Uptown Charlotte Project Rundown

dubone

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure where to mention this, and I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll post here.

Wachovia is merging it's wholely-owned Congress Financial with it's asset-based lending business to creat a new subsidiary named Wachovia Captial Finance.....this will be based in Charlotte which is great news since Congress was based in NYC.....also, the new head will be the head of Congress who will be moving to Charlotte from NYC. Not big news, but it's always nice to see Charlotte pulling some executives from NYC.

Two new developments that aren't technically uptown but are more southend.

1.  A building permit was issued for another building at the Village of Southend......This will sit next to the building that now houses EQ3 furniture and will front South Blvd........it finally completes the whole block and will create a more urban feel sense it eliminates a big overgrown field in front of Furman's condo project.

2.  The former Lafayette Jewelers at Morehead and Tryon has been sold to an out of town developer who is planning condos........I think the Business Journal should have more info in the upcoming issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that building permit for the Lowe's Home Improvement project?

Have y'aw seen this???

OBSERVER EXCLUSIVE

South End lures a Lowe's

Innovative design aims to tuck big box behind townhouses

DOUG SMITH

The Charlotte Observer

After two years of searching for an urban site, Lowe's Cos. Inc. has chosen South End for an unusual home improvement center that will have parking on the roof and townhomes around the edges.

The Mooresville-based chain wants to develop a 135,000-square- foot store with a garden center on two blocks of South Boulevard between Magnolia Avenue and Iverson Way.

Lowe's spokeswoman Jennifer Smith said the company doesn't comment on sites or proposed stores until it owns the land. The South Boulevard property is under contract for purchase.

Bill Ford of Ford Commercial LLC, who helped Lowe's assemble 23 land parcels for the store, declined to comment on development plans.

But LandDesign Inc. renderings of the project -- obtained exclusively by the Observer -- show how extensively Lowe's plans to screen the store to fit the location.

About 30 three-story townhomes are to be developed at the South Boulevard/Magnolia corner nearest the Village of Southend and about 30 additional townhomes are planned at the Magnolia/Lyndhurst edge nearest Dilworth residents.

Welcome AUD....

Village of Southend is right in front of the Furman Condos on the Same block as EQ3......it apparantly will be 1st floor retail and two floors of condos over that.

The BofA tower is in the planning stages now, with a rendering soon.....the possible hold-up to this is getting the Arts Plan worked out, to set up financing and see if the Mint or both the Mint and Betchler will be included. It could be up to 40 stories in heigh and include hotel space, condos, or both.

:rofl:

i will never forget reading the first onion front page after sept '01. it was perfectly done.

the onion is just too dang funny.

the congress one is actually satirizing the nba. i still can't believe the chinese not only didn't realize it was a joke, but refused to admit it was wrong even after they were told! :)

I figured I would start a new thread for the updated rundown map, so it would be easier for reference. Click HERE for the original thread and discussion.

Let me know if there are any edits needed. Thanks.

Aerialwithprojects3-19-05.jpg

A couple of those listed are not on this image version, because of the different angle.

