Lurkers?

As this forum gets busier and busier I am wondering how many people actually read this forum regularly but don't post. If you are one of these lurkers, please reply to this forum and let us know who you are and if you live in or outside GR. I'd like to get a good feel for how many people read the forum on a regular basis. It seems to be more and more people every day.

And BTW, if you know anyone that is like-minded about supporting our downtown, let them know. The more the merrier and more inside information we can glean from people. :)

Joe

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do I count? ^_^

Seriously, I can't keep up with this forum (even lurking) anymore. It's great to see all these people coming to the G.R. forum sharing their ideas and opinions. Keep up the good work, guys! At this rate, this will be one of the most active forums on the site.

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted here a few times here, but I have been lurking for the past few weeks. Here's a little about me ...

YEARS IN GR: 12 (I moved here in 1993 to attend Aquinas College and stuck around ever since)

RESIDENCE: Downtown (specifically, in the area known as Hillside in GR's new downtown scheme)

RELATED INTERESTS: Architecture, design, nightlife, the rise of urban retail beyond art galleries, boutiques and that slightly creepy wig shop (what does it take to get a Whole Foods Market?)

The Urban Planet community has really picked up. That's great to see!

--Woz

I've posted here a few times here, but I have been lurking for the past few weeks. Here's a little about me ...

YEARS IN GR: 12 (I moved here in 1993 to attend Aquinas College and stuck around ever since)

RESIDENCE: Downtown (specifically, in the area known as Hillside in GR's new downtown scheme)

RELATED INTERESTS: Architecture, design, nightlife, the rise of urban retail beyond art galleries, boutiques and that slightly creepy wig shop (what does it take to get a Whole Foods Market?)

--Woz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the Whole Foods comment could create another string on this forum. I think they like to wait until there's so much anticipation the people go crazy...

And Woz, you are a good one at that. I enjoy reading your articles as almost all of them are a natural fit for this forum. Keep up the good work and feel free to plunder our ideas for articles, although I'm sure you know way more than you are able to divulge... ;)

Joe

--Woz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As this forum gets busier and busier I am wondering how many people actually read this forum regularly but don't post. If you are one of these lurkers, please reply to this forum and let us know who you are and if you live in or outside GR. I'd like to get a good feel for how many people read the forum on a regular basis. It seems to be more and more people every day.

And BTW, if you know anyone that is like-minded about supporting our downtown, let them know. The more the merrier and more inside information we can glean from people. :)

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am originally from GR, but have been living in Miami for the past four years. I purchased a unit in the Cherry Street Lofts (the old Dayton Bldg), and should be moving in by the end of May. It is so exciting to see all the new projects going on in downtown!

I just found this forum a couple of days ago, so I am currently still in the lurking stage.

I'm a 30-year-old man, originally from Belding, and currently living in Allendale. I'm in retail sales, and attending GVSU to get teacher certification in instrumental music. Lived in Indy and Milwaukee when I was married; then got divorced and moved back to West Michigan.

Go GR!

Rob

Welcome back Miami! As long as you can stomach our winters, I think you'll be happy with our progress. The Dayton building is looking great. It should be an excellent development!

I am originally from GR, but have been living in Miami for the past four years.  I purchased a unit in the Cherry Street Lofts (the old Dayton Bldg), and should be moving in by the end of May.  It is so exciting to see all the new projects going on in downtown!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just discovered this site via a Google search a couple of weeks ago. I am 34 and have lived here in the GR area with my wife for about 10 years, after graduating from Western and both of us growing up in Lansing and Saginaw. I work for a suburban homebuilder in the West Michigan area. I am trying to persuade the big wigs at my company to do some new projects in downtown Grand Rapids (maybe brownstones or a 4-5 story mixed use project). We have been redeveloping the old tannery on White Lake in Whitehall into condos, a hotel, villas and a new marina, and have been approached to look at doing some buildings downtown. If you know of any good investment property in the city for this type of project, let me know.

I love this site and have been scouring the GR Press, Business Journal, MiBiz and township planning meeting minutes for the latest developments.

In case some of you are not aware, a great site that allows you to view parcel information via satellite photos of every square inch of Kent County is available at www.gvmc-regis.org. I have not heard it mentioned on this site, but I use it all of the time to see who owns certain properties.

BTW: I meet a lot of people in my line of work who are moving from the East side of the State, or moving back to GR to be nearer to family after living in Arizona, California, Colorado, etc.. The resounding theme is that they cannot believe how nice everyone is in this area.

If you are one of these lurkers, please reply to this forum and let us know who you are and if you live in or outside GR.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, ya got me. I lurk. I'm single, early 30's, and I live, at least until the condofication ejects me later this year, at the corner of Division and Monroe Center (I don't think you can live any more "in" GR than that, at least until City Center or the JA building turns into something). I also work downtown, and am really going to miss my seven minute commute via Shoe Leather Express.

Have lived here for about a year. Worked in downtown GR for about four years, then went to another employer in Ann Arbor for a couple years, only to be lured back by a former boss (who had since moved to another company), a little more money, and the possibility of being able to afford housing that isn't 30 miles from work.

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and am enjoying reading all of the various posts. This seems to be a good way to keep up with all that is happening with the revitalization of downtown GR.

My wife and I live in the Marywood/Fulton Heights area and we spend a fair amount of time downtown, especially at the outstanding restaurants the city now has to offer. As more and more housing goes up downtown, lets hope retail is not far behind.

