American Tobacco Historic District

raleightransplant

This redevelopment is something else! I can't wait to hit some Bulls games after work this summer, and check this area out. Any word yet on the Liggett & Myers redevelopment? I understand that when this is coupled w/ West Village, it will be a larger redevelopment than even ATHD. Very exciting to see this, and Durham just has more of these cool buildings available for this kind of thing than Raleigh.

There was an article in this week's Business Journal about that project; they apparently scored a major commitment from Duke University that will allow them to jumpstart the next phase. Blue Devil Ventures did a great job with West Village, phase I. We went through those apartments a couple of years ago on the downtown historic tour and were impressed with how Big City they feel. Phse II should provide thatcritical link between downtown "proper" (inside the Urban Loop-- the worst idea ever-- don't get me started) and Brightleaf.

These high profile projects are great, and I've posted before about how incredible it is to see the Am. Tob'o courtyard filled with people and music on a summer evening. There are other, smaller projects, too that have gotten less attention, but which have filled in the spaces in dowtown and taken together, I think, have added substance to the street, and boosted downtown's sustainability significantly.

Go, Durham!

So it is my understanding that eventually the downtown loop will be rengineered. Motricity is also building an 80,000 sq. ft building adjacent to the AMTD as most if not all of the existing space is accounted for in the complex. The new biotech center at Venable is also close to this area. In some ways I feel that Durham's downtown development may eclipse that of Raleigh. I know these are bold words but it seems that there is more synergy with the business, educational, and cultural community in these developments.

Yea, I was down there yesterday and they were pretty much ripping everything up in the Main/Morgan area. Does anyone know how much money was appropriated for this downtown street configuration/streetscape? I thought its was more money than the Fayetteville Street project but I could be wrong.

There was an article in this week's Business Journal about that project; they apparently scored a major commitment from Duke University that will allow them to jumpstart the next phase. Blue Devil Ventures did a great job with West Village, phase I. We went through those apartments a couple of years ago on the downtown historic tour and were impressed with how Big City they feel. Phse II should provide thatcritical link between downtown "proper" (inside the Urban Loop-- the worst idea ever-- don't get me started) and Brightleaf.

These high profile projects are great, and I've posted before about how incredible it is to see the Am. Tob'o courtyard filled with people and music on a summer evening. There are other, smaller projects, too that have gotten less attention, but which have filled in the spaces in dowtown and taken together, I think, have added substance to the street, and boosted downtown's sustainability significantly.

Go, Durham!

Thanks for update. That is great news! The realization of these plans is going to make that area incredible!

Dan, I really hope you're right about Durham eclipsing Raleigh (to some extent) or at least becoming a "comparable" city in terms of business and culture (the latter it may already have a lock on). I walk to work downtown everyday and think of this city's potential. And for all of you who haven't been to ATHD yet, you've got to check it out.

It's funny you mention Motricity - check out this link and scroll down to Raleigh-Durham: http://www.fastcompany.com/subscr/100/open_fast-cities.html

I have always seen Durham as the underdog in the Triangle probably due to bad PR. Its nice to see some corporate investment in the city. A little competition in the area isn't a bad thing either.

On that note here is a list of projects completed, underway, and proposed in Durham.

Link

Edited by DanRNC

I have always seen Durham as the underdog in the Triangle probably due to bad PR. Its nice to see some corporate investment in the city. A little competition in the area isn't a bad thing either.

On that note here is a list of projects completed, underway, and proposed in Durham.

Link

Nice list, wow.

I went to Symposium Cafe last weekend, and saw the redevelopment first hand. This is a very nice project. Then, we got lost downtown and ended up heading east on Main (E Main Street) and saw some impressive urban/residential development. After seeing all this, I can see all the urban potential in Durham now.

Link

great list! Wish they were ALL downtown.

Of course, the infill happening around Duke Med is really impressive stuff from a design and density point of view.

Link

Now THAT'S impressive. It's good to see that great things in NC aren't just restricted to Charlotte and Raleigh.

Now THAT'S impressive. It's good to see that great things in NC aren't just restricted to Charlotte and Raleigh.

I totally agree with you. Durham is my hometown and I have always been frustrated with the lack of PR that we get for our redevelopment projects.... I haven't been near the old American Tobacco Company in years. It's wonderful to see the new development taking place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Good to see this topic consolidated. Excavation has begun on the Diamond View II and DPAC sites.

Diamond View II and III

Thanks for the link. I'm pleased and a little surprised to see the Diamond View <b>III</b> plans; to date in the papers, they've only been talking about the Diamond View II building, which has an I-bank from Chapel Hill as its anchor tenant.

Interestingly... I got a mailing from the Durham Bulls yesterday encouraging me to renew my season ticket mini-pass. In there, they talk about the Diamond View II building -- no mention of III.

Things are booming around the ATHD. By next year, with the performing arts center open, it should be even more incredible. I work in the District and it's a fantastic place to have an office -- particularly on a D-Bulls game day. :-)

There was an N&O article a while back that talked about expanded plans for Diamond View II-this may have been reference to III. I'll see if I can dig it up. I like the whole idea of inter-connectivity between all these projects. I was at Tyler's last Tuesday night for dinner and the place was packed (even families) which would have been unheard in Durham a couple of years ago.

There was an N&O article a while back that talked about expanded plans for Diamond View II-this may have been reference to III. I'll see if I can dig it up. I like the whole idea of inter-connectivity between all these projects. I was at Tyler's last Tuesday night for dinner and the place was packed (even families) which would have been unheard in Durham a couple of years ago.

Dan -- hey, thanks for the tip, and I'd love to read that article if you ever stumble across it; I'll take a look at the N&O too.

Funny you should say this. The Herald-Sun had an article y'day mentioning that Fishmongers is up for sale and claiming that some of the "older" Brightleaf restaurants have seen traffic go down. There *is* more competition in the restaurant market, and frankly some really awesome chefs and owners have come in and turned up the expectations. Fishmongers got some really mixed reviews on a Durham neighborhood listserv discussion lately concerning service, which probably hasn't helped their business.

For my part, everywhere that the wife and I frequent is indeed _really busy_. Tyler's, Mt. Fuji, the Federal, El Rodeo... not so many crowds as to have a wait, but the places are brimming. Rue Cler, which we love, is quite busy most nights and increasingly even the cafe is busy in the mornings, and it's definitely an 'urban outpost' there on Chapel Hill St.