Lurkers?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alrighty, time for me to come out of the darkness here lol

My name is Brett and I'm 20, and I currently live in Greenville right now...

I've always had an interest in GR as a child (raised in Belding), and ever since coming to this forum and seeing all of the things that are actually happening, my interested I would say has tripled.

I currently work for Independent Bank in the Operations Center; I run the Call Center/Internet Banking and considered a level 2 tech support even though I don't have the official title, lol.

I am making the plan and goal to relocate (or find a new job) to downtown GR or heritage hills sometime this year, hopefully late summer....so if anyone is hiring let me know! lol

As this forum gets busier and busier I am wondering how many people actually read this forum regularly but don't post. If you are one of these lurkers, please reply to this forum and let us know who you are and if you live in or outside GR. I'd like to get a good feel for how many people read the forum on a regular basis. It seems to be more and more people every day.

And BTW, if you know anyone that is like-minded about supporting our downtown, let them know. The more the merrier and more inside information we can glean from people. :)

Joe

Time to stop lurking! Thanks for the push :) I was home for the holidays and was suprised at all the development proposed/going on. Its really fantastic. I lived in GR for my last 2 yrs of HS then off to Milwaukee for college, then San Francisco for wife aquisition and now Brooklyn for...why the hell did I move here?? I snooped around to see what was up and found this forum in most of my searches - very cool.

Big changes on tap in GR - the medical community build-up is really great. Really smart move for the local economy. I grew up in Detroit and the news from the other side of the state is terrible. Lowes recently tried to open a store in metro D and after conducting interviews with over 1500+ people they could only find 20-some people who at least made it to high school and hadn't spent any time in jail. They canned the project. I heard a stat recently that 70+% of Detroiters read at or below a 3rd grade level. Really sad. Time for West Michigan to step up!

I work in real estate here and there's a great local blog you might get a kick out of: www.brownstoner.com Its a neighbor of ours who is a wall street guy and real estate maven. He now finds himself trying to maintaining his "hobby" that already gets 6,000 visitors a day. NY-ers are real estate obsessed so he is doomed :) Thanks for running a great forum.

Big changes on tap in GR - the medical community build-up is really great. Really smart move for the local economy. I grew up in Detroit and the news from the other side of the state is terrible. Lowes recently tried to open a store in metro D and after conducting interviews with over 1500+ people they could only find 20-some people who at least made it to high school and hadn't spent any time in jail. They canned the project. I heard a stat recently that 70+% of Detroiters read at or below a 3rd grade level. Really sad. Time for West Michigan to step up!

Welcome PHB! I do quite a bit of writing for copy and for an old employer's (manufacturer's) newsletter and technical/procedure manuals, and I used to have to keep it at a "7th grade reading level" before it could be submitted. Word has a scan you can do to assess the reading level of your documents. Pretty sad.

^My prof said this about it, "Keep it simple, they're stupid too." Kinda sad about catering to keeping the level around that, but if it was any higher, people would acutally have to learn and use their thinking machines. Its become what sells, or anything that requires a quick look to keep with the attention of the reader.

^My prof said this about it, "Keep it simple, they're stupid too." Kinda sad about catering to keeping the level around that, but if it was any higher, people would acutally have to learn and use their thinking machines. Its become what sells, or anything that requires a quick look to keep with the attention of the reader.

Your prof wasnt Richard B. Cheney was he?

Welcome PHB! I do quite a bit of writing for copy and for an old employer's (manufacturer's) newsletter and technical/procedure manuals, and I used to have to keep it at a "7th grade reading level" before it could be submitted. Word has a scan you can do to assess the reading level of your documents. Pretty sad.

It is sad. Detroit has a long road but it sems GR is setting itself up for a bright future.

I've been accused of posting to this site for quite a while, so I figured I might as well make it official and clear when I post comments...

My name is Ted Lott. Greg Metz, Amy VerHoef and I are Lott3Metz Architecture.

I first became aware of this site when JoeDowntown contacted me to ask me some questions about some projects of ours.

I'm excited to be involved in the forum...

I've been accused of posting to this site for quite a while, so I figured I might as well make it official and clear when I post comments...

Hi Ted!

I've been lurking quite awhile as well and only recently

began to post...

It's been a long time since you were a customer of mine

at Eastgate. I've been incredibly impressed with all you're

doing in the city, but not at all surprised given your talent

that was apparent even back then.

I finally got my BFA and am working as an illustrator...

be sure to visit my blog (still working on a website)

and take a look:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/NeighborhoodPlaces/

...that goes for the rest of you, too! Enjoy.

I have been surfing this site since last summer. I am excited to finally have a place to go for information about Grand Rapids, and to have a place to find people who share my enthusiasm.

I was born and raised within the city limits all my life, and I am now renting a house with a couple other guys in a single level house in a quiet Wyoming neighborhood near Studio 28.

I like big highways and tall buildings, both of which our city lacks. But what we lack in big-city feel, we make up for with the many briliant minds contained within our borders. Ultimately, it's the people that keep me here, and it's the people who will continue to bring us closer to our goal of becoming a world class city.

I first became aware of this site when JoeDowntown contacted me to ask me some questions about some projects of ours.

I'm excited to be involved in the forum...

Welcome Ted! Being in the "heart" of Heartside, anything coming down the pike that you can tell us about. :whistling: What's going on with 101 S. Division?

I've been reading brownstoner for a while now, it's a great site. Welcome to UP!

EDIT: Do you read/like curbed.com?

Thanks! Curbed has become very popular, its a good one as well but I usually stick to brownstoner for the reno blogs and other brooklyn-centric coverage. Plenty of great reading on the horriffic architecture being thrown up by shameless developers trying to turn a quick buck in the fringe neighborhoods.

Welcome Ted! Being in the "heart" of Heartside, anything coming down the pike that you can tell us about. :whistling: What's going on with 101 S. Division?

Firstly, we're just happy that Division is open again - Oakes is still a mess but we can deal. Regardless, there's a lot in the works - just nothing I can talk about.

I promise I'll share when I can...

Firstly, we're just happy that Division is open again - Oakes is still a mess but we can deal. Regardless, there's a lot in the works - just nothing I can talk about.

I promise I'll share when I can...

Fair enough. Thanks Ted! If you can keep us in mind and let us know before the rest of the civilized world, that would be great!

I was a lurker on and off for a year or so but just started posting. This is a great site and a great resource.

I was born and raised in Grand Rapids but left many years ago. I currently live on the west coast. Hoping to return to GR this summer or fall after I finish planning school.

The changes in the city are phenomenol. Can't wait to come back!

Archived