American Tobacco Historic District

raleightransplant

• 3 months later...

Downtown Durham is continuing to push ahead as one of the more interesting urban areas in NC, if not the southeast. Rather than trying to be something they are not, they have focused on unique characteristics of the city which gives it authenticity lacking in most of the other cities in NC. 

Downtown Durham is continuing to push ahead as one of the more interesting urban areas in NC, if not the southeast. Rather than trying to be something they are not, they have focused on unique characteristics of the city which gives it authenticity lacking in most of the other cities in NC. 

I think that I agree with you on this one. When you think of Durham's developments, you don't see lofty aspirations of grandeur, but rather practicality. Kind of like Asheville, the city's charm exudes from it's ability to work with what they have and make it better, rather than trying to become the next best thing in urban environments.

• 3 weeks later...

I do like what's happening in and around Durham but let's not be so quick to credit local leaders (developers) without glancing down 15-501 at the big pickle debacle.  I don't know whether to attribute the historic stock (and cities like Asheville) to urban conservationist, good luck or plain ole development stagnation during urban renewal.  I'd like to think the former of those factors but even Charleston, SC considered overhauling dilapidated buildings during urban renewal without incentives/investments and voices from a few staunch urban enthusiast.

I love Durham's unique and unappreciated character but let's not be so quick to throw others under the bus, it could've easily happened here.  Winston, Gboro, Fville, HPoint, Wilmington and portions of Raleigh have maintained quite the historic charm in appropriate sections of their city.  Greensboro continues to build on those positives downtown in around Elm St. and other areas...more so than Durham in my opinion.

Durham has benefitted from a scaled (or slower) growth pattern which allows for a practical approach and consistency in regards to urban expansion and it shows.  Thank goodness most if not all of Durham's old tobacco warehouses stood the test of time and crane.  Although Asheville is more nationally recognized  and vibrant, Durham is much more demographically diverse and resides in a growing professional metro that affords people the option of living in a gritty town like Durham, or a fabricated upscale community like Cary or an obnoxiously self-absorbed college town like Chapel Hill :lol:.   That aside, I do like Chapel Hill....

Edited by Durhamite

I don't know whether to attribute the historic stock (and cities like Asheville) to urban conservationist, good luck or plain ole development stagnation during urban renewal. 

I have been told, but am not certain, that Durham and Asheville and a handful of others paid their debts during the great depression while most cities defaulted on their debt. Then when the 50's rolled around and urban renewal was all the rage, Durham and Asheville did not have money to go in and wipe out whole blocks for urban malls or to say condemn and demolish block after block to hand off to and lower the cost of redevelopment for developers. 

Check out this site:

http://www.opendurham.org/buildings/first-main-public-library-five-points-east

http://www.opendurham.org/buildings/five-points-west-five-points-drug-company

More has been lost over the years then you'd think....look at how densely developed downtown Durham used to be (see attached picture)...

if you explore this site you will also be appalled at what has been lost for and around the downtown loop, and not just all related to businesses but residences as well. At least downtown seems to be out of it's "tear things down for open space, surface parking lots or non descript office buildings" phase. Hopefully preservation will continue to be the trend, with additional infill projects for the numerous surface lots and empty spaces...

post-3026-0-05176800-1391647755_thumb.jp

Edited by NCMike1981

Yes, I've seen a lot of those pictures and is awful the city didn't attempt to at least consider replacing some of those buildings that burned down.  The freeway also destroyed and disconnected the Hyati area (Fayetteville St) which had a strong blues presence.  Durham still has plenty to work with and the first order of business is to make full usage of what's there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

diamond view I, II, DBAP

That building in the foreground and in picture two is actually Diamond View III.  Diamond View I is not in either of those pictures, but rather on the far side of DBAP, next to 147.

Edited by DPK

• 2 weeks later...

Ed Mitchells "Que" is now closed.

I don't think anyone is really going to miss that place.  In the sense that it was overpriced "okay" bbq with a staff that was kinda "meh" as well at times.  Whatever replaces it will probably not be an independent / mom-pop establishment due to the rent prices there.

Edited by DPK

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...