Edwards Rail Car Company

monsoon

I found this fascinating history of the Edwards Rail Car Company which used to build these unique self propeled rail cars during the first 1/2 of the 20th century here in North Carolina. They were located in Sanford, NC (SW of Raleigh) and their first car was for a small railroad that connected Sanford to Lillington, NC. Who would have known they built self propeled rail cars in 1920s NC?

They went out of business in the 1940s, but recently they were ressurected and are now in the business of building replicas based on the original designs. Unfortunately they are in Fla. now, but still worth checking out.

Check them out.

Edwards Rail Car Company

Some photos from their site.

aw-no5.jpg

vcs-m20.jpg

panama105.jpg

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Learn something new everyday! That's really fascinating, and with such products available I could see some cities purchasing them for use on an abandoned section of rail that serves a strip of urban-ish development. It would certainly be less expensive that running the catenary lines... I can't imagine the price of the car exceeds that of a rubber-tire faux trolley by too much.

Archived