230 S. Tryon ~ 90

Court 6 - 80

1st Row - 82

M Street - 67

Ratcliffe Phase II ~ 55

The Garrison - 39

200 W. 10th ~ 30

This I feel really good about (Through 2008) - 1924 units

I also think something will be done with the Renwick site, as do I think there will be future development on W. Morehead by 2008, adding another 300 units.

So by 2008, I expect about 2200 new units.....

Then, adding 700 a year (slightly decreasing the momentum), add 1,400 more through 2010 for a total of 3,600 units from now to late 2010...

The person:unit ratio uptown is about 1.6......so that adds roughly 5,760 people to the current population of ~10,000. I do count J&W because they are here for over half the year, so add 560 more for CitiView, plus roughly an equal amont in another J&W dorm-like building......

That puts me me just under 17k.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok......here's my list.

Vue - 410

EpiCentre - 420

Avenue - 386

TradeMark ~ 160

Courtside - 105

230 S. Tryon ~ 90

Court 6 - 80

1st Row - 82

M Street - 67

Ratcliffe Phase II ~ 55

The Garrison - 39

200 W. 10th ~ 30

This I feel really good about (Through 2008) - 1924 units

I also think something will be done with the Renwick site, as do I think there will be future development on W. Morehead by 2008, adding another 300 units.

So by 2008, I expect about 2200 new units.....

Then, adding 700 a year (slightly decreasing the momentum), add 1,400 more through 2010 for a total of 3,600 units from now to late 2010...

The person:unit ratio uptown is about 1.6......so that adds roughly 5,760 people to the current population of ~10,000.  I do count J&W because they are here for over half the year, so add 560 more for CitiView, plus roughly an equal amont in another J&W dorm-like building......

That puts me me just under 17k.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that's what I call showing your work.

^_^

Well.....I thought about it, but I decided that I would just assume that takes up the post 2008 demand.......of course if they go strict condo conversion for a phase I, with value oriented units, they could add another 200-300 units to my total.

OK, so some new info for you folks...(well some of you, some of you will already know this stuff).

I did a full day of consulting at the city's Planning Dept. today. In the course of the day, I spoke to my friend there a good bit about all the ongoing projects. Some stuff that I was told I cannot talk about (I don't want to get my friend fired!), but there is some stuff I can elaborate on.

Ongoing projects that I can comment on:

EpiCenter WILL happen. Height might be scaled back a bit, they are still doing market surveys, have not decided on condos vs apartments yet. The tower will be a part of the development and leasing for retail is going VERY well.

Vue Barring any unforseen market downturn, Vue's going to happen and it's going to be 50 stories. In my friends opinion, it's the best product that's coming to market. VERY impressed with the project, how it's been put together and the finished product it will create.

Avenue As you all know, it's going up. Nothing spectacular, but will be nice.

Trademark Will get built. Very impressed with Furman and what's he's able to accomplish. Say's Furman is very ahead of the market curve.

Park No surprise for anyone here...dead. Not going to happen. My friend still sees a condo tower built on that site, but not until Verna's willing to sell the property to another developer. "Over his head" was the phrase used.

Some nuggets that were discussed. I cannot go into more detail on these items.

Wachovia Tower Is a go. Will be a much larger project than people realize (notice I said larger...not taller), heavier residential component than people realize. Mint Craft + Design will move. We discussed a little more about the project and I can only say this, the project will change South Tryon in a MAJOR way and lead to more development. Also, the renderings I saw earlier this year are now dead, totally new look and feel (and no, I can't say...when renderings leak I'll tell you. I didn't see ANY renderings, I just heard descriptions that didn't match what I'd seen from Wachovia).

BoA BofA tower is not even on their radar, so it didn't get past the conceptual stage. Still could happen, it is, after all, BofA.

Mint Craft + Design So what will happen to the old Mint Craft + Design building when they move out? Well, BofA owns that building...and they are beginning to look around for tenants. Nothing is even close to being final about this...but....think major retail. Large footprint major retail. That's all I can say about that....

South Park Something is on the horizon for South Park mall. Those that thought it was finished are in for a BIG surprise. Again, I can't leak it...but my major complaint about the mall is about to be addressed...I'm really happy at the URBAN direction it's about to go (and that's all I can say about that...)

Sorry I can't divulge more info, but please understand I'm trying to respect my source's wishes. I hate unnamed sources, but this info is straight from the planning commission, so I've tried to make sure I'm not saying anything that could hurt someone's job.