1 Trolley Barn

2 South Light Rail

3 615 East Morehead

4 Irwin Creek Greenway

5 Trade Street Streetcar/Pedestrian Improvements

6 Multimodal Station

7 Third Ward Park

8 5 Wachovia

9 Davidson Street Extension

10 Metro School

11 Independence-Kenilworth Intersection

12 Little Sugar Creek Greenway

13 Target - Home Depot

14 Midtown Square Condo and Shops

15 Grubb Elizabeth Ave Development

16 CPCC Academic Center

17 Meck Courthouse Parking Deck

18 Meck Courthouse

19 The Park Condos

20 Trademark Condos

21 City View Towers Student Apts.

22 CVS Pharmacy / Offices

23 The Avenue Condos

24 NBA Bobcats Arena

25 Trammel Crow Caldwell St. Offices

26 Courtside Condos

27 Court6 Condos

28 Renwick Condos and Apartments

29 Drakeford 8th St. Townhouses

30 M Street Condos

31 Piedmont Court Hope IV Redev.

32 Alpha Cotton Mill Apartments

33 Brevard Street Widening / Pedestrian Improvements

34 First Ward Park and Parking Deck

35 Imaginon Children's Theatre/Library

36 Garrison at Graham

37 Fourth Ward Greenway

38 North Commuter Rail

39 I-77 HOV Lane

40 230 S. Tryon St. Condos

41 Hampton Inn Clock Tower

42 North East Light Rail

43 Epi Centre

44 Trade Street Federal Courthouse

45 Johnson & Wales Business School

46 Queens University Law School

47 Westin Condos/Offices

48 Cornerstone 300 S. Tryon Offices

49 Amtrak High Speed Rail

50 Opt12 Condos

51 Bechtler/Mint/Bank of America Tower

52 The Vue

53 1st Row Warehouse

54 Fiber Mills

55 200 W 10th

56 One Wachovia

57 Hal Marshall Site

58 Levine Master Plan

59 UNCC

60 Arena Outparcels

61 Convention Center Expansion

62 Lazes Entertainment District

63 Furman/Merryland Apartments/Mixed

64 Days Inn Site

65 J&W Expansion Buildings

66 Duke Energy HQ Expansion

67 Gateway Vilage Expansion

Completed Projects since the aerial was taken (~2001):

C1 Sycamore Green

C2 Johnson & Wales

C3 Post Gateway

C4 Gateway Lofts

C5 Mt Moriah Church

C6 J&W Dorms

C7 Charlotte Cotton Mills

C8 Fifth and Poplar

C9 Silos

C10 626 N Graham

C11 715 N Church

C12 Hearst Tower

C13 First Ward Elem.

C14 Tivoli

C15 Cityview Lofts/Towns

C16 Skyline Terrace

C17 10th St Towns/Alex Lofts

C18 Saussy Burbank Homes

C19 Trinity Episcopal School

C20 Children & Family Services

C21 CPCC Facilities Services

C22 CPCC IT Building

C23 CPCC Prof Dev Building

C24 Ratcliffe on the Green

C25 Westin Charlotte

EDIT: I made some corrections based on Atlrvr's feedback. Thanks!

Something I've realized lately is that based on available land and projected developments, the city is going to shift away from a North-east to South-West linear skyline and become more of a east-west fairly wide skyline, since it looks like most future development will occur in 3rd Ward and on Levine's land......I think one of the best views in the future is going to be from the top of the Garrison on Graham project.

Something I've realized lately is that based on available land and projected developments, the city is going to shift away from a North-east to South-West linear skyline and become more of a east-west fairly wide skyline, since it looks like most future development will occur in 3rd Ward and on Levine's land......I think one of the best views in the future is going to be from the top of the Garrison on Graham project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but i'd even go a step further in the longer-term. I think a majority of the remaining underdeveloped land in the 4 wards will be taller developments. The effect will be an east-west skyline with many buildings south of 6th between the railroad tracks and Belk Freeway.

I also agree the depth of the north-south skyline will continue between Church and Caldwell all the way to Brookshire Freeway.

Anybody think they'll do anything with that nice hunk of land in the bottom left corner where the John Belk and 77 meet? Currently, there's a couple of warehouses and Charlotte Pipe and Foundry, which is a very profitable business.

Cross over Morehead and there's more warehouses and the tree lined area just to it's north is townhouses and single family homes.

Also, what is #62, the Lazes Entertainment District just north of Elmwood Cemetary?

That part of West Morehead has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, a lot of old warehouses and buildings were torn down a few years ago because CMPD got spooked by some bad guys and told Duke (the landowner) to tear them down. It was in the news because they accidentally tore down a building filled with hundreds of thousands of $ worth of props from the opera or some blumenthal show.

I think that development momentum for this area will more likely be where W Morehead growth spreads east toward th Stadium, rather than uptown development growing toward that area.

As far as the Northwest corner of uptown, #62, Noah Lazes has been trying to put things together to grow that part of town for a while. You can see the orange dirt being turned now, when you drive by on brookshire, but i'm not sure what they are doing right now. I know the part that i marked as orange, is the block they have rezoned.

Here is more info on his plans: http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/2004-...es_feature.html

What is the UNCC project in between Imaginon and Courtside?  I think I missed that one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I've read/heard, its designated for a UNCC educational building, likely to house their MBA program, the real estate institute (which I think is incorporated as part of the business school, and is academic, not necessarily a licensing-training school, but I'm not sure) and, depending how things shake out down the line, potentially a law school.

Archived