One dream I have is that, someday, I'll be able to take a light rail system from near my home to near my office at Herman Miller in Zeeland . That idea is probably a bit far fetched, but who knows!

Welcome Par 75!

I like the Marywood area. It's a great neighborhood in the city. It will be interesting to see what the Gilmore Collection does with the property they own across from D&W. It was SUCH a shame when some schmuck burnt down that building while cutting out old machinery with a torch. It was going to be a great addition to the neighborhood (I always loved that building). Then to have it go up (err down) in flames as they were prepping the building for renovation. Ugh!

As for light rail, it will be interesting. I think a route to the lakeshore with a stop at GVSU (allendale) would have to be one of the first routes considered. It would be ideal and create a more cohesive metro area. MetroGRKid, when are you going to give us the inside scoop on the GT2 project?

I wouldn't mind seeing a old-time trolley system downtown also. I'm sure it won't happen but I'd like to see it. ;)

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, since everyone else is doing it, I might as well too.

26 year old male... Lived in the area my whole life, starting in GR (ottawa hills area), then caledonia, then middleville then kentwood, then allendale (GVSU), then back downtown (American Seating) now over in East Town. I've got a few friends who are into redoing houses and apartments in the heritage hill/east town area.

I work in IT out on the lakeshore, but have in recent years become really interested in the downtown area. It's changed drastically since the days I used to ride my bike down michigan hill at 90 miles an hour. I'd like to get more involved with making the city a cool place to be both during the day and night, just not finding to many things to get involved with. I'd love to see this city grow into a really cool place to live and hangout.

I do think it's making steps in the right direction, but as noted in other threads it's not quite "young" friendly downtown as far as housing/apartments, but it appears people are working to change that. I know there are a lot of plans for adding more nightlife spots downtown too, which I think is always a plus.

Welcome PBJ. See MetroGRKids post on Metropolitan Center if you want to get involved and change things.

Joe

Welp, since everyone else is doing it, I might as well too.

26 year old male... Lived in the area my whole life, starting in GR (ottawa hills area), then caledonia, then middleville then kentwood, then allendale (GVSU), then back downtown (American Seating) now over in East Town.  I've got a few friends who are into redoing houses and apartments in the heritage hill/east town area.

I work in IT out on the lakeshore, but have in recent years become really interested in the downtown area.  It's changed drastically since the days I used to ride my bike down michigan hill at 90 miles an hour.  I'd like to get more involved with making the city a cool place to be both during the day and night, just not finding to many things to get involved with.  I'd love to see this city grow into a really cool place to live and hangout. 

I do think it's making steps in the right direction, but as noted in other threads it's not quite "young" friendly downtown as far as housing/apartments, but it appears people are working to change that.  I know there are a lot of plans for adding more nightlife spots downtown too, which I think is always a plus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome Rizzo and DTDC. It's good to have you here!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just joined today, after many months of lurking. I love the photos of urban areas, and especially of my old home town. And I love your avatar. I am old enough to remember that building, and was very said when it was torn down in 1969 to build -- a parking lot. Fortunately, the Kent County Courts building sits on the site now. Funny how things come full circle; in the old City Hall, the Grand Rapids Superior Court used to sit. This was a unique court in the State of Michigan, and was abolished in the 1960s.

Welcome LA Dave!

The Old City Hall was designed by the same architect as our (and many other states) capital. It is a shame that it is gone. It probably missed historic salvation by a year or two but really galvanized the preservation of heritage hill and other buildings.

Joe

Welcome LA Dave!

The Old City Hall was designed by the same architect as our (and many other states) capital. It is a shame that it is gone. It probably missed historic salvation by a year or two but really galvanized the preservation of heritage hill and other buildings.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that's right. City Hall was demolished the same year as the dedication of the Calder sculpture, which in turn helped to spark the annual Festivals each summer. (I played in the GR Symphony for that dedication, and I remember Sandy Calder being an old man with a shock of white hair.)

Just before the old City Hall was being demolished, a local activist chained herself to the wrecking ball in a vain attempt to stop the demolition. As I recall, she was a pretty attractive lady wearing a mini skirt (yes, they were the style back then). It made for great pictures in the Press, but not much more.

Yes, that's right.  City Hall was demolished the same year as the dedication of the Calder sculpture, which in turn helped to spark the annual Festivals each summer.  (I played in the GR Symphony for that dedication, and I remember Sandy Calder being an old man with a shock of white hair.) 

Just before the old City Hall was being demolished, a local activist chained herself to the wrecking ball in a vain attempt to stop the demolition.  As I recall, she was a pretty attractive lady wearing a mini skirt (yes, they were the style back then).  It made for great pictures in the Press, but not much more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, if I were alive I would have been doing the same thing.

wreckingball.jpg

Yeah, if I were alive I would have been doing the same thing.

wreckingball.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh my God, Mary Stiles! I guess the mini skirt memory was just wishful thinking (I was a teenager at the time). The Stiles lived in a great 1860s or 1850s farm house out on Knapp Street. I wonder if it is still there.

LA Dave:

The attractive woman in the mini skirt in your memory was probably Nancy Mulnix, the driving force behind bringing La Grand Vitesse and its creator, Alexander Calder, to Grand Rapids.

--Woz

Archived