Oh, and one more thing...Furman's next project is going to totally kick ass.

RHJ.......couple of questions, and some comments.

Will the base of The Vue be wrapped on the Graham and 6th St. sides? Brownstone style development would be huge IMO.

I'd assume the residential portion of Wachovia was going to be about 55 units and 12 stories......yay/nay?

As far as SouthPark......is this beyond the Holiday Park proposal which is 5 stories at Morrison and Sharon?

I don't mind talking about Furman. This would be the project over-looking 3rd Ward park I assume? See any renderings? I want a modern interpretation of the buildings lining Central Park East.

Goddam Atlrvr...you are plugged in.

Vue: I think it will be wrapped, but not with residential. Think commerical.

Wachovia: Bigger. Not much...but bigger. Mind you, this is what they're pitching to the commission. What gets built is always slightly different. Sometimes you ask for something more to bargin down to what you want...

South Park: No. Something else...something bigger.

Furman. Did not see any renderings. You are correct on the project...Height is being increased from the initial plan. I did NOT see renderings. He didn't leave any behind.

Don't mean to act all sneaky about this, I just don't want to get anyone into any trouble.

By the way, thought I should mention that I'm actually the unnamed source that the Biz Journal used to get renderings of the canceled 4 First Union. It was my own "deepthroat" moment....

When will we start to hear more about Holiday Park - do you know when it's suppose to get started/done?

With all the activity around the mall and with land getting tight, I wouldn't be suprised if they announced a residential tower in the future.

I don't know if you can answer this, but is Furman's new project one tower or a group of towers? And what happened with the BOA tower?

I can't comment anymore on Furman's project, I was asked not to. If Atlrvr want's to mention more about he might have more freedom than me to talk about it.

I'm not sure about the start date on Holiday Park. I can say that the South Park expansion I'm talking about is NOT a tower, but it does have residential components along with something else. It will be kind of unique for our area...

From what I heard (and not today, the folks at the city hadn't heard any more about the BofA Tower than I had), BofA had an anchor tenant they were in talks with besides themselves. Things are on hold. The fact that they were thinking 40+ stories should give everyone a good idea of what they have planned next. We'll see another BofA tower, just not before the Wachovia project.

Could somebody PLEASE tell me why the Hilton Garden Inn changed their sinage on the side of the building??? It looks HORRIBLE ! It is too small on a bldg that already does not mesh with the rest of the city. I have been tempted to call the Hilton myself and ask what the heck they think they are doing. Anybody know anything on this???

;)

A2

(BTW, it is the Hilton that is a pinkish orange stucco bldg. U-G-L-Y. It used to have the exposed elevator shaft that is now being converted to a clock tower.)

I think if the the OCC guys still have some more dynomite they could start with the demolition of this structure as it SUCKS !

(sorry for the potty mouth)

:P

OK, so some new info for you folks...(well some of you, some of you will already know this stuff).

I did a full day of consulting at the city's Planning Dept. today. In the course of the day, I spoke to my friend there a good bit about all the ongoing projects. Some stuff that I was told I cannot talk about (I don't want to get my friend fired!), but there is some stuff I can elaborate on.

Ongoing projects that I can comment on:

EpiCenter WILL happen. Height might be scaled back a bit, they are still doing market surveys, have not decided on condos vs apartments yet. The tower will be a part of the development and leasing for retail is going VERY well.

Vue Barring any unforseen market downturn, Vue's going to happen and it's going to be 50 stories. In my friends opinion, it's the best product that's coming to market. VERY impressed with the project, how it's been put together and the finished product it will create.

Avenue As you all know, it's going up. Nothing spectacular, but will be nice.

Trademark Will get built. Very impressed with Furman and what's he's able to accomplish. Say's Furman is very ahead of the market curve.

Park No surprise for anyone here...dead. Not going to happen. My friend still sees a condo tower built on that site, but not until Verna's willing to sell the property to another developer. "Over his head" was the phrase used.

Some nuggets that were discussed. I cannot go into more detail on these items.

Wachovia Tower Is a go. Will be a much larger project than people realize (notice I said larger...not taller), heavier residential component than people realize. Mint Craft + Design will move. We discussed a little more about the project and I can only say this, the project will change South Tryon in a MAJOR way and lead to more development. Also, the renderings I saw earlier this year are now dead, totally new look and feel (and no, I can't say...when renderings leak I'll tell you. I didn't see ANY renderings, I just heard descriptions that didn't match what I'd seen from Wachovia).

