American Tobacco Historic District

raleightransplant

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, carolina1792 said:

Trader Joe's generally prefers stand alone shops especially in mid-sized cities so don't get you hopes up on that brand. That space is going to be a hard sell even for ATC. 

Charlotte begs to differ; I'd say it's a possibility.

image.thumb.png.2769a145030383b8bcd27e280a6ab32f.png

25k is an odd size for a grocer though. There's Aldi, Lidl, and TJ's, who typically like stores in the 10-20k range, while Publix/HT etc very seldom go below 30k. So 25k is kind of a no man's land. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, orulz said:

Charlotte begs to differ; I'd say it's a possibility.

25k is an odd size for a grocer though. There's Aldi, Lidl, and TJ's, who typically like stores in the 10-20k range, while Publix/HT etc very seldom go below 30k. So 25k is kind of a no man's land. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

I think Charlotte would be offended to be called mid-sized. Who does Charlotte have to pay off to be considered a large metro!

Edited by carolina1792
  • Haha 3

Personally I’m skeptical that the grocery store will be much use there outside of the people working there or living within a few blocks. South Bank site or somewhere more central downtown would be much more beneficial. Getting in and out of that location by car seems like it will be really challenging with Willard and Jackson providing the only direct access. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 5:52 PM, Durham_Transplant said:

Personally I’m skeptical that the grocery store will be much use there outside of the people working there or living within a few blocks. South Bank site or somewhere more central downtown would be much more beneficial. Getting in and out of that location by car seems like it will be really challenging with Willard and Jackson providing the only direct access. 

The goal is to build a city where people walk to grocery stores.  Like real cities.   Most of what is under construction in Durham's downtown is residential.  Work places are just gravy.  One day, there will be fixed guideway transit between downtown Durham and RTP and RDU, that will also contribute to the success of a much more dense downtown Durham.  Durham's "only" problems are crime ,race and mismanagement by a hardly functional municipal government.  These things are going to kill the goose that's laying the golden eggs...

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2021 at 1:20 PM, Phillydog said:

The goal is to build a city where people walk to grocery stores.  Like real cities.   Most of what is under construction in Durham's downtown is residential.  Work places are just gravy.  One day, there will be fixed guideway transit between downtown Durham and RTP and RDU, that will also contribute to the success of a much more dense downtown Durham.  Durham's "only" problems are crime ,race and mismanagement by a hardly functional municipal government.  These things are going to kill the goose that's laying the golden eggs...

I understand all that. Before I moved here I spent 10 years living in “real” cities so I appreciate the pros and cons of walking to the grocery store. My point was that this location is at the very edge of the downtown core which makes it fairly inaccessible to a lot of the people living downtown. A more central location would be reachable for a lot more of the downtown population. Maybe we’ll get another grocery store downtown and it’s a moot point but for the time being anyone living on the other side of Main St from ATC is more than likely going to still be driving to the grocery store.

4 hours ago, Durham_Transplant said:

but for the time being anyone living on the other side of Main St from ATC is more than likely going to still be driving to the grocery store.

I mean it's far better to stick the grocery store on the ATC side of the tracks in terms of residential traffic.  There are more apartments surrounding the ATC than downtown proper.   You have the new condos being built to the West, the Cortland Bull City Apartments that replaced the old dilapidated hotel, Whetstone apartments by the bus station, the bust station traffic in general, Willard Apartments, Bullhouse Apartments, Van Alen Apartments, and 2-3 other new apartment buildings going up by Ciderworks right now.  Not to mention just the general office traffic picking up quick things on the way home from ATC, 555 Mangum, Avalara, etc.

While yes there is some residential on the other side of the tracks downtown, the ATC side has a wealth of footsteps that will keep a grocery store there bustling without batting an eye.

Edited by DPK
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

NC’s Second City (after Charlotte) is looking better and better.  This addition will be really nice.

P.S.: It’s really funny that people from Raleigh are puzzled when I express my opinion that Durham is better than Raleigh.

Edited by SydneycartonII
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Raleigh Walker said:

No one is puzzled by your opinion, just puzzled by why you feel the need to broadcast it so loudly on almost 100% of your posts. We get it- you're a hipster who dislikes Raleigh because you're too cool for that city. 

I'm not remotely a hipster.  I just find Raleigh to be really disappointing compared to Charlotte.  No one should care.  Many people here in CH tell me that they couldn't live in Charlotte, because it's a "crazy, big city."  Everyone likes different things.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1