Uptown Charlotte Project Rundown

dubone

dead.....never going to happen....actually, i take that back.

The county hired a parks consultant to design a new park for that part of uptown. The consultant recommended the park going on that parcel and the one behind it across Church St. The county has since fired that consultant because they thought he was too concerned about where the park would be located and should have instead been designing the land already owned by the county.

This takes the pressure off of Cornerstone to do a land swap with the county. Seeing as Spectrum (who has become Cornerstone's Charlotte development partner) has had much greater success with residential than office, I forsee this building being a pretty tall residential tower in a few years (they probably would need to go 40 stories to make it economics work) unless the office market improves dramatically....though with two fairly good size office towers set to start in the next year or so, I can't see that there will be much demand for this space unless we can find a huge HQ relocation that doesn't mind waiting.......or what I'd like to see is SunTrust (now that they've bought CCB) to build a tower for it's expanded NC operations.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forsee this building being a pretty tall residential tower in a few years (they probably would need to go 40 stories to make it economics work) unless the office market improves dramatically....though with two fairly good size office towers set to start in the next year or so, I can't see that there will be much demand for this space unless we can find a huge HQ relocation that doesn't mind wa

atlrvr...which two office towers are you talking about? the only one i know of is wachovia's proposed one. whats the other?

Two new developments that aren't technically uptown but are more southend.

1. A building permit was issued for another building at the Village of Southend......This will sit next to the building that now houses EQ3 furniture and will front South Blvd........it finally completes the whole block and will create a more urban feel sense it eliminates a big overgrown field in front of Furman's condo project.

2. The former Lafayette Jewelers at Morehead and Tryon has been sold to an out of town developer who is planning condos........I think the Business Journal should have more info in the upcoming issue.

Atlrvr, I was wondering about that lot in front of the Village of Southend. I thought that perhaps the developer didn't own the lot.

Any idea of the size/purpose of the building? Will it be condos or a single story retail building to compliment the EQ3 store? I'd love to see another large condo building there, it would help with the urban feel of the area.

As for the Lafayette building, any word on the size of the condo project? That's a pretty prime piece of real-estate.

Thanks for the rundown!

Atlrvr, I was wondering about that lot in front of the Village of Southend. I thought that perhaps the developer didn't own the lot.

Any idea of the size/purpose of the building? Will it be condos or a single story retail building to compliment the EQ3 store? I'd love to see another large condo building there, it would help with the urban feel of the area.

As for the Lafayette building, any word on the size of the condo project? That's a pretty prime piece of real-estate.

Thanks for the rundown!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the developer didn't own the lot when vose was under construction (i haven't checked to see if that is still the case). Last i checked it was simonini.

yeah......the owner didn't want to sell originally (if it was simonini, it was probably because he is consdiering building a new office for his company in southend and he could have been considering that site) The project will likely be retail and maybe a second story of office.....this will be Crosland doing it (like the EQ3 building) so I don't anticipate any residential.

The entire block on Morehead was sold including the BofA owned piece.....which makes me wonder if it was Novare (since BofA sold them their other land uptown) However I doubt it sense I would be suprised to see Novare already purchasing their second site before any contracts had been signed on their first tower........however, I know they are planning more Charlotte towers and seeing as they are self-financed, they don't need the assurance of getting financing to start the wheels of a 2nd development in motion.

It is supposed to be a condo tower, and the land has changed hands (not just an option).....that's all I really know at this point.

Yeah, a condo tower would make sense at that location, half-way between downtown and SouthEnd, it would be a very attractive location, especially if the rest of the area gets cleaned up a little (that motel could be a hurdle to condo sales...).

Any idea if there are any height restrictions on that site, or would they need to rezone for anything over 10 stories?

It has UMUD......so there should be no problem putting a high-rise on the site.....and actually, BofA wasn't the seller....they had already deeded the land to the current owner in exchange for the land they owned where Gateway Village is today......

What a view that would be.....who know's how tall that is, but about 30 stories up right there would have a godly view.

Thanks for the rundown!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

here is an article about that location in front of south end village by EQ3

Admins Note: Please post the link unless you are telling us you have permission from the Observer. Sorry but we have had to start cracking down on this. Please feel free to delete this if you decide to repost

• 2 weeks later...

dubone......this is great....I think this is the most correct map based on current proposals that I've seen.

Now through up some residential along the 3rd Ward park, and finally, there will be a sense of urbanness there.

Archived