BoA BofA tower is not even on their radar, so it didn't get past the conceptual stage. Still could happen, it is, after all, BofA.

Mint Craft + Design So what will happen to the old Mint Craft + Design building when they move out? Well, BofA owns that building...and they are beginning to look around for tenants. Nothing is even close to being final about this...but....think major retail. Large footprint major retail. That's all I can say about that....

South Park Something is on the horizon for South Park mall. Those that thought it was finished are in for a BIG surprise. Again, I can't leak it...but my major complaint about the mall is about to be addressed...I'm really happy at the URBAN direction it's about to go (and that's all I can say about that...)

Sorry I can't divulge more info, but please understand I'm trying to respect my source's wishes. I hate unnamed sources, but this info is straight from the planning commission, so I've tried to make sure I'm not saying anything that could hurt someone's job.

Oh, and one more thing...Furman's next project is going to totally kick ass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alright no info to divulge, I can handle that. but i have to ask you rhj, what is your major complaint with SP??? That is not giving anything away. (or is it????) ;) I want something verticle. I am highly disappointed at the conservative nature of the residents around the mall (I live there) and can't stand the opposition. For that matter the conservative nature of this city gets under my skin. I was in Atlanta this weekend for biz and all I can say is, Yeah baby! B) They are doing a great job at bringing culture and residents back to mid town and for that matter even dtwn. I was really dissappointed after coming back to see Charlotte is still sometimes arguing about where a stupid billboard can go. C'mon Charlotte GROW for me. OK back to topic. what's the complaint w/ SP RHJ???

a2

i interpretted from his comment that his complaint was that south park is still quite suburban in that it is a single-use project requiring driving-parking-shopping- and driving home. I interpretted the new plans to mean that some residential and possibly office will be added to the mall to create a mixed-use urban center.

Actually, my line of work has nothing to do with it, others on this board are far more plugged in than I am. It just has to do with one of my clients, who just happens to be the Charlotte Planning Board.

So I do get to see some cool stuff.

But I do sign NDAs that can seriously mess up my business if I don't honor them. Imagine how angry you would be if you were a developer and everything you told the planning board started hitting the internet as soon as you were out the door. Your competition would know what you've planned, and you can forget about assembling land without prices shooting up.

So yeah, I kind of have to honor my friend's request. Other than that, I do want to make sure you understand two things; first, this is something that's in planning. Hundreds of proposals go the planning board each year and never see the light of day. This one might not also. Second, I might have hyped it too much. Again, I don't want to say too much...but I can say without fear of messing up that the project is NOT vertical. At least, not vertical in the sense that everyone here would like (no skyscraper).

I think it will still be about 10 years before we see a new tallest in South Park.

Actually, my line of work has nothing to do with it, others on this board are far more plugged in than I am. It just has to do with one of my clients, who just happens to be the Charlotte Planning Board.

So I do get to see some cool stuff.

But I do sign NDAs that can seriously mess up my business if I don't honor them. Imagine how angry you would be if you were a developer and everything you told the planning board started hitting the internet as soon as you were out the door. Your competition would know what you've planned, and you can forget about assembling land without prices shooting up.

So yeah, I kind of have to honor my friend's request. Other than that, I do want to make sure you understand two things; first, this is something that's in planning. Hundreds of proposals go the planning board each year and never see the light of day. This one might not also. Second, I might have hyped it too much. Again, I don't want to say too much...but I can say without fear of messing up that the project is NOT vertical. At least, not vertical in the sense that everyone here would like (no skyscraper).

I think it will still be about 10 years before we see a new tallest in South Park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I appreciate the head's up RHJ. I know how NDA's can be. Trust me. My work has them up and down, just not for the same "stuff" that you are dealing with. Thanks though for adding value to UP.

BTW, I agree with you on the Wachovia proposal. It is a lot bigger than people out there are probably visualizing. I have heard first hand that it is going to be something quite impressive.

B)

A2

I know this is not uptown, but does anyone know what's being done to McIntosh's Steak House on South Blvd?  The windows are boarded up and they've ripped off part of the brick facade.  Is McIntosh's getting bigger, or is someone new moving in?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think i read a tidbit in the CBJ a few weeks ago that McIntosh's is expanding.

Archived