Greenville/Upstate = Bible Belt?

UrbanSoutherner

South Carolina as a whole was recently ranked as one of the most generous states in the nation when it came to supporting charities and things of that nature.

I also think it's interesting that the new president of the SBC (I think he's the pastor of FBC in Taylors) is viewed as something of a moderate within the convention, a more toned-downed version of the stereotypical fire-and-brimstone Southern Baptist preacher.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

South Carolina as a whole was recently ranked as one of the most generous states in the nation when it came to supporting charities and things of that nature.

I also think it's interesting that the new president of the SBC (I think he's the pastor of FBC in Taylors) is viewed as something of a moderate within the convention, a more toned-downed version of the stereotypical fire-and-brimstone Southern Baptist preacher.

Greenville-Spartanburg is DEFinitely the most conservative part of the state.

Latest example: while spending time in those two cities recently, I searched the airwaves for a station I could tolerate. The choices were Christian/Gospel (about 30%), country (about 25%), easy listening (about 20%)with "other" such as urban or Hispanic getting the rest. While the latter two were not necessarily conservative, the remaining choices sealed it--I was never going to find any modern or alternative rock in either place!

This is anectodal evidence, I know, but tangible nonetheless.

One thing I have observed: cities where traditionally the movers and shakers are/were non-Protestant (such as Savannah, New Orleans, or New York) are more relaxed when it comes to social mores. On the other hand, cities with a low religious diversity are much more conservative. I could not live in Greenville-Spartanburg because of those cities' low tolerance for anything "alternative". I believe this holds these potentially great cities back considerably.

Latest example: while spending time in those two cities recently, I searched the airwaves for a station I could tolerate. The choices were Christian/Gospel (about 30%), country (about 25%), easy listening (about 20%)with "other" such as urban or Hispanic getting the rest. While the latter two were not necessarily conservative, the remaining choices sealed it--I was never going to find any modern or alternative rock in either place!

One thing I have observed: cities where traditionally the movers and shakers are/were non-Protestant (such as Savannah, New Orleans, or New York) are more relaxed when it comes to social mores. On the other hand, cities with a low religious diversity are much more conservative. I could not live in Greenville-Spartanburg because of those cities' low tolerance for anything "alternative". I believe this holds these potentially great cities back considerably.

Dude your nuts. I listen to 93.3 the planet which is modern rock mixed with some older stuff/alternative and 96.7 all the time with is some more older rock also. Just being in columbia does not make that big of a difference. Ive been there many times and it dont feel much different to me. Your only talking about 100 miles. There isnt going to be that big of a difference there. I dont even go to church and could care less for it so religion does not make that big of a deal to me anyway.

I'm in Augusta man, not California. :D I can pick up 93.3 and used to listen to it sometimes back when it played okay music and not all that active rock stuff--for some reason it doesn't come in that clear anymore though.

Columbia has a pretty decent rock station, I think 93.5. Plus USC plays some good music sometimes. Don't get me wrong, they don't compare to 96 Wave in Charleston---of course not much does.

^ Ha, it's a pretty fun party---NASCAR on water.

Um, I haven't really been to Greenville too many times, but I've been to Pickens County and up in that area, and my brother goes to Greenville all the time. Based on his opinions, Greenville seems to be a pretty progressive place. I"m not sure whether it's as progressive as Columbia. I do think the bible belt tag is a bit unfair (I don't really see how an entire area can be judged because of one small college--we have a medical college down here, but it doesn't mean I'm a doctor!!!).

You are basing the livability and acceptability of a region on a scan across the dial?! :blink: That is insane! I know for a fact that you can find ANY kind of group living in perfect harmony here in the Upstate - including the many of the ones who are completely in opposition to the religious right. If you believe that then you are the one being held back by such shallow research/knowledge of this place. :whistling:

Dude your nuts. I listen to 93.3 the planet which is modern rock mixed with some older stuff/alternative and 96.7 all the time with is some more older rock also. Just being in columbia does not make that big of a difference. Ive been there many times and it dont feel much different to me. Your only talking about 100 miles. There isnt going to be that big of a difference there. I dont even go to church and could care less for it so religion does not make that big of a deal to me anyway.

You need to do more research before making such a blind statement. You need to come visit me and my lover, gay male professionals. And while you're here, you can chat with some of my employees who happen to be Thai, white, Japanese, Indian, straight, bi, gay, Mormon, atheist, Episcopal.

Having moved here a few years ago, I've haven't seen anything that I would term as "held back". Having major international headquarters, landing the largest player in the SC economy (BMW), a vibrant downtown, major tourist growth, landing the USPRO, having Gary Player and other famous golfers moving to the area, exploding retail from national retailers, a county/city that has rebuilt almost 100% of it's schools. Those are not qualities of a place being "held back".

Check again my friend. :)

I think it is fair to say that one can get the impression, when in Greenville-Spartanburg, that the religious right dominates. I have been encouraged, however, that a more tolerant/accepting attitude toward those more in the center of the spectrum has begun, as you illustrated. That is critical to becoming a progressive place, which is what we want, right?

Yes, Greenville's business and industry are shining jewels in the state's crown. But that still doesn't mean it isn't the buckle of the Bible Belt. IMO and in my experience, true or not, it is.

