American Tobacco Historic District

raleightransplant

On 11/4/2019 at 6:40 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I hate suburban office parks.  They’re really depressing.

Besides, two of the biggest pharma companies, Pfizer and Bristol-Meyers Squibb, are based in Manhattan.

The business HQs are but not any R&D facilities. BMS has their main R&D out in New Brunswick, NJ and Pfizer has theirs out in Groton, Connecticut. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

What’s the address?

corner of Pettigrew and S Roxboro St part of the Venable center 

https://www.trammellcrow.com/en/configuration/country,-c-, united states/content/affiliate/raleigh/press-releases/2019/the-roxboro-at-venable

announced in 2018 but now sounds like construction is imminent and financing secured.    464 Pettigrew St. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Took a friend here today and he could not believe all good this all looked.  and you know it is a fantastic redevelopment and reuse of a historical property.   No wonder it is totally leased to lots of companies and has spurred some much development around it.  

IMG_8218.JPG

IMG_8194.JPG

IMG_8211.JPG

IMG_8212.JPG

IMG_8213.JPG

IMG_8214.JPG

IMG_8215.JPG

IMG_8216.JPG

IMG_8217.JPG

IMG_8221.JPG

IMG_8223.JPG

IMG_8224.JPG

IMG_8225.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 1:04 PM, SydneyCarton said:

The Tobacco Campus is beautiful.  I wish that it had more retail though.

They really struggle with retail, especially food.

As an employee that used to work at ATC up until everyone went work from home, the food options are dismal there these days.  They lost Tyler's, Cuban Revolution, the bbq place, the wing place, two sandwich places, and the sushi/asian place all within the span of the last couple years.  Their rents are kind of jacked up as nobody seems to be able to successfully keep a restaurant open there these days.  Now they just have popups and food trucks.

That and last year they stopped doing Concerts on the Lawn, which sucks.  It was fun to stay after work and hear some tunes.

I think their leasing company changed hands which probably explains the crap show.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DPK said:

They really struggle with retail, especially food.

As an employee that used to work at ATC up until everyone went work from home, the food options are dismal there these days.  They lost Tyler's, Cuban Revolution, the bbq place, the wing place, two sandwich places, and the sushi/asian place all within the span of the last couple years.  Their rents are kind of jacked up as nobody seems to be able to successfully keep a restaurant open there these days.  Now they just have popups and food trucks.

That and last year they stopped doing Concerts on the Lawn, which sucks.  It was fun to stay after work and hear some tunes.

I think their leasing company changed hands which probably explains the crap show.

So many apartments are being built in downtown Durham, and yet, there's no retail.  There's not even a supermarket.  What's the point of living downtown if there's nowhere to shop?  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So many apartments are being built in downtown Durham, and yet, there's no retail.  There's not even a supermarket.  What's the point of living downtown if there's nowhere to shop?  

There is the Bull City Bodega at the One City Center tower a very small grocery convenience store but there is a grocery store just south of NC 147 used to be a Food Lion now something else. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

There is the Bull City Bodega at the One City Center tower a very small grocery convenience store but there is a grocery store just south of NC 147 used to be a Food Lion now something else. 

That’s not much though.  There’s a Whole Foods near Duke’s East Campus, but that’s hardly downtown.   Honestly, the area around 9th Street seems to have a lot more going on than downtown Durham.   In terms of the atmosphere and the level of activity, it reminds me a lot of East Blvd. in Dilworth.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

American Tobacco Campus announces a major expansion and big money partner Hines and USAA.  Will develop 2 timber office buildings and 14 story apartment tower next to the existing ATC campus.  On the old car dealership land adjacent. 

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2020/07/28/durhams-american-tobacco-campus-getting-a-massive-3-building-expansion/

http://hinesgarziavirtualvegas.com/american-tobacco-campus/

• Like 4

I love this, however that pocket of land is so wedged in by 147 and egress from ATC to 147 is and of itself an abomination.  I hesitate to speculate how terrible traffic flow is going to be with this addition on game and DPAC nights without improving the intersections adjacent to this development, particularly those at the 147 on/off ramps.

• Thanks 1

It had been a while since any development news came out of the Bull City.  This is big, if all stays the same it will be the biggest single project in downtown Durham history!  The two timber office buildings will be among the first of their kind nationwide, and the 14 story apartment building will be a solid addition to the skyline.

Also very noteworthy is the 90,000 sq ft of retail, some of which is being targeted for a grocery store.  That would be a huge win!

ATC_rendering_1-1024x640.thumb.jpg.c02de3eb2621d084d3733a6427d7594e.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

So which is the 14 story apartment? The one on the left or the taller tower on the right. Because the one on the right looks to be 14 stories with a 7 story podium

edit: it looks like the tower is part of phase 2

Ok so looking now at the plans on the Hines website, it looks like the one on the lower left of the pic will actually be the 14 story tower.  The bottom right is a 7 story deck (!!!) with a 10 story office tower perched atop it.

I count roughly 2,400 parking spots combined between the four parking decks from the plans...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow!  This is fantastic news.  

On 7/28/2020 at 8:39 AM, Blue_Devil said:

That is really cool, Durham is turning into such a neat little city. 

It definitely is.   For a city of its size, Durham is very vibrant.  

Also, I prefer the south side of Pettigrew Street to the north.  It has amazing things like the ATC, DPAC, the Bulls Stadium, the new Mangum Street complex, etc.  This amazing new project adds to its allure.

I wish that Duke and the companies in the RTP would transfer more things to downtown Durham.  I think that Durham can become the second best city in NC after Charlotte.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2020 at 1:00 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Not the ATC, but here's another project for the Bull City!

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article244360832.html

I live in Durham -- near this project and Northgate Mall.  There's a small, but vocal, crowd that thinks infill development is evil.  In this context, it is young hipsters and older hippies fighting these projects.  I want to ask them where they think development will go if it doesn't happen in these neighborhoods?  Would they prefer that it be built in the middle of nowhere, destroy more open space and disrupt more natural systems?  do they want jobs to be even more removed from where people live, especially poor people who can find jobs in gentrifying neighborhoods?  Neighborhood protectionists - specifically those fighting the redevelopment of inner city, empty lots, and abandoned buildings, are the same people screaming about sprawl and economic injustice.  Well folks, look in the mirror.  (Rant over)

• Like 4