Winston-Salem Ranks Amongst Top 50 in the World

AnEverydayJo

This is the top list for Quality of Life in the World. Corporations looking to relocate around the World use this list. Winston-Salem is the only North Carolina city that makes the list every year. That really says something about how great this city is to live in.

Personal Safety and Security

All of the Canadian cities covered by the survey appear in the top 20 rankings for personal safety and security. Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, and Vancouver rank jointly in position 18 with scores of 112.

In the US, Honolulu, Houston, Lexington, San Francisco, and Winston Salem rank highest in joint 45th position with scores of 104. Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Portland, and New York all follow in 58th place with scores of 100. The lowest scoring city in North America is Atlanta, ranked 90 with a score of 90.5, due to street crime and burglary.

Rank City Country Index

1 Geneva Switzerland 106.5

2 Zurich Switzerland 106.5

3 Vancouver Canada 106

3 Vienna Austria 106

5 Frankfurt Germany 105.5

5 Munich Germany 105.5

5 Dusseldorf Germany 105.5

8 Auckland New Zealand 105

8 Bern Switzerland 105

8 Copenhagen Denmark 105

8 Sydney Australia 105

12 Amsterdam Netherlands 104.5

13 Brussels Belgium 104

14 Toronto Canada 103.5

14 Melbourne Australia 103.5

14 Berlin Germany 103.5

14 Luxembourg Luxembourg 103.5

14 Stockholm Sweden 103.5

14 Wellington New Zealand 103.5

20 Ottawa Canada 103

20 Perth Australia 103

22 Montreal Canada 102.5

22 Nurnberg Germany 102.5

22 Dublin Ireland 102.5

25 Calgary Canada 102

25 Adelaide Australia 102

25 Hamburg Germany 102

25 Helsinki Finland 102

25 Honolulu United States 102

25 San Francisco United States 102

31 Brisbane Australia 101.5

31 Oslo Norway 101.5

31 Paris France 101.5

34 Singapore Singapore 101

34 Tokyo Japan 101

36 Lyon France 100.5

36 Yokohama Japan 100.5

36 Boston United States 100.5

39 London England 100

39 Kobe Japan 100

39 New York United States 100

42 Madrid Spain 99

42 Portland United States 99

42 Barcelona Spain 99

42 Washington United States 99

46 Winston Salem United States 98.5

46 Lexington United States 98.5

46 Osaka United States 98.5

46 Pittsburgh United States 98.5

46 Seattle United States 98.5

51 Chicago United States 98

51 Milan United States 98

53 Lisbon Portugal 97.5

53 Nagoya Japan 97.5

For more info: http://www.mercerhr.com/pressrelease/detai...t=1173105#notes

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool to see NC represented on a worldwide list, even if we are barely on it :) One of the criteria they use for evaluation is our country's relationship with others, as well as a slew of other considerations... I suspect that is one of the reasons why our cities are so far down on the list.

thats pretty suprising to me. Winston-Salem to my best of knowledge seems to retain its core population for many decades while other cities in the state are seeing a lot of newbies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I wonder why they stay....

As a former resident of Winston-Salem (I grew up there) and current resident of Charlotte (college), I definitely am not in the least bit surprised that Winston recieved such an honor. I love Charlotte and I think it's a great city, but many of the things that Charlotte is lacking, Winston-Salem definitely has goign for it.

-lots of historical buildings, districts, etc...

-a thriving arts community

-awesome local music scene (at least when i was there)

There are some other things that I miss about Winston-Salem that are not as easy to put in a list. I think a lot of the neighborhoods close to Winston's downtown (while some are blighted, I'll admit) blow Charlotte's out of the water when it comes to beauty and a sense of time-enhanced authenticity (forgive me if that doesn't make any sense, I was having a hard time finding the right words). Take the entire area around Hanes Park/Central YMCA/Reynolds High School for example (including the buena vista area). Spend a couple years there and I can see why you never want to leave. The neighborhoods are simply stunning and within walking distance is an awesome good size public park, a YMCA, one of the best hospitals in the Southeast (NC Babtist), and one of the nicest, oldest, and best public high schools in the state (RJReynolds... my alma mater)... and i'm not biased.... seriously, I'm not ;-)

Winston does have a very active arts community downtown and in the city proper. The city leaders seem more (relative to the Triad metro)active when it comes to sustaining urban vitality and in promoting responsible development. Although the demise of Krispy Kreme will substantially hinder their planned downtown HQ development.

Any official word on Krispy Kreme's downtown development?

Archived