it hard to believe that MARTA is the largest public transportation system in the US which does not receive ONE PENNY from the state of Georgia. Metro Atlanta needs a true regional system.  

Read the full article here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/capitol_vision/2014/01/new-alliance-targets-transportation.html

I would like to give kudos to Keith Parker, GM of MARTA, for his amazing leadership during last week's Snowpocalypse.

He made an executive decision to run the MARTA trains for 24 hours. This was extremely beneficial to the people who had the wherewithal to utilize the transit agency. I have read quite a few stories of where people left their cars parked in a MARTA station parking lot and were picked up much closer to their final destination. It is unfortunate that MARTA rail only covers two counties in Metro Atlanta. And there are many parts of those two counties not accessible by rail. Oy! 

Also of interest, Woodward Academy utilized the rail to funnel students who live on the northside of the metro. This allowed for safe travel for the students as well as them being much closer to their parents. This minimized the distance parents of those students had to drive in order to reach their children. Kudos to Woodward Academy administrators as well for such forward thinking.  

Hopefully now people can see the value of MARTA to the whole metro area. Perhaps the snow debacle of last week may light a fire to the discussion of regional cooperation in terms of mass transit. The fiefdoms of metro Atlanta must ban together so that another snowpocalypse does not occur on such a major level. MARTA's rail performed brilliantly and safely last week. Maybe now the country's 9th largest metro area will have a transit system befitting of its size and importance. It is sad that MARTA is the largest transit agency in North America that does not receive a dime from the state of Georgia. Clearly it can be a valuable asset to the metro area as a whole.

Again, kudos to Mr. Keith Parker. You are a true treasure to MARTA.        

Edited by Lady Celeste

In more transit news........

MARTA proposes enhancements to the Midtown MARTA Station

11x17_midtown-station-small.jpg

Midtown Alliance on Tuesday released renderings of proposed enhancements to MARTA’s Midtown stations.

Six months went into planning and a team led by Smith Dalia Architects came up with concepts for North Avenue, Midtown and Arts Center stations. 

Midtown Alliance wants the stations to become destinations for MARTA riders, area residents and area workers. Enhancements include pop-up cafés, bicycle service facilities, transit towers and public artwork.

This will be a definite improvement. This will brighten the area and make the station more appealing. I also like the inclusion of food trucks. MARTA is definitely improving in the right direction.  

MARTA's GM says: rail system would be ideal double its current size. 

I say let us go for the manner of Atlanta of old and say it would be ideal triple its current size. Seriously, I totally agree with Keith Parker...GM of MARTA. It is past time to expand the rail lines further out. If the current 48 miles of rail carry 227,000 a day, imagine what 100 miles of rail could do. Hopefully Mr. Parker can convince neighboring counties to tie in to the system. I would imagine Gwinnett County wanting to join the system since it seems like several major employers are eyeing relocation spots in neighboring Fulton County...in locations with access to MARTA.  

Parker said MARTA already has planned out its next expansion routes — going north along Georgia 400 towards Alpharetta, going along the I-20 east corridor and building a rail line to serve the Clifton Road corridor.

“My pledge to you, we will work the investment and make you feel proud of your transit system,” Parker said. “With funding, we are ready to jump right on it.”

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2014/02/10/keith-parker-martas-rail-system.html

• 1 month later...

HB 1009 to allow Clayton County residents to vote on joining MARTA

This is something that should have happened years ago but it is better late than never. This year's General Assembly voted with only two dissenting votes on HB 1009. The legislature was sent to the governor's desk where it is sure to be signed. 

HB 1009 allows Clayton County, which four years ago lost its bus service (C-Tran) because of cost, to hold a referendum in November on whether to join MARTA by levying a 1-cent sales tax. Currently the city of Atlanta, DeKalb and Fulton are the only local governments that fund MARTA with a penny sales tax.

The referendum appears to have a good chance of passage – 67 percent of Clayton voters approved of joining MARTA in a nonbinding referendum in 2010.

Clayton Clayton is probably the densest county in the metro area. Adding MARTA service to Clayton could potentially be an economic boom for the county.   

Source: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/clayton-residents-will-be-able-to-vote-on-marta/nfHjz/

MARTA has been really slow to get into the TOD game but happily since the new CEO has taken the reigns, all of this has changed. 

Mixed Use Development Planned at Avondale MARTA Station

MARTA has been very bullish of late with development at or near various MARTA stations. The system has identified several stations that are prime for TOD. Much like I see when I'm in DC. MARTA and the city of Decatur are teaming up to develop land near the Avondale Station. 

The development will be located just south of the station on East Ponce de Leon Avenue. Initial plans call for more than 600 apartments, some 70 condominium units and 25,000 square feet of retail space. 20% of the apartments will be used for affordable housing.

Plans are in the early stages but John Crocker, MARTA's Director of Development, say that the development could open as soon as the end of 2015. Finally, finally, finally!!! This is how you increase ridership on the system. MARTA has several stations that are just oozing "gold mine" vibes. If you can't get MARTA to where many of people are, move many of the people to where MARTA is currently located. Look for more announcements like this one and the one at Kings/Memorial Station to follow.

Read more here: http://wabe.org/post/mixed-use-development-planned-avondale-marta-station    

• 1 month later...

