Harris Teeter

I go to Harris Teeter because they carry more vegan products, are cleaner, and have more pleasant employees.

I was in Bilo on the corner of ideal and park rd last week and had my cashier takea cell phone call during the entire process, and the bag boy was popping a unbelievably large zit in front of us. That store is a dump, the employees are all borderline retarded, and their food selection is wonderful if you want a coronary by the time you hit 30, but wretched if you actually want fresh, organic food.

If I have to pay a slightly higher price to avoid that so be it.

I count the secods until Whole Foods gets here.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go to Harris Teeter because they carry more vegan products, are cleaner, and have more pleasant employees.

I was in Bilo on the corner of ideal and park rd last week and had my cashier takea  cell phone call during the entire process, and the bag boy was popping a unbelievably large zit in front of us.  That store is a dump, the employees are all borderline retarded, and their food selection is wonderful if you want a coronary by the time you hit 30, but wretched if you actually want fresh, organic food.

If I have to pay a slightly higher price to avoid that so be it.

I count the secods until Whole Foods gets here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's gross about Bi-Lo. I would have thought, being in Dilworth, that it would have at least been classier than that.

that's gross about Bi-Lo.  I would have thought, being in Dilworth, that it would have at least been classier than that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the bi-lo at ballantyne near the end of elm st. in south charlotte is a dump as well. the style is from like 1965 or something, and once I went there for a PT a long time ago and the manager like totally ignored me? i wonder why bi-lo went under.?!?!

the bi-lo at ballantyne near the end of elm st. in south charlotte is a dump as well.  the style is from like 1965 or something, and once I went there for a PT a long time ago and the manager like totally ignored me?  i wonder why bi-lo went under.?!?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really hope Kroger or Publix acquires Bi-Lo or Winn-Dixie[or both] and spruces up stores, that would be great.

I went to a meeting tonight on the Elizabeth Ave. Development. I'll post more about it in another thread but the Whole Foods that is in the works is going for a LEED certification and is being designed by McDonough & Partners which is a firm noted for sustainability and environmental consciousness. I was also able to see a rendering for the store, which I was unable to find later online. The store was very modern in design with a lot of glass and a very asymmetrical design with glass peaks.

If the Piper Glen Harris Teeter closes, an interesting thing might happen. That store is right next to the Target there. I can see Target acquiring that extra space and remodeling it into a SuperTarget. You never know...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not the Piper Glen Harris Teeter, that's the Stonecrest Harris Teeter. The Piper Glen Harris Teeter is at the corner of Rea Road and Bevington Lane, about 1.5 miles north on Rea Rd

Since this is quickly turning into an anti-Wal-Mart thread (i hope), I just read that Montana has decided to tax large retailers that don't pay a living wage an extra 2%.......hahaha.....make those margins work now Wal-Mart!!!!  The effect is to cover the subsidies payed by the state to Wal-Mart employees.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A book you might enjoy, if you haven't read it already, is Nickel & Dimed in America by Barbara Ehrenreich. There's a great commentary from the worker's perspective. There is a somewhat circular argument about taxes going to subsidize Walmart salaries, supported by the evidence of low wages and encouragement by management to sign up for public assistance. I don't necessarily agree with the premise, but it was an interesting discussion about the impact such a large organization has on so many facets of our economy. Also enjoyed that Frontline/PBS program about their price setting practices. Very very interesting. Is Walmart becoming a microeconomic version of the Fed - setting the cost of buying and selling in America?

I've thumbed the book, though perhaps I should read it in its entirity.

Wal-Mart certainly sets the cost of buying and selling among it suppliers....and I would say indirectly, the cost of most competitors. It buy so low in some cases that manufactures must raise their prices higher than they normally would to other retailers, which sets up even a great price disparity than already existed, and putting more pressure on the average retailer......

I certainly believe at some point within the next 15 years that Wal-Mart will enter a decline. Whether from manufactures chosing to longer lose money selling to them, trade-restrictions, shifting consumer patterns, taxes targeting them, lack of expansion potential, lawsuits, or ideally a combination of all of these plus the bubonic plague affecting all it's leadership.

Wal-Mart is a product of the downside of capitalism. As consumers, we are ultimately responsible for its quick rise. After all, Americans demand more for less, yet complain bitterly about the loss of jobs to Asian manufacturers. We have to learn that we can't have it both ways.

I'm proud to say that I don't darken their doors.

Wal-Mart is a product of the downside of capitalism.  As consumers, we are ultimately responsible for its quick rise.  After all, Americans demand more for less, yet complain bitterly about the loss of jobs to Asian manufacturers.  We have to learn that we can't have it both ways. 