Greenville posters: all of our cities have their pros and cons. Admitting to a negative perception takes honesty, and this dialogue is healthy. A perception is not a fatal flaw: the pros of the Upstate far outweigh any cons, of course!

I grew up in Myrtle Beach and relatively speaking it was one of the most liberal places in the state at the time. It never observed any blue laws, the influences of the churches were almost zero and the beach atmosphere tolerated many things that would be simply unacceptable in the rest of the state. (ironically by the same people). I thought this was normal stuff.

My first experience with living somewhere else was when I went to Furman after getting out of high school. I don't particularly remember Greenville being that conservative of a place except for the stories about the poor people trapped and being brainwashed inside Bob Jones University. It was a new concept that things closed so early and didn't open at all on Sunday, but beyond that it didn't seem that much different from the rest of SC. I will admit that in the late 70s, society was much less polarized and it was less conservative than it is these days so it may have changed. My stay in Greenville was cut short as I got thrown out of Furman because I partied too much. They don't like this at this school so maybe upstate is on the conservative side now that I think about it. I moved to NC after that.

I grew up in Myrtle Beach and relatively speaking it was one of the most liberal places in the state at the time. It never observed any blue laws, the influences of the churches were almost zero and the beach atmosphere tolerated many things that would be simply unacceptable in the rest of the state. (ironically by the same people). I thought this was normal stuff.

My first experience with living somewhere else was when I went to Furman after getting out of high school. I don't particularly remember Greenville being that conservative of a place except for the stories about the poor people trapped and being brainwashed inside Bob Jones University. It was a new concept that things closed so early and didn't open at all on Sunday, but beyond that it didn't seem that much different from the rest of SC. I will admit that in the late 70s, society was much less polarized and it was less conservative than it is these days so it may have changed. My stay in Greenville was cut short as I got thrown out of Furman because I partied too much. They don't like this at this school so maybe upstate is on the conservative side now that I think about it. I moved to NC after that.

Honesty, YES. Inaccurate statements which perpetuate a negative image, without facts, NO. Greenville is no more a Bible belt buckle than Columbia, Birmingham, Nashville, Jackson, Montgomery, etc. Is Greenville more typical Anglo-Saxon white than Columbia? Yes. Look at the percentages in the census. Do all these Anglo-Saxon whites go to church? Not the ones I've met. I'll happily admit to any flaw, if it is really there. Please don't make blanket statements which are assumed. Not defending Greenville.....defending accuracy.

Yes, it IS more the buckle than those other cities. The buckle of the Bible Belt means it is not only religious/conservative, but a bastion of that group. You want a fact (other than the ones that other posters have already laid out there concerning voting records)? OK, Greenville is the home of Bob Jones University. There you go. Another one: Rep. Mike Fair. I could go on . .

I dont think people from outside our upstate area really have an idea of the small if any impact that bob jones has on the area. Those people that go there are hardly seen anywhere. As a matter of fact they are the topic of numerous jokes around the area. Bob Jones is very strict on people that go there and i think it is ridiculous. Im not no religious freak but i love living in the upstate. Mainly because of the mountains and being so close to all the lakes. I dont really think the urban area of greenville is that conservative. Youll find that more out in the country areas just like anywhere else in the state. I still have to hold my toungue when i do hear people from these areas speak about all their religious hoopla.

I will say that I think that Greenville gets an unfair rep because of BJU. The only time I remember the institution really being in the news (besides a visit from Pres. Bush, not a big deal) was about the whole ban on interracial dating. I think it might also be noteworthy to mention that BJU moved to Greenville many years ago from somewhere outside the state.

I also don't think I could use Rep. Fair as an indicator either. If I were going by state political representation, I'd have to go with Charleston as being the most conservative just because of McConnell alone. But Charleston can't be THAT conservative, as in the last election more people voted against Amendment 1 than for it.

That said, I will say that I think that the Greenville area is the most conservative part of the state, but not for those reasons stated. But I don't think we should hinge "regression" with "conservatism," as we are so often prone to do.

It is a shame that some people evidently equate Christian beliefs with intolerance. The percentage of Christians in the U.S. (~80% is a conservative estimate) suggests that the country as a whole strongly reflects Christianity's ideals and values. Last time I checked, our country is a place where freedoms, beliefs, backgrounds, and differences are embraced and encouraged. If Chrisitians were intolerant, things would be much different in our country, wouldn't they? It's really quite funny how Christians are painted with the conservative, close-minded brush, yet countries where other religions predominate in society and government are considerably more controlling and authoritative. Just something to think about...

It is a shame that some people evidently equate Christian beliefs with intolerance. The percentage of Christians in the U.S. (~80% is a conservative estimate) suggests that the country as a whole strongly reflects Christianity's ideals and values. Last time I checked, our country is a place where freedoms, beliefs, backgrounds, and differences are embraced and encouraged. If Chrisitians were intolerant, things would be much different in our country, wouldn't they? It's really quite funny how Christians are painted with the conservative, close-minded brush, yet countries where other religions predominate in society and government are considerably more controlling and authoritative. Just something to think about...

Archived