Moody's upgrades MARTA bonds rating.

marta-trains*304xx874-1312-97-0.jpg

It seems that the right sizing of MARTA is in full effect. Last month there was word that frequency of the trains would be increased. Last week there was word that the length of the trains on the Yellow Line (Doraville to Airport) and Red Line (North Springs to Airport) would be extended. Now we are receiving word that the bonds for the system are being upgraded. This is great news. MARTA is an underestimated feather in Atlanta's hat. A healthy and efficient transit system that includes rail is very necessary for a growing metropolis. Just this week, Atlanta was named to the top five convention cities. One of the reasons given was MARTA and the ability to access Downtown and the Georgia Convention Center from the Airport via MARTA. 

More work is needed but it seems that the system is headed in the right direction. Let the expansion begin! Kudos to MARTA CEO Keith Parker.

Read about it here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/capitol_vision/2014/05/moodys-upgrades-marta-bonds.html

• 4 months later...

Feds and MARTA team up to launch study of light rail line through the Clifton Corridor

CDC.jpg

The CDC, Emory University and Hospital along Clifton Road.

According to Atlanta Business Chronicle,The Federal Transit Administration and MARTA are moving forward with a study of a possible new light rail transit line that would run through the Clifton Corridor.The proposed 8.8 mile line would extend from the Lindbergh MARTA station through the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) headquarters and Emory University and Emory Hospital campuses to the Avondale MARTA station.

The Clifton Corridor, which runs along Clifton Road past the CDC and Emory, is a growing employment center that's not served by either direct Interstate access or high-capacity transit.

The Atlanta Business Chronicle reported last January that the CDC is considering an expansion over 10 years at its campus near Emory University that could lead to a 30 percent increase in workers and the construction of a big new laboratory and parking deck. At a public hearing on March 20, area residents expressed concerns that such an influx of new commuters would be too much for the already congested corridor.

The route options are:

Build Alternative 1: A new LRT line with segments that are at-grade, in tunnels, and on aerial structures. It would begin at the Lindbergh MARTA station and parallel the existing MARTA heavy rail transit line to the CSX railroad corridor, then continue eastward adjacent to the CSX railroad right-of-way, then along Clifton Road, adjacent to and under the CSX railroad corridor and Clairmont Road. The alignment would then proceed along Scott Boulevard, North Decatur Road, DeKalb Industrial Way, and North Arcadia Avenue to Avondale MARTA station.
Build Alternative 2: A new LRT line with at-grade and aerial segments only. It would begin at the Lindbergh MARTA station and parallel the existing MARTA heavy rail line to the CSX railroad corridor, then continue adjacent to the CSX railroad right-of-way and then along Clifton Road, N. Decatur Road, DeKalb Industrial Way, and North Arcadia Avenue and finally on to Avondale MARTA station.

Either route will open up a great deal of new riders to the MARTA system! This would make it easy for DeKalb County riders to forego heading to the Five Points MARTA Station Downtown for a transfer to the northbound Yellow/Red Lines. Emory University, Emory Hospital, the CDC as well as Egleston Children's Hospital are ALL valuable assets. It is great to see the Federal Government also recognizing this value.  

I liked the idea that was floated by some advocates several years ago of putting a massive intermodal station in the Armour Drive area. It could connect Amtrak, Marta, High Speed Rail, Beltline, and now this Clifton Corridor transit line and would probably attract a good bit of redevelopment.

• 2 weeks later...

The voters of Clayton County have spoken!

After all the votes were counted, the voters of Clayton County have embraced MARTA. Clayton is now poised to become the first  county to join MARTA since Fulton and DeKalb County joined in 1971. While it's a small county (pop. 264,000), MARTA will be very beneficial to the county. This is a very underserved market. I'm glad that the voters elected to join the system at the full one cent tax amount. Half of the money raised with go towards starting bus service to the county as soon as March 2015. The other half will be set aside for future commuter rail or another form of high capacity service.

Clayton now joins Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb and DeKalb as counties with some form of public transportation. Congrats to Clayton County. The CEO of MARTA has really reenergized the transit system and I look forward to watching the great things he will do for Clayton County transit options.  Hopefully the rail transit will come sooner than later. The extension would come from the south end point which is currently at the MARTA Airport Station. This will open up Clayton to the job centers in Fulton and DeKalb.  This is a good day for public transit in Metro Atlanta and Clayton County.

Clayton County MARTA Rapid Transit Extension Map 

MARTA-rail-plan.jpg

Here is a map showing the potential extension of the rapid transit line into Clayton County. I stand corrected. I assumed that it would come from the MARTA Airport Station but the spur will actually occur from the East Point MARTA Station. This is probably due to the rail lines that already exist along the extension route. I'm no transit guru so don't hold me to that assertion. This is a much better route because it has a stop in Hapeville. This is very near the Aerotropolis and the NA HQ of Porsche and whatever automaker that may soon join it. I know that another automaker was scouting the site for a potential relocation. Since this is about transit, I'll leave that speculation to the Aerotropolis thread. 

Since Clayton County voted overwhelmingly to join MARTA on Tuesday's election, MARTA has been very bullish on getting the county up and running ASAP. Based on the map above, the rail extension could be fully operational as soon as 2022. That sounds like a long time but considering it is almost 2015 and the planning and funding that goes into such massive undertakings, I think the timeline is pretty good. It also helps that planning for the Atlanta-Lovejoy-Macon commuter rail had already been studied along this route. Most of the hard work is already done.

Finally...perhaps...transit in Metro Atlanta is moving out of the twentieth century. I can see Gwinnett County being next in line.