Stott Building to be converted to Residential?

Allan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really, they should have never torn the old Capitol Building down in Detroit. Then, this wouldn't even be an issue. It would have acted like a tomb/museum.

A park is always a dangerous thing to turn an old historical site into. The reason I say dangerous are because even parks are attractive to developers to build on, and often end up being developed.

I know here in Lansing, there is no such thing a "park" zone. There is simply an agreement that the parks will not be built on, but agreements don't hold as strong as laws. We had a huge fight over a small park here in Lansing which ultimately was used for housing.

The Capitol Building started out looking somewhat like this. It was originally built as a regional courthouse in 1823. It was turned into the capitol building when Michigan became a state in 1837. By the time this photo was taken, it had been converted into the city's high school.

capitolunionhighschool.jpg

I'm not sure if they remodeled the capitol or if they tore it down to build this.

CaptiolHighSchool_03.jpg

The building burned in 1893, and was torn down to create Capitol Park.

captiolhighschoolruinsafterfire-1890s.jpg

I seem to remember hearing that they remodeled it into the second building, but that was after the capital moved. It looks more like and entire reconstruction than a remodeling, doesn't it?

BTW, here's a cool picture of Lansing showing the second and latest capitol. The second one (Lansing's first) was torn down.

hal_mhc_sa_cap20695_51363_7.jpg

In this pic, you probably can't see it but it would be in the shadow of the current capitol

hal_mhc_sa_cap20544_51360_7.jpg

• 2 years later...

The David Stott is one of my favorite buildings, and it will be great to see it all cleaned up.

One time I was in the lobby, and it was actually pretty busy despite the mega low occupancy. When the building is full, I think it will be a very bustling, social place.

Archived