I'm proud to say that I don't darken their doors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well put miesian corners! we are ultimately responsible. I don't feel the least bit guilty for shopping there. Take the simple case of a DVD...almost averages $4-5 less at wal-mart than at Media Play, FYE, Circuit City or somewhere like that. I guess some people in this post think it is the 1950's and want everything to be mom and pop stores again, but that's just not the way it is now. Even people who make over $100,000 a year still shop at places like Wal mart and Target because they are cheaper than mom and pop stores.

I went to a meeting tonight on the Elizabeth Ave. Development.  I'll post more about it in another thread but the Whole Foods that is in the works is going for a LEED certification and is being designed by McDonough & Partners which is a firm noted for sustainability and environmental consciousness.  I was also able to see a rendering for the store, which I was unable to find later online.  The store was very modern in design with a lot of glass and a very asymmetrical design with glass peaks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is an article about Whole Foods new concept store that opened a few weeks ago. Pretty interesting.

USA Today

I guess some people in this post think it is the 1950's and want everything to be mom and pop stores again, but that's just not the way it is now.  Even people who make over $100,000 a year still shop at places like Wal mart and Target because they are cheaper than mom and pop stores.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, mediamongrel. But even back in the '50s, there was Sears, Woolworth's, A&P, Penney's and a host of other chains that were the dominant retailers of their day. You could make an argument that those chains destroyed local flavor and sucked money out of the community, so it's not like Wal-Mart and Target invented this stuff.

I agree, mediamongrel.  But even back in the '50s, there was Sears, Woolworth's, A&P, Penney's and a host of other chains that were the dominant retailers of their day.  You could make an argument that those chains destroyed local flavor and sucked money out of the community, so it's not like Wal-Mart and Target invented this stuff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True

Ok, so guess what guys. A new Harris Teeter has been proposed at the corner of Ardrey Kell and Johnston Road, and it's to anchor a 109,000 square foot shopping center. (1/2 a mile from the state line). If the Harris Teeter goes up, that would make it the 9th Harris Teeter store in the 28277 zip code, making it the most HT saturated zip code anywhere.

Already, in 28277, theres a HT at:

-The Arboretum (Providence Road at Pineville-Matthews)

-Ballantyne Commons (Johnston Road at Ballantyne Commons Pkwy)

-Piper Glen (Rea Rd at Bevington Ln)

-Providence Commons (Providence Road at Ballantyne Commons Pkwy)

-Rea Village (Providence Road at Ardrey Kell)

-Stonecrest (Rea Road at Ballantyne Commons Parkway)

Proposed Teeters:

-Rea Road at Ardrey Kell

-Tom Short at Ardrey Kell

and now... Johnston Road at Ardrey Kell.

In 28277, the other grocery stores are a Lowes Food at Johnston Rd and Lancaster Hwy, a Lowes food is being built at Providence and 485, and there's a Bi-Lo at Elm Ln and Camfield St.

This is HT's whole philosophy now. Grab every anchor spot so no other chain can come in. Belk did the same thing by co-developing shopping malls in Charlotte thereby keeping new department stores out of the market for so many years.

I gues HT really lives up to it's tag line "Your neighborhood food market" in 28277.

Wal - Mart is like the New York Yankees of Retail. There the best retailer in terms of results, but everyone hates them?? Doesnt make much sense. I guess alot of people in America really love Wal-Mart. As far as setting there prices from manufacturers i dont buy that. The manufacturer is not loosing money at all. They will sell more units at wal mart than any other retailer so why shouldnt wal mart get a special price they sell more of it, so you want to keep wal mart happy. Its pure business and the people at the top of wal mart, the buyers and such these people must be doing one hell of a job then. Also, I dont think wal mart is the only retailer thats hurting jobs in the US in terms of foriegn jobs. Look at target, and the rest of them. Alot of things are imported. But I dont think you can blame a business for making more money by going overseas, rather than pay way more money for the same thing here, thats just simple thinking. anyhow, i just shop where its convenient not a wal mart lover or anything. The newer wal marts are really pretty nice and the old ones get a reputation of slummy people crowding the stores.

I'm not necessarily bemoaning the good old days, or believing that the retail world should remain static, but to chose to ignore Wal-Mart's business practices is just ignorant. It's not my right to tell people where to shop, or stores who to buy from, but the Wal-Mart mentality has infected a large portion of this populations minds......people love to have a large quantity of goods.....they feel that they are owed a large house, lots of land, and lots of cheap crap to fill it up. Then we all turn around and complain about sprawl, losing American jobs, small retailers going out of business, declining quality of goods, pollution, lack of close knit community, and this list could go on......I might be coming across as one of those doomsday prophets, but it truly comes down to most people want more for less, and Wal-Mart epitomizes this mentality.

Archived