Carolina Circle Mall (Greensboro) photos

StevenRocks

I took some pictures of Carolina Circle Mall (1976-2002) in Greensboro and posted them online at my blog and photo site.

Along with being a mall buff and having fond memories of the mall, I read in the Greensboro paper that Wal-Mart is building a new Supercenter on the site of Carolina Circle, located on the northeast side of town. That of course means that part, if not all, of the complex will have to be torn down to accommodate the new store and several others planned for the site. As the mall disappears, so does a big chunk of Greensboro retail history.

As it faded into obscurity, a local developer and health club magnate attempted to turn Carolina Circle into the largest sports complex in the Carolinas. After turning several parking lots into soccer fields and realizing remodeling a mall into a sports center was prohibitively expensive, the impending development of middle-class housing at the nearby Reedy Fork subdivision and retailer interest in the property led the developer to consider building a big-box retail development on the site.

Enter Wal-Mart and the new plans, which will restore vitality to an area in serious need of it. One can say what one wants to about how Wal-Mart

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://stevenswain.blogspot.com/2005/03/ca...ensboro-nc.html

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stevenswain/...hUIPtCBkfT6OeWq

those links work.. the one you posted was a 404 error.

anyway, cool pictures. I've been meaning to get out there in the daytime and take pics but never have the chance to venture on that side of town

Honestly that mall gives me the creeps! :lol: It is a shame that nothing can be done with it, and a bigger shame that a nasty Walmart is going to go there. I have been in that mall maybe once or twice back in the 1980s with my grandparents--they loved shopping in Greensboro and Winston-Salem for some reason.

The styling somehow reminds me of Spotsylvania Mall in Virginia, but maybe it's just the Montgomery Ward :D

The styling somehow reminds me of Spotsylvania Mall in Virginia, but maybe it's just the Montgomery Ward :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Montgomery Ward is incredibly odd. It used to have muticolored tiles on the concrete berms upstairs and that made it look even weirder. The inside had every '70s retail decorating trick in the book. If there was an obnoxious color palette that wasn't used in that store, I'd be shocked :)

The most shocking part is that there is a plaque inside that store commemorating the designer! Apparently that was his master work for Wards! It's on the right wall of the right-front entrance if it hasn't been looted. If they tear the place down soon, I want that plaque!

I used to make fun of that store all the time, but now that it's almost gone I feel a little nostalgic about it. One thing's for sure though; it looked a whole lot better than the Sears at Friendly Center :silly:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kittysunflow...r=/248f&.src=ph

I found these photos of mine that I took in 1983. We started seeing hot air balloons floating around...and curiousity got the best of us. I went with our next door neighbor to get a closer look and took these pictures that day. It was late summer of that year. If you look closely at one, you can see the color tile sign in the background. In another you can catch a small glimpse of the mall itself. All taken with my 'lil ole 126 camera :)

This picture was taken about 3 months before Toys R' Us was demolished. I remember when that place was demolished. It was about 7:30 in the morning when I went by there in May. I noticed some heavy duty piece of equipment was embeded in the brown part of the roof. I went back by there later that day and more than half of it was gone. That building was gone in about 2 days. I knew then that ccm was next on the list.

post-4608-1122866189_thumb.jpg

post-4608-1122866189_thumb.jpg

When did Toys R Us close? Why was it demolished before the rest of the mall?

btw that looks pretty much exactly like the Toys R Us in Wilmington at College and Oleander

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im sure someone has an exact date. I know it's been closed several years. It's not the only thing that has been torn down already beyond the mall. There was a bank over there just as you made the turn to go right onto Ring Rd. Last time I saw the site of the bank, all you could see standing was the vault.

• 4 months later...

Archived