Harris Teeter

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

The official announcement:

Harris Teeter to close South Charlotte store

Harris Teeter announced Friday that it would close its Piper Glenn store on Rea Road .

Company officials said the store would be closed on or before May 24, 2005.

The company will offer the 57 store employees positions in other places in the company.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I just saw that. A lot of people who live in the apartments behind Piper Glen are PISSED b/c they can't WALK to the grocery store anymore. Same thing happened when HT closed in Providence Square Apartments... b/c it didn't fit their demographics they moved to Colony at Rea. I can't believe that they're just gonna close the store and keep paying the lease on it....

by the way someone needs to tell WCNC 'Glen' has one n.. lol

A Bloom or Lowes Foods store should open there. How does Piper Glen not fit Harris Teeter's demographics???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't it that HT was still gonna pay the lease on it even though there won't be a store there? If it was either of those stores though, Lowe's is the likely candidate because Bloom won't dare enter south Charlotte territory.

I don't understand the demographic reason either... Piper Glen is solid upper class besides those apartments and those are pretty nice apartments...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In addition, a new HT is being built down Rea Road (past Stonecrest) in Blakeny (rea rd at ardrey kell)

I don't think that as actual coporate policy rather just an assumption by cantnot based on current circumstances of none being currently present. I do eventually see one coming to the southside, in the higher class areas. They look well run and clean.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I assumed... but then I also e-mailed them and they said they don't have any current plans to build stores in the south Charlotte region that's dominated by HT's..

Also to shine some more light on this HT, the Observer said that it's 3,066 sf and the store opened in 1990

RIP Piper Glen HT... 1990-2005

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/11676283.htm

Can anyone tell me where 7725 Regency Lake Drive and 5706 Wyalong Drive are because for the life of me I can't find it. I'm assuming both are brand new roads and mappoint, yahoo or google doesn't have it yet.

I also looked on Sexton Construction's website but couldn't find anything.

I was hoping Harris Teeter (or another shopping center) would announce to build beside The Arlington/Factory South Lofts in the horrible looking space that used to be the trolly barn.

I believe this is going to be used by CATS for the LRS, but it would be nice to have some retail over there...at least then I can walk to do my shopping...at the minute it is 15mins to HT on East Boulevard which is a pain.

thx

-keith

I wonder where someone could find out what CATS 'really' plans for that site?

A few times when I have been riding the trolley into town, the conductor person has said that CATS are going to use the spot to support LRS, but also that there are going to be retail and condos sharing the space... I wonder where that information originiated from?

thx

-keith

Crescent Resources owns the land and there were plans to do a large mixed use "village" project there with Pappas called Manchester Village.....it is still planned but on indefinite hold.

CATS had a 1 year option to buy the old Trolley Barn that you are referring to and was going to restore it to semi-original condition. It would replace what is at Tremont now and would also be a Trolley Museum. This has also been put on indefinte hold due to the rising cost of the South LRT line, as money planned for this is now being used towards the actual line construction costs.

The option expires in a month or two and it seems unlikely CATS will have the funds to buy it. The end result is that it will likely be demolished, and the trolleys will continue to use the Tremont barn.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/new...on/10632201.htm

The trolley barn is planned to be a trolley museum and for moving the historic trolley maintenance from atherton. Pappas has made plans for a mud on the rest of the crescent/duke land, but i'm not so sure it would be big enough, or have the right access for HT, but possibly.

Thanks for the great information Hamlet, I had no idea CATS was changing focus so many times....but I will keep my fingers crossed for a large grocery store, does not really need to be a HT...but that would be nice to have.

Once that free space is occupied with multi-use, South End between I277 and a little past Atherton will be truly great...next thing will be LRT and development will only continue to grow (I hope)...

thx

-keith

Archived