Carolina...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really. Being from North CAROLINA and being in the CAROLINA'S, and being a University of North CAROLINA graduate, I don't really mind it that much. We do have the Charlotte Bobcats, the Charlotte Knights, the Charlotte 49'ers (although I preferred it when they were UNCC-Charlotte), the Charlotte Sting, the Charlotte Whitewater Park, and we used to have Charlotte Motor Speedway.

I know the Panthers are called Carolina b/c they are supposed to be both Carolinas team. Richardson is from Spartanburg and he wanted a team in Charlotte to represent both Carolinas by being in the largest and most central city. There was even a debate about what to call the team in the early 90's. They were trying to decide on the Carolina Panthers, or the Carolinas Panthers.

The term Carolinas doesn't really bother me. I think it's used more as a marketing term since we are a border town. A good number of our workforce and consumers live in another state. Why not use a term that covers everybody.

As far as the Panthers goes, that doesn't really bother me either. They have been around long enough for people to identify with where they are located. Besides plenty of proffesional sports teams are named after states or regions.

But, maybe we could get more specific. Since this past winter the Anaheim Angels changed their name to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, maybe we could change our name to the Carolina Panthers of Charlotte. :rofl:

UNCC was once known as Charlotte College. There is an effort underway to change the name to the University of Charlotte. I'm not sure if it will be successful or not.

The Bobcats are named the Charlotte Bobcats because of the huge outlay of public money used to bribe the NBA to put another team in Charlotte.

Many businesses located in Charlotte tend to serve both states. Because we are the economic capital of both states, it makes business sense to use the name Carolinas over Charlotte. Kinda like BofA not being NCNB anymore. People in the other states would not want to do busines with the North Carolina National Bank.

As mentioned above, the Carolina Panthers was the price for getting SC's help in landing a NFL team. SC's support was instrumental in helping Charlotte to get a team. At the time the general thinking was that CLT was not enough of a city to support two major league teams. Ironically they were correct on that matter.

As a side. Metrolina was the term used to describe the area now known as the Charlotte Metro. (basically Meck and the 9 surrounding counties). The only facility that still uses the name is the Metrolina Fair Grounds (Metrolina Expo).

The city did require the nba to name the expansion team with the word "Charlotte", since the city was paying the bills. The Panthers were paying their own bills, so they opted for the most commercially profitable and broad-reaching.

Honestly, I know what you mean about confusion. This area has C and Ch confusion: Carolina, Charlotte, Chapel Hill, Columbia, Charleston, not to mention Charleston, WV and Charlottesville outside of the Carolinas. Also many people don't know if Charlotte is NC or SC. the Charlotte USA campaign does not help that, even though it is fair for them to try to create a national image independant of what people may think of NC.

The "Carolinas" trend actually comes from the same situation that has caused Charlotte to be a major city. Business cities grow the most when they act as a business capital for a region. For a long time, Atlanta was the business capitol of the south. Regional business units for huge companies traditionally located in Atlanta to manage the activities in the whole South. To some degree, that is still true. However, as NC and SC have grown over the last few decades, they are starting to warrant a regional hqs for business in the Carolinas. Charlotte has become the obvious choice for that.

I am okay with the Carolinas labels, as long the city's fame increases.

The term Carolinas doesn't really bother me. I think it's used more as a marketing term since we are a border town. A good number of our workforce and consumers live in another state. Why not use a term that covers everybody.

As far as the Panthers goes, that doesn't really bother me either. They have been around long enough for people to identify with where they are located. Besides plenty of proffesional sports teams are named after states or regions.

But, maybe we could get more specific. Since this past winter the Anaheim Angels changed their name to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, maybe we could change our name to the Carolina Panthers of Charlotte. :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That Anaheim name is a truly a joke, but in all seriousness, teams have changed the location part of their names before (but usually going to the broader surrounding area). The Boston Patriots became New England, Phoenix Cardinals became Arizona. The San Fran Warriors became Golden State. An NHL team from the 70s switched back and forth between the California and Oakland Seals a few times. And supposedly the Florida Marlins are seriously considering going to the Miami moniker. So I dont think changing Carolina Panthers to Charlotte is all that far fetched in the future, especially if the city continues to grow at it has.

Plus it's kind of funny that the other pro Carolina team, the Hurricanes, plays almost 3 hours away :lol:

Don't forget Metrolina Food Bank....

Dubone.....you made a good point about Charlotte being to obvious choice for companies to have a regional office to serve the Carolina's......I see this as a key driver in future office demand.....according to the Census (and I never like to rely on them for info) both Charlotte and Atlanta have the same 100 mile population (though my own cursory estimates showed Atlanta still about 5% higher).....Considering the tremendous growth of both Charlotte and Raleigh, as well as the steady growth of the Triad, Columbia, and GSP, I think that the Carolinas may become the dominant region of the south (So. Florida not included).

On a different topic, what the city needs to focus on is connections with Latin America. US Airways is trying to become the dominant US carrier to serve that region, and Charlotte is the hub for that. The 3rd and 4th largest US banks are here, and it seems like a possible growth opportunity for them rather than competing in the tight European market. Embracing Latin American business much like Miami has could strengthen the region dramatically from a business sense, make the city more globally important, and attract higher-wage foreigners which would add attractive diversity to the city.

Just a quick clarification to avoid a CvA fight... i actually see regional hq's in Atlanta continuing to be for the whole south, but i see many many companies ALSO setting up a Carolinas hq in Charlotte as these two states continue to grow leaps and bounds. That is already the setup for many companies, but they may only have a small office here and a much larger office in atl.

Obviously, there will always been plenty of companies with national/global hq's in both cities, and many others, but business unit and regional governance/support are what i'm talking about.

'Carolinas' labels are just part of Charlotte being the biz capital of both states.

I knew what you were saying and I was agreeing.....I didn't mean to indicate that Charlotte would start taking Atlanta jobs, but rather that it will be crucial to have offices also in Charlotte in the future due to its central location of such a nationally significant region.

I don't really mind the term Carolina being used to describe CLT except during Panthers games where the announcers usually say something to the order of "live here in Carolina." Technically its not a geographic locale but more of a region.

As to what monsoon was referring to, I'd really love to see that name come in vogue again. That would be an awesome name for a future major league sports team. In a cocky sort of way it would put a stamp on our dominance of the Carolinas :D ( :rofl: hahaha Triangle, Triad and South Carolinians)

(edit: actually I brag about both carolinas and their cities every opportunity I get out here in Nevada... most people out here are confused as to where exactly our cities are located, but that's only because they're all from La La Land and these people just don't know any better)

I think the term Metrolina fell out of use because many referred to this area as the "Metrolina Empire" which of course raised the hackles of 100% of Eastern NC. This really isn't that unheard of as I have heard that Los Angeles or maybe Orange county is referred to as the Inland Empire, and even Charleston refers to itself locally as the Coastal Empire.

I like the term myself.

Not really. Being from North CAROLINA and being in the CAROLINA'S, and being a University of North CAROLINA graduate, I don't really mind it that much.  We do have the Charlotte Bobcats, the Charlotte Knights, the Charlotte 49'ers (although I preferred it when they were UNCC-Charlotte), the Charlotte Sting, the Charlotte Whitewater Park, and we used to have Charlotte Motor Speedway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there is no university of north carolina. apparently you went to unc-chapel hill. their sports teams are commonly referred to as north carolina. unc charlotte's sports teams are known as simply charlotte.

unc charlotte will become the university of charlotte within 10 years. with dr dubois on board, this is almost certain